• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	C75A5E7C-12B4-402A-881F-5D45D4E20829.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	777620

Well well well the farm progress show is over the usual huge rain event never happened and one thing is still constant its the Fricking wind.

I just can't believe how windy it gets most days. Lots of horror stories of spray drift.

Yesterday the first batch of spraying was complete. Every acre has had a herbicide and now we decide if we do a second pass liberty or just go fishing.

Rain events are funny this year they say 60% chance of rain and you get your windows dirty in the city. Storms brew up head towards the city and fizzle out as fast as they brew up. Last night was a prime example and then animate the Storm and it moves north then south then maybe east and finally gone.

Drew is so off his game and environment Canada and weather network just same nice for the long weekend then oh sorry it rained out your event. One thing is constant its the wind they can predict that one to a T.

Name:	IMG_9788.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	777621

Ok so here is this weeks take on the crops out their.

HRS is going deep for moisture which is a good thing we have excess soil moisture but funny when spraying late june almost all fields are just about back to normal. We seem to be on course with last few years for the crop. Funny fields worked last fall are so so nice on cereals but fields of canola on worked ground suck. I would still call most wheat a 8 but if the 30s come and the winds continue the plants can't go deep enough in those conditions. Second rain of season is now needed.

Barley is still a 9 but again if the heat comes at heading next week all bets are off.

Soy is funny this year, funny colour, funny how thin crops are and not sure how they will fair. Right now a 8 but time will tell.

Peas are all sprayed and had their shock treatment with Viper. Double up spots gone. like the wind. Flowering has started on earliest seeded fields on drive out from city our will start probably around monday. Week behind last year as i was spraying fungicide now a year ago. 9 so far as no fields are dead like last year.

Flax, most in area did the make them sick day and yea they were sick but coming not bad. Looked better a week ago. 8.

Oats is coming on not bad after a slow start spraying is done. 9

Lentils very few to mention so no comment.

Canola the big ticket crop is a mom and her three babies to describe the stages in the field. Two apps of proline to get right timing. Or just say F$%K it and park the sprayer and call it a day. If the 30s happen and the wind option B is going to take place. You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig. We might have lots of acres but I'm still convinced what guys though in march never got seeded. Canola is a 7 so far.

So here is a basic summary of the area i travel. Every one is trying to finish the last spraying. Liberty likes heat but neighbours don't like your drift from the wind. Wind is constant and only thing the weather Geniuses can get right. Most have fungicides booked and reps are phoning telling us we need to protect the crop but most have left the product in the sheds so far some even have canceled already.

Constant rain like the last few years destroys land and takes acres. I always say 4 one inch rains is all you need. Were approaching the time for the second rain event. Nothing is on the horizon for rain and the heat is coming next week. Wind with it and Wow things will go down hill fast.

So 2017 is like every other year different some way. This year its a total opposite of the last few. Yes i bitched about the excess rain and useless amounts and would again any time. Rain does make grain in moderation.

So this week we turn the calendar and i believe is make or break for the 2017 crop. If the heat come and the wind all bets are off. I don't have a crystal ball so we will have to wait and see.

Name:	9E5E48D9-982F-4552-B25B-5EBFD0B9AAFD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	777622

Enjoy the July 1st weekend, I hope every one gets the rain they want. The winds slow down to nice speed.

So remember the ones at home are way more important than any crop.

Happy Canada day,

Oh one other thing stats Canada out today with their report on what were going to seed. It arrives after we already seeded our crop and sprayed it. Ah Government always two steps back.

Comment

Looking good here , 2 weeks late thats all. Rained again last night . Hardest hit areas north of carrot river , tobin lake and east and west of nipawin got upwards of 2" night before last , and more last night . Lots of those areas have zero crop seeded and cricks running hard . Looks like a wasteland out there . Sure feel sorry for those folks .they are good farmers and some will not make it . Hopefully crop ins pays their "too wet to seed " indemnity and doesnt jack them around because land hasnt been touched in a year , some 2 years . Not their fault .
      We are spraying without ruts so thats nice again ! What a treat . But still a two inch rain from a wreck . Fingers crossed

Comment

Send your rain down south Case. We could use a drink. Crops are average but time will tell.

Canola - all over the map is all I can say
        Wheat - looks ok but when you can see down the rows its kinda thin
        Barley - average at best, tillered out more than wheat
        Oats- looks ok
        Flax- coming nicely
        Soy - too early to tell how it will turn out

The early dryness really hurt our crops. Average to below average depending on weather from here on out.

Comment

All my drivel I posted over the last week is basically my crop report.

Changing sprayer tires this morning to skinnies....just in case I have a momentary lapse of reason(temporary insanity---arguably permanent) and use some fungicides. But I would need them on to dessicate peas later anyway, unless they'd hail out and turn them into a plow down crop

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
          Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 29, 2017, 06:54.

Comment

Farma

"just in case I have a momentary lapse of reason and use some fungicides."

Your really taking a gamble with the way Minny wheat prices are moving. There shouldn't be an once of doubt on making that decision!

Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish!

Comment

forage all the problems with Fuz was caused by massive amounts of rain. Dew is missing this year the canopy is thinner and winds dry it out. Fungicides will be a no difference this year.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                Farma

"just in case I have a momentary lapse of reason and use some fungicides."

Your really taking a gamble with the way Minny wheat prices are moving. There shouldn't be an once of doubt on making that decision!

Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish!
                I agree farma , don't take chances with wheat , especially at these prices . the rest of the crops , yes , f$&k it , but definetely not wheat . I have saw it around here where they they find a lot more fus if they know you didn't spray .

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  All my drivel I posted over the last week is basically my crop report.

Changing sprayer tires this morning to skinnies....just in case I have a momentary lapse of reason(temporary insanity---arguably permanent) and use some fungicides. But I would need them on to dessicate peas later anyway, unless they'd hail out and turn them into a plow down crop

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
                  what size is your rogator ? we are just running an rg700 , but sure underpowered with all the soft worked ground . big tires would probably help a lot , but they want $15-18 k , unreal , and they won't let us put duals on because of the electronic traction control. ?

Comment

I hear you loud and clear foragefarmer. No dew here this morning, missed yesterday's showers, ground surface dry and below the surface a wee bit. Windy, thin canopy...

An app should be an investment in the crop but like SF3 said it may only be an expense without any real payback.

Is spraying for disease that isn't a real threat a "best management practice"? I don't think we should wear down the already "poor" efficacy of fusarium suppression of the available fungicides.(bit of sarcasm)

Timing of an app is real close on the first seeded wht fields.
                    Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 29, 2017, 07:13.

Comment

No long term experience battling fusarium here.
                      But there is lots of innoculum around now after the last few years. I wonder how many days with dew/humidity would it take to infect the crop. If moisture hits at the wrong time there may be trouble.
                      Early wheat just starting to head in the area. The majority of the crop is just coming into flag leaf.

Comment

Caseih.....RG1100. And only time we use it's full tank capacity is for fungicide apps to carry the extra water. Otherwise in crop herbicides are applied with 10 gpa its just easier with field sizes(80 acre increments) and chemical packaging sizes to do 80 acres per tank.

Sit tight and look for a set at auction, they're usually sold separate from the sprayer(depending which are on) and you might save some money

Comment

Forage is giving sound advice on fungicide re fusarium. Massive amounts of rain are not needed. Warm temps and humidity will ramp up fusarium risk.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            I hear you loud and clear foragefarmer. No dew here this morning, missed yesterday's showers, ground surface dry and below the surface a wee bit. Windy, thin canopy...

An app should be an investment in the crop but like SF3 said it may only be an expense without any real payback.

Is spraying for disease that isn't a real threat a "best management practice"? I don't think we should wear down the already "poor" efficacy of fusarium suppression of the available fungicides.(bit of sarcasm)

Timing of an app is real close on the first seeded wht fields.

In 2015 I didn't spray the durum for fuz. The first seeded stuff went #1. The fields seeded 5 days later where #4. The first seeded durum flowered without rain of dew. The later seeded durum had one night of dew and half a tenth of rain. We had no other rain till July that year. It taught me to always spray wheat for fuz. After last year I think the spore load will be even higher now.

Comment

Originally posted by Casered View Post
                              In 2015 I didn't spray the durum for fuz. The first seeded stuff went #1. The fields seeded 5 days later where #4. The first seeded durum flowered without rain of dew. The later seeded durum had one night of dew and half a tenth of rain. We had no other rain till July that year. It taught me to always spray wheat for fuz. After last year I think the spore load will be even higher now.
                              Might of went #4 had you sprayed it as well. Without leaving tests strips how does a guy ever know. I've yet to be impressed. And no I didnt miss the two day window and also used 15gpa with high pressure twins. Grow a healthy crop it wont get sick simple.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...