• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat maturiy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat maturiy

Advice on kernel maturiy for swathing or pre harvest spray is kernel can easily be dented with thumbnail but not able to squeeze moisture out.
    Kernel and straw colour is less important.
    Have had fairly good results using this test but wonder about shrinkage and whether kernel shrinkage is much worse in hot days than cooler ones.

Hoppy.... I think we will be looking at a heat/drought shrunk sample here in the dry areas. Plumpness in malt barley will be an issue in many areas this year. I think bushel weights will be down this year...no 65-66 pound wheat here this year!

Comment

I think the second part to the thumbnail test is that the impression should stay. If it comes back out is too early. Also look at the peduncle at the base of the head. It should look ripe. And absolutely hot and low humidity will cause quicker dry down and should be more careful with timing.

Comment

Leave'er stand and straight cut at desired moisture.

Comment

Same here, wheat test weights will be down, buyers getting the tweezers ready.

Comment

How far south are you MBGROWER?
            Crops from Brandon to winnipeg look very good.

Comment

Wheat in flower here, needs a month of NOT wet cool weather.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                Same here, wheat test weights will be down, buyers getting the tweezers ready.
                They might need my heavy fusarium and DON laden durum to mix out the light stuff this year!

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                  some wheat crops around here not even fully headed yet

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                    I'm between highway 1 and the border. Big area missing all the rains here. The wheat here still looks very good could be 50 - 60 bpa yet, but soil reserve moisture running out. One good rain in July and we could have hit a home run this year.

Comment

Wheat near the US border is 70+. Not a home run, but a grand slam.

Comment

like this...Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheat July 23.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	765868

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...