• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A tale of two Canadas: Where you grew up affects your income in adulthood

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geez, I used to like Horses

Comment

Horses = baloney

Comment

Sofa King

There is way too much emphasis put on university education all the arts and science classes and
        psychology do nothing in the real world.

Not going to comment on two of the degrees you mentioned, but just wondering how you can knock science when you are a farmer.

You don't apply herbicides, or plant new seed varieties, on your farm?

Comment

A lot of good posts.
          To the original. The best thing to happen to Newfoundland was Ft. McMurray. End of story.
          Taxing the shit out of us to pour money down an education rabbit hole where there are no jobs to start with (either by region or by study field) is fine inclusive thinking but i believe flawed.

I follow Mike Rowe. He has interesting things to say regarding trades etc. His best, to me, is his speech on 'the dignity of work'.
          Big topic.

Comment

Read "The Outliers".....data shows that success and wealth can have to do with when and where you are born.....I can see it from myself and many class mates....many have done extremely well because we were smart enough to be born when we were, where we were. Yeah, some worked hard, but I also know a lot of people who worked hard and it didn't turn out the same for them.
            Much of the world does lack opportunity, and we were blessed with much of that...and yes, you had to take risks, but the opportunity has been here for many of us.
            When I think of people...yes people, no matter what religion....risking their lives and their children's on a boat that they have no idea whether it will make it or not...and are willing to take the chance because of turmoil they are leaving behind, I am truly thankful for where I am. I really don't deserve this bounty, but like most entitled adults of our time, I'll take it.

Comment

An acquaintance of mine was once heard saying, "the harder I work the luckier I am". May not always be true for everyone but there is an element of truth to it. He was also a risk taker!!!! Also surrounding yourself with people that "open doors" for each other helps immensely.

Comment

Farmaholic was raised in the slum of the ghetto, how did he turn out? Guess we'll see if he can afford the user fees for medicare😂

Comment

The biggest part of this whole thing is it all starts at home and how you are raised. Money and wealth and where is an excuse to where you end up.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                    Farmaholic was raised in the slum of the ghetto, how did he turn out? Guess we'll see if he can afford the user fees for medicare😂

I'll have to quit smoking, drinking and womanizing to be able to afford the proposed Medicare user fees. Then again why quit, may as well die happy! Good thing they haven't started taxing or charging for swearing or I would be broke by now.

Growing up in the Slum of the Ghetto built character.... what a character! You needed thick skin and a sense of humor.... if you weren't born and raised in the Slum of the Ghetto, you wouldn't live here! I don't know any better, so I stay...
                    Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 26, 2017, 21:22.

Comment

Well forage I can read so it isn't too hard to apply pesticide as for science the climate change science is all bullshit and you should know that but I guess you aren't no rocket scientist.

Comment

Sofaking

I was talking about the science behind developing new herbicides and seed varieties, I didn't mention anything about climate change, but that rocket flew right over your head!

In your case it's trajectory didn't have to be to high to accomplish that!

Comment

Ya ya maybe science wasn't a good example but you have to admit a lot of useless degrees are being sold to our youth with the promise of a career. Look at the secondary education system in the states it's a multi billion dollar scam for a lot of students who have nothing but a diploma and a huge student loan canada is much the same. A diploma from a trade school is worth much more in real life than an education taught by some prof who really has had no real world experience. Best education is the school of hard knocks where you appreciate what you have and are proud of it.

Comment

Forage on the chemical side of science have there been any new chemicals in the last 30 years other than companies just repackaging and naming the same old group of chemical and charging you more. Look at the new chemical they just invented for soybeans roundup and dicamba same thing we used in the 1980s but it was called rustler back then and worked good for chem fallow.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...