• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spray jugs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I burn everything.....boxes jugs etc....the jugs burn hotter do it reduces to nothing....same with twine....

Recycling costs of moving to the common point is environmentally unfriendly as well.

My fire never lasts as long as a forest fire smoke. And no one has complained...yet. I don't see the issue with burning dumps....it takes up less space.

Comment

I burn the cardboard and the attached user guides, and return the jugs to a local landfill designated recycle site

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
        I am shocked that a Saskatchewan farmer hasn't come up with a chemical box and jug fired boiler to heat their shop and house. Maybe dry some grain too.
        I had to chuckle at that!

I recycle the jugs at collection site and most cardboard gets recycled too. Haven't been told not too but did wonder. I've started burning but give up cause unless you got a big fire pit that takes a long time in a barrel.

Last year they were shredding at the collection site when I was there. Had about 10 college kids with no gloves or masks on feeding the shredder. I asked the boss about the plastic, he said they send it to Quebec to make milk jugs! I've heard solid cast plastic things like benches and fence posts.

Comment

We are using barrels as much as possible. No rinse, just empty and return to retailer.
          Any jugs we use go to local recycle depot at the dump and boxes get torched. Although occasionally jugs get torched with the boxes if I don't have enough to warrant a trip to the dump.

Comment

Totes are great, barrels should be refillable but never had one that is. Jugs and cardboard should be burnt hot imho. Any one ever get all the brown tar rinsed out of a jug of simplicity? I haven't and dont want that recycled into my next milk jug ever.

Comment

Barrels dont get refilled as far as I know. Yet im sure they get returned dirty and shredded dirty all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                Barrels dont get refilled as far as I know. Yet im sure they get returned dirty and shredded dirty all the time.
                Most barrels, and totes get refilled 5 times then have to be destroyed. Guy from Bayer said it is much cheaper to use jugs then barrels from their end.

Comment

I assume barrels are refilled(without cleaning{?}) that have a deposit charged against them until they're returned and have braided wire seals on the two large ports on top. The small port that is within one of the large ports where you suck the chem out of the barrel from is likely a one-way valve and nothing can be pumped into the barrel from that spot. But if the braided wires are broken I doubt they would fill it without thoroughly cleaning it out. Otherwise there is probably little chance of contamination. Retailers are beginning to watch the condition of those seals as are the shipping companies that take them back to the wholesaler or chem manufacturer. No one wants to be responsible for the damaged seals. I don't know what would happen if you took a barrel back that was tampered with. Maybe it would just be processed in a different way---or maybe "you just bought it".

I have gotten some barrels with glyphosate and diquat in them that were not required to be returned. Generally generic products in them.

Comment

Liberty and roundup barrels refillable? I always use totes for those. Never have I paid a deposit on a barrel Octane, generic Reglone....

Comment

Liberty and roundup barrels refillable? I always use totes for those. Never have I paid a deposit on a barrel Octane, generic Reglone....
                      ....we're Invigor people...a barrel per 80 acres, finish odd acres with jugs...no leftovers.....simple for us.
                      I doubt Bayer or Monsanto would use the quality of barrel they are if they weren't re-usable...remember I'm assuming.

Comment

Our retailer keeps track of returnable totes and barrels going out on load out slips and coming back as a "return" on load out slips. Then invoices reflect those slips. In most cases the totes and barrels are returned before monthly statements are paid. Of course its always a wash, even if it takes two statement months.

.....here anyway.

Are Dow's Octane barrels comparable to Bayer's and Monsanto's? Do you keep the Octane barrels?
                        Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 2, 2017, 22:37.

Comment

I do like barrels for eyeballing quantity. Never can trust the raven flow meter always needs recalibrating based on viscosity it seems. Pumping it into the chem handler works well but takes too much time. Some plastic barrels are tippy though.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            Our retailer keeps track of returnable totes and barrels going out on load out slips and coming back as a "return" on load out slips. Then invoices reflect those slips. In most cases the totes and barrels are returned before monthly statements are paid. Of course its always a wash, even if it takes two statement months.

.....here anyway.

Are Dow's Octane barrels comparable to Bayer's and Monsanto's? Do you keep the Octane barrels?
                            I think all barrels are pretty standard a vent, and a screw off cap where a one inch male cam fitting screws into the suction tube. I rinse'em and do not keep'em.

Comment

I have a friend involved with the the recylcling of the jugs in Saskatchewan and they are all incinerated now. They used to be recycled but about 5 years ago that got changed. There is just too many labels and residue left in the jugs to be made into something else. Reminds me of the story of the school kids recycling the juice boxes just to find them dumped in the landfill.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                                I have a friend involved with the the recylcling of the jugs in Saskatchewan and they are all incinerated now. They used to be recycled but about 5 years ago that got changed. There is just too many labels and residue left in the jugs to be made into something else. Reminds me of the story of the school kids recycling the juice boxes just to find them dumped in the landfill.
                                Actually they've always been mostly burned. CropLife used to present fancy reports at meetings that were supposed to show that the returned jugs were being turned into curb stops or some other equally useless purpose. But if you read the report closely there was always a large portion of the jugs that were used for "heat generation". Figure it out for yourself.

The whole jug return program was a cluster####. The logical way to do it was with a limited number of controlled sites in conjunction with manned landfills. By the early 90's that system was largely in place but doing it that way meant that the manufacturers had to write a cheque to the provinces to fund the system. By dumping the job back on the retail chain the mfrs dodged any financial or liability responsibility for the returned jugs.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...