• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SK map with 2016 Canola production

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SK map with 2016 Canola production

Good to get an idea of where production came from last year to gauge what kind of cut there will be to total production for 2017.
    000's of tonnes
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SAR Sask.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	777676

Now over lay it with a "percent of normal precipitation map" for 2017...

Comment

Yorkton will be the same kelvington to kamsack will be the same Hudson bay better but with unseeded the same Pa to Alberta border same as last year or just higher.

Rest all lower to some way lower.

Comment

Moosimin the same Moosejaw way lower.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if every area is lower than last year.
          Largest losses to total production could be in the triangle within Saskatoon, Swift Current and Regina area.

The big unknown for some areas with good crops is that they are very late. Frost?

Comment

Very cool map. Areas that don't produce much will be down a lot. That being said. North is ok. I was thinking before I seen this, 2/3s of 5 year average. But I'd guess now more like 75% of 5 year average for this year. Just a wild ass guess of course.

Comment

I think there will be some big surprises, in what a lot of people think, are good stands of canola.

Just like the pics showing up on Agtalk of corn cobs only half filled with kernels, in some cases only a handful of kernels, due to the high heat during pollination.

There are many tall, green, full looking stands of canola from the road(and satellite I'm sure too), that when you walk in and have a good look,,,are full of blanks from the heat blast.

We have good avg looking crops from the road, but I'm afraid the combines might tell another tale.

Comment

Canola here 6 fist fulls high last year. 3 to 4 this year. Down a third last year 50 bpa this year 35-37.

"Average" crop.

Comment

From the road, I see no canola with a lean this year. Some still finishing flowering.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                    From the road, I see no canola with a lean this year. Some still finishing flowering.
                    I note the same observation here. This may very well be the posture of newer higher yeilding varieties and better genetics. Most years with that abundant leaning canola it was easier to walk on top of it than through it. .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...