• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durum export prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain companies are adding more to their bottom line from Currency Exchange than elevation fees.
    At the close last night December MGE Wheat was $7.83 1/4, even with our improved dollar the value( $0.79.00us ) in CAD's would equal $9.79 CAD/bus.
    Easy to hide the exchange rate when it's hidden in the basis. I don't see elevation charges listed on my tickets anymore, everything is in the basis.

Comment

Good to track basis and prices expressed in CAD
      July 12/17
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Minneapolis futures compared to SK avg 1 13.5 CWRS jul 12 17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	765861

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
        Agree Farmaholic. I blame the government. The CGC should have the situation under CONTROL. When grading is a joke, what can one do?
        Ok honest question, what will it take to have grading be ok with you? Grade the entire truck kernel by kernel? Vomi isn't a grading factor but graincos do take it into account. Should it be an official one? You can't have a load refused right now because of vomi but most graincos arn't doing vomi tests on each load just samples.

Comment

Another very good point Kinger, re Vomitoxin. I brought it up this winter on this website. I was in touch with the CGC and they said they're "working on it". It is not in the grain grading guide. Stay tuned.

I can imagine the whole scenario is as frustrating for the Buyers as it is for the Producers. I said to some of the grain buyers around here that end-users need to adjust their expectations. Other than years like this of drought-like conditions they can expect fusarium to be an ongoing issue. Get used to it. Environmental conditions(vary from year to year but this much dryness isn't quite normal either), the pathogen(which is present in the traditional growing area now) and the host, durum. If all three are present--BAM! The "cost" can't always come out of the Producer's hide when it would be as simple as adjusting the tolerances. I've argued a hundred times, no one's diet consists of solely cereal grains, so I "assume" fusarium and vomitoxin levels could likely be raised, and maybe alot more than we think?

In keeping with the theme of the thread:

In the meantime we need a way to monitor what the export prices are so we get fair value at the farmgate.

Thanks for your time fellows, Take care.

Comment

Remember with the CWB, you would have taken 2 bucks home now and then received 11 cents in 18 months? Maybe not quite that bad but talk about basis!

Comment

Originally posted by Kinger View Post
              Ok honest question, what will it take to have grading be ok with you? Grade the entire truck kernel by kernel? Vomi isn't a grading factor but graincos do take it into account. Should it be an official one? You can't have a load refused right now because of vomi but most graincos arn't doing vomi tests on each load just samples.
              Oh , All i want is to take the same sample in the same f$&king bag to 3 different elevators and not get 2% diff in fuz depending on what they need that day or 3 ppm vomi difference on barley in the same bag on the same f$&king sample . Real simple actually thats all i want . As was mentioned also i will have a full 5 gal pail on a 5k bu bin which i mix thoroughly and then store sealed then some asshole at a pig barn reaches over back of trailer and gets a sample supposedly better than mine . Or a probe shoved twice into a full trailer for a pint of grain and why in **** dont graders have to be certified and checked on occasionally ??? ???? Like they do the scales. ? And if you think you can get any help out of grain commision , dream on . As i said before ergot was deadly before the fuz game came along . Cleaned a lot of ergot out of wheat for sfa at a big expense to us . Now that fuz is here ergot is safe . No i dont try to **** them at all and im tired of the games

Comment

$10 for 2 or better Durum 75 hvk min and 12.5 protein Sept to Oct delivery. It's out there now so grain Cos must know price is going to rise. They're getting some volume in place but there not sticking their necks out to get it Chopped off
                Last edited by mustardman; Jul 19, 2017, 12:41.

Comment

Best I've seen is a bit over $9...but no grade specs in the text...would have to call in.

Comment

Interesting that the graph shows basis as minus 70 cents but in Canada it's reported as a positive basis....hmmmmmm

Comment

That is actually $-73.50 CAD basis SK average-MWU
                      Minot area elevators are around $-39.50 CAD/tonne

Portland bids for #1 13 were about 10.35 CAD or better today. #1 15 11.40 CAD or better. Local bids for #1 13 were 7.83 early today dropping to 7.58 at the close. Basis got even worse.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...