• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are these?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are these?

Checking crops in the hills today. Went to check on cherry bushes. I think they're a sour cherry. They taste better than chokes. Anyone know what they are exactly?

Goose berry's...

Comment

High-Bush Cranberry.

Comment

I did that once during harvest went into a section of bush beside us while I was trucking in 2004 had lots of time. Found a tree with awesome berries ate one then a few and finally a hand ful went back to truck about a half hour later the road started moving and I lost my balance and eyes got blurry. Went home to bed. The next day I still had effects went to the DR. While I was waiting I was talking with a lab tec I knew and he started laughing.

When I went up town to get the mail I had a hard time lifting my feet to get up the curb it was like I was pissed in the middle of the afternoon.

He said what I took was what the medicine man use to take to hallucinate and come up with stuff. It lasted three days till I could get back to the city.

My harvest crew wasn't impressed.

I'm thinking a goose berry is what you ate.

Went back to find the tree haven't ever seen the berries again.

Comment

Gooseberries are striped.

Comment

Yea your right gooseberries have a stripe. Well if your f$&ked up for three. Days I think you found my tree again

Comment

Choke cherries. The leaves are a give away.

Comment

I'd say high bush cranberry too, we have a lot of them here.

Comment

Those leaves don't look like the wild choke cherries that grow around here. I've never seen anything here in the wild that looks like that. Where did you find them, in an old yard or in the bushes? The only natual fruit bearing bushes I ever recall seeing around here are Saskatoons and choke cherry...I would think there's others further north.

I don't think it's possible but the leaves and fruit almost looks like a g**** but the fruit doesn't seem to be like a g**** cluster on the plant doesn't look like a vine.
                  Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 12, 2017, 06:40.

Comment

Yep, high bush cranberries. The Assiniboine called them Pembina. My wife used to make cranberry ketchup from them that made harvest time hamburgers into something magical.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      The only natual fruit bearing bushes I ever recall seeing around here are Saskatoons and choke cherry...I would think there's others further north.
                      I'd guess the other way - we have a huge diversity of plants here including many fruit bearing bushes compared to what we had in Alberta. More heat, more warm season grasses and forbs and more fruit and berries - a more forgiving climate perhaps?

Comment

5 kinds of edible mushrooms goosberries highbush cranberries currants hazelnuts blueberries wild strawberries crab apples chokecherries saskatoons wild raspberries

Watercress wild turnip sheperds purse.

All grow north of the bush line that's where they are native. Lower elevations more water and protection from elements...

Always joked if the apocalypse happened we could survive in the bush hunting and collecting. Haha.

Comment

Too bad my great grandma died when I was so young. 92 years of poor health got her in the end. Apparently she was a real student of nature. She'd advise grappa when to dehorn, castrate and ween by the moon.

Yeah those highbush cranberries. It's the only spot in this country that has them. I'd like to propagate them at home for the kids. My gardening is a write off so I like stuff like rhubarb which is half wild. Razziea, toons, chokes, pins, grow wild here. The heavy clay makes gardening a challenge.

Comment

Klause....I'm not sure if I'd starve to death or freeze to death first in the winter down here in the relatively wide open spaces. I'm going to live with Braveheart or Parsely...maybe she has enough preserves to outlast a nuclear armageddon!

Comment

At community gardens in Regina near the university(NW corner) there are a row of tall shrubs with leaves like that and lots of cranberries.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...