• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

most should be able to handle the first one.The second one gets interesting.3rd is ugly.been there done that.

Comment

For us in the entire history of the farm this and 1962 is it.

Comment

Yah dad says it was 61,62 or maybe it was 62,63 when it didn't rain all summer.

Comment

Yea dad told me but I get the exact years mixed up, the 80s were never a crop failure and before that like I said it was 1887 or 130 years ago. Maybe it's climate change I don't know but the blocking pattern is crazy. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	765886

stem aphid

Comment

Well time for some pics.
            Proof what a full soil profile at seeding can do. About 2 inches of rain since May 1.
            Not enough of these. By a long shot.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000465.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	765881
            Canola 30 decent pods per plant doesn't matter when seeded. Ouch

Name:	WP_000461 (2).jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	765882
            Barley 45?

Name:	WP_000459 (2).jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	765883
            Wheat. Will it fill or die? Could be anywhere from 25 -40 depending. With the forecast 30 might cap it.

Name:	WP_000455.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	765884

Name:	WP_000458 (2).jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	765885

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
              Yea dad told me but I get the exact years mixed up, the 80s were never a crop failure and before that like I said it was 1887 or 130 years ago. Maybe it's climate change I don't know but the blocking pattern is crazy. [ATTACH]1932[/ATTACH]

stem aphid
              We had those too SF3, aren't they "wheat stem maggots"?
              Kinda the same as sawflys...worm boring in stem but I think it over winters in the stem and the sawflys bore out just above the ground and over winter in soil (????)

A bit of insect concern will be sawfly if it stays dry afew consecutive growing seasons..... "Laura" which I believe is the only HRS solid stem variety was "deregistered"....thanks! Laura wasn't the best variety but it was better than the poor quality and quantity sample from stem feeding and and the crop falling over before it was mature. Oh ya, and no "registered" insecticides for sawfly.

Comment

Your correct.

Comment

We have the saw fly/stem maggots in our wheat to.

Comment

South of Regina... Close to roleau

Went from here down #20 and then back up on #2.

South of lanigan crops are an immediate shit show.

And so many acres of really poor canola
                    Barley and peas close to harvest lentils turning.

This is pretty common for canola all the way down and up.

Name:	IMG_20170727_162145.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	765887

Name:	IMG_20170727_162044.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	765888

Comment

Originally posted by crusher View Post
                      How is it that your wheat will yield half of last year but info from the wheat tour suggests that in the worst hit areas of the Dakotas they will be down 25%. Do they grow superior genetics?
                      We travelled the Dakotas - no F-in way down 25%. Probably 65%. What a joke!

Comment

farmaholic, saskfarmer3 you are both wrong, Laura was not a solid stem sawfly variety. I know as I grew it 3 years. Beautiful stand of bearded HRS wheat, tremendous yield the first two years. Probably the best feeding straight cut wheat, we've ever had.(straight cutting since 1982)
                        Year 3, disease till hell wouldn't have it. Moved on the Prodigy then, also a good yielder, always high protein and good bushel weights.

You guys might be thinking of AC Eatonia, it was solid stem. Perhaps there was another variety released later, I can't say. I always thought that the solid stem varieties were grown in the west side or sw of SK. I'm on the east.

Comment

Lillian

Comment

Mom was commenting on how good our canola looks as it is in the thick of flowering right now. I had to point out to her that normally on Canada day it looks like that. Wheat and barley are just starting to head here so I hope it's a long fall. It's either going to be average or a nightmare if snow comes on October 7 like last year. Way sooner deal with wet(although it doesn't seem like it at the time) than dry. Out tedding some first cut today.

Late on getting it put up due to humidity and showers every couple days.

Comment

Oh crap. Sorry for the mistake with the variety.....was I at least right on the deregistration? I'll check.

Thanks for setting that straight.

"Deregistered" may not be a suitable term. I think the CGC is just creating and moving a bunch of varieties to a newly created class starting 2018 crop year. Likely be a lower value class, lower gluten strength. Lillian and Etonia are on that list. Didn't see Laura on the list I saw.
                              Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 28, 2017, 00:15.

Comment

Yes, Lillian moving to CNHR in 2018. Grew that one for a while.
                                Laura still listed as registered HRSW. Never had Laura. Neighbours did for years.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...