• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm property insurance

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm property insurance

Anyone out there have any info they can provide on farm insurance? Our general farm property insurance policy is over $15,000 per year.

To me that's crazy for our operation with all used equipment and farming around 3500 acres. I even removed all bins from the policy a few years back.

Am I out to lunch? maybe just looking to pinch a few pennies with our crappy crops coming in?

What do other guys pay?

about same acres , not much new stuff , bins all on , although all have anchors (hoppers). 2 pole sheds , 2 heated shops , 1 house . have downtime rental included on both combines ( they are the most expensive) Whole policy is just under $10k , use credit card ($200) towards holiday each winter in points . this is SGI and they have been excellent to work with .

Comment

Ours is about 12K a year with virtually everything on in including bins one shop one large shed. A mix of some newer and old equip. SGI Canada. 3000 acres.
      We have only had one claim ever when some tools and other stuff were stolen. Worked out ok.
      Bins are too expensive to have them not covered. One big wind when most are empty and could look like the Strongfield curling rink.
      Other than a high deductible ($1000) not sure what else to be done to lower cost.

Comment

also with sgi there is about a 15%? discount if a house is included . I think our deductible is $750 or $1000 not sure

Comment

5000 acres $4200/yr. I maxed the deductible. Took off the flood insurance they added automatically this year. Also dropped the coverage for a ****ing chandelier falling and scratching the floor or dining room table. There's a metric shit ton of crap you can ditch. All the iron except swather is 08 or newer. 20k of downtime on combine is where they maxed me due to a claim in '14
          Last edited by macdon02; Jul 25, 2017, 06:57.

Comment

Ours is about 26000 thats all homes included plus lake. We have all building included plus seed plant dryer etc. Chem shed contents is also included up to a max. Thats all equipment that moves plus the two drills. One year when we got the one drill stuck to the frame and needed a track hoe. yea it was worth it. Last claim was on a 10 hr old Combine at 75000 yea it hurt for five years but now back to normal. Our deductible is higher but if its under 5000 damage fix it yourself.

Comment

Difficult to compare without value amount covered. Need to compare $/1000 per class.

Anyways, sounds like that too is cheaper in AB.

Comment

Don't forget to add pst????

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                  Don't forget to add pst????
                  ....only in Sasktaxandspin! Pity!

Comment

With it so hot and dry, a fire could do a lot of damage this year. We never regretted having good insurance, especially when a plow wind comes out of nowhere and no building is spared.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...