• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade Irritant

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trade Irritant

With NAFTA negotiations set to be up for discussion, the Saskatchewan wheat commission has needlessly gone out of its way to support a trade irritant.
    With the big wheat board issue out of the way, there remains a seeingly minor regulation that discriminates against United States growers who deliver wheat to a Canadian licensed elevator.
    Rather than getting it resolved, our wheat commission wants to keep things as they are.
    Ralph Goodale has said he is not interested in bringing the board back, he could demonstrate good faith in trade negotiations by supporting change to this regulation.

Is the issue the discrimination of their varieties they're delivering. Are they the same varieties of American wheat grown by Canadians that are in the other classes in Canada?

Canada Northern Hard Red

Canada Western Special

Which class does it fall into...I bet theirs goes into CWS purpose?

I still think if we can distinguish our grain as a higher quality and set ourselves apart from the "lowest common denominator"....that maybe isn't the worst thing. As long as there's a premium for such back to the farm gate. In any given year we likely have grain grown in Western Canada that can compete with lower quality wheat grown around the world. Let's not be part of the race to the bottom.

Comment

SK Wheat has a board that operates on philosophy rather than examining facts and determining the best course of action. Over 3 million tonnes go south per year, and something less than 100,000 come north. So ya, fair...
      We as farmers should also be questioning why this same board put their executive director on the CIGI board, taking up a farmer spot, and sitting alongside the SW chair;his supervisor. No other directors interested or qualified?
      Just reminding everyone there is an election this fall and an opportunity to change SW to be less NFU and more real farmers.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
        SK Wheat has a board that operates on philosophy rather than examining facts and determining the best course of action. Over 3 million tonnes go south per year, and something less than 100,000 come north. So ya, fair...
        We as farmers should also be questioning why this same board put their executive director on the CIGI board, taking up a farmer spot, and sitting alongside the SW chair;his supervisor. No other directors interested or qualified?
        Just reminding everyone there is an election this fall and an opportunity to change SW to be less NFU and more real farmers.
        Can I nominate you quad?

http://www.saskwheatcommission.com/about-sask-wheat/elections/

Comment

Does Canada need those 100K tonnes as much as the US needs the Canadian 300 million tonnes? They're not exporting it....they're "using" it. I think it is totally(or at least somewhat) different.

I'm not saying remain protectionist. Maybe the wrong "tests" are being done to see where it can actually be mixed/blended/binned to.

I wonder if the "handlers" enjoy the spread!

Comment

Oh yeah, and don't forget the exchange rate. Do Americans want to be paid in Canadian Tire money?

Comment

No American is going to drive past a bunch of terminals for a lower price.....what irritant?

7 bucks in north Dakota is close to 9 Canadian. ...was only there for a few seconds....

Comment

It will become a large trade irritant with US Wheat Associates finding Trumps ear.

KAP has taken their usual poorly thought out position on this and plan on being hard on US imports, as they fear US misrepresentation. Butch Harder = dumbass.

Glenn should be CWRS and Prosper, Faller, Elgin should be DNS whether from the US or CA.

When we deliver wheat to a US elevator we are treated just like a US farmer. Not all elevators do that, a few discount, just don't haul there. There's lots of options.

Not giving reciprocity leaves NAFTA vulnerable.

Comment

How would our customers know that they are getting Canadian Wht when that is what they want?
                  What happens if there is problems with a sale, wrong variety in class or MRL and issue is traced back to USA wht? How do we deal with them?
                  Italy wants COOL how can we gaurentee it is Canadian if we allow USA to be co mingled?

What was Ritz's plan to address these issues when he got rid of CWB surely he knew it would be an issue thought it through.

Comment

Doesn't matter if they use it, export it or stockpile it-if we get treated fairly delivering to an American elevator, so should an American farmer delivering here.
                    As far as MRL issue, deal with it the same. Sign a declaration. Same for variety. How is it any different?
                    Can't be asking for free and fair trade but only one direction.
                    I hope someone reasonable does run for SW. I'm busy on another commodity board.

Comment

Ritz had no plan (he couldn't Organize a 2 car Parade ). He simply handed everything Over to the Industry and said "here you go boys,you figure it out"

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post
                        Can I nominate you quad?

http://www.saskwheatcommission.com/about-sask-wheat/elections/
                        What a cluster chuck the Sask Wheat Commision is. Tens of million in the bank of our money not being puttin work by them because of ideology! No voice at the international level because they refuse to join Cereals Canada once again due to archaic ideology. Election is coming up this fall. Take five minutes and please vote these joker out once and for all.

Comment

Agree sascan - it's time to remove the ticks

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...