• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Australias First crop estiamtes bit of a cut

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Australias First crop estiamtes bit of a cut

Following a bumper crop last year in South Australia, it comes as no surprise to growers that the first harvest estimation has dropped significantly due to the dry start to winter.
    The latest Crop and Pasture Report from Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) estimates the harvest at 6.4 million tonnes, down from last year's final total of 11.1 million.
    Many farmers had a record dry start to the season with the report showing the first four months to the end of June saw the lowest five per cent rainfall on record for the Eyre Peninsula and central Yorke Peninsula.
    PIRSA grains account manager Dave Lewis said this was just the first estimate and conditions could improve with more rainfall.
    "We anticipate it may be revised upwards if we do see some more rain in the coming weeks and the crop area is increased following the last bit of seeding," he said.
    Many areas are patchy across the state with some farmers choosing not to sow at all around the Eyre and Yorke Peninsulas and the lower north.
    Mr Lewis said there had been some good crop emergences in the upper, mid and lower north and Mallee districts.
    He said while an estimate of 6.4 million tonne was a lot lower than previous years, it was far more than would have been expected 20 years ago.
    "It does reaffirm that South Australian farmers are putting in the effort in the cropping and pasture management," he said.

"a bit of a cut"..... Here more like a brush-cut. Peas a bit poorer than first estimates. I can't imagine what the flax will be like.

Anyone want to rent some bins?

What a difference a year can make. Last year I was scrambling to find storage for the crop(I didn't want to give it away during Harvest Happy Hour). We had grain in 4 other people's yards(guys who rent their land out), this year some of our bins may be rattling in the wind.

Harvest safe...

Comment

Yep the crop shes a bit t'in. No magic beans this year whether they be lentils or peas. Lentils are in the 15avg territory, no one will have 25+ some will have sub 10, some wont make it on the cutter bar. Too thin and too short typically planted on canola stubble that blew this spring. Peas a bit better from what I've heard in the rumour mill 25-30 avg. Canary in the slough bottoms wow thick the rest is very thin. Every single head loaded with aphids. Do you bother spraying a sub 10 bushel crop this late in the game? Early canola is turning, late canola well she fk'd. Forget the grain cart, maybe the trucks too she'll all fit on the combine. I bet we will see some double swathed canola this year first time. Spring wheat is 15 inches tall and has nearly all turned. I'm hoping for 30. It's next year that scares me now.
      Last edited by biglentil; Aug 5, 2017, 20:12.

Comment

still a 45 % cut

anyways look out Canada touch down 10,30 am next week the 8th this week actually.

got fair few thousand kms to do find out for myself eh

Comment

Travel safe Mate. Lots of country to see.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...