• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A tale of two Canadas: Where you grew up affects your income in adulthood

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tale of two Canadas: Where you grew up affects your income in adulthood

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/a-tale-of-two-canadas-where-you-grow-up-affects-your-adult-income/article35444594/?reqid=83bcdcd7-eae7-439a-ba99-42a5ab340797

Interesting research that confirms that access to quality education and opportunities are key to higher incomes.

I was reading some comments on an article about the political battles going on in BC and read an awesome quote "the government makes a better servant than lord". Some of our politicians in Canada have forgotten that they work for us not the other way around. A little off your topic I know Chuck2 but I thought it said a lot in a few words. It encapsulates why I despise left of center thinking.

Comment

Every politician I have ever talked to along with their staff give the impression that they are somehow above me.

I mention it regularly that I don't work for them so change the attitude. ...they never return calls or have an ounce of understanding.

Worst so far was Andrew scheer's office. Asked a few questions about what was going on with the Raymore elevator....a few weeks later I called again to see if they were doing anything. ....they thought I was going do provide info. ...I said read the western producer and talk to your constituents....stupid and now he is the leader of the conservative party....ffs.

Comment

Well Bucket, what is happening with the Raymore elevator? Moving it to Sedley?

Comment

No idea....I just thought it was stupid that it would be closed and no one got a chance to operate it.

I am further away than hauling to medicine hat....

Comment

That study only tells part of the tale
            I know a lot of very successful people that came from low income family situations. But they were raised well , taught respect and told and grew up with hard work ethics. That has far more to do with a persons successful future

Comment

Ya. I Haven't met anyone that will admit to being from Raymore. They all say they're from Quinton.😎

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                That study only tells part of the tale
                I know a lot of very successful people that came from low income family situations. But they were raised well , taught respect and told and grew up with hard work ethics. That has far more to do with a persons successful future
                ExActly right furrow. Lefties like chuck chuck need all the excuses and "reasons" why they don't have wealth. Never mind that they literally want to work 35 hours a week with 3-4 or more weeks holidays and retire at 55-60 with s full pension. Live off your pension as long as you actually worked. Let's study it to death ( using taxpayers dollars) why then that person doesn't have wealth. It's always luck or daddy's money why someone is successful and someone else's fault when your not. No one wants to get their hands dirty working 60 hours a week any more

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
                  ExActly right furrow. Lefties like chuck chuck need all the excuses and "reasons" why they don't have wealth. Never mind that they literally want to work 35 hours a week with 3-4 or more weeks holidays and retire at 55-60 with s full pension. Live off your pension as long as you actually worked. Let's study it to death ( using taxpayers dollars) why then that person doesn't have wealth. It's always luck or daddy's money why someone is successful and someone else's fault when your not. No one wants to get their hands dirty working 60 hours a week any more
                  Perfect example is anyone can make $100k minimum and much more by becoming a certified plumber. Like shooting fish in the barrel. But that's not glamorous and would mean working longer hours.

Comment

Yeah... Hahahaha... A lot of Canadian born people my age (late 20s) have this stupid sense of entitlement and laziness.

The reason you don't have wealth is you don't work hard enough for it. A university education does not entitle you to wealth.

Brings me back to when I was in the dating scene... Most girls had uni degrees or were getting one... But had no plan to go work after just thought things would appear out of thin air. Very lucky to have found the gal I did most of our friends who don't farm have this left or whatever you want to call it entitlement. This is why immigrants are more successful generally... They actually want to get somewhere.

And why rural / farm kids generally end up doing well
                    .. they still have a work ethic.

Don't kid yourself... Lots of why more affluent areas have kids that do better is because they inherit better. See that on my wife's side of the family. Useless tits (distant relations in a large urban center) but their parents inherited well and now they did also... Don't work never had a steady job but have a million dollar house two 100,000 cars and turn up their nose at those of us that work.

Comment

In the era of financial repression it no longer is about hard work, saving and investing. It is about crony capitalism. In Canada, almost every rich person has a connection to a government policy. Public sector workers it is obvious. Many farmers have benefited greatly by the governments zero interest rate policy as it inflated assets. Having zero interest rates with huge debt levels never happen in a free market. Supply management farmers get it twice. Once from the quota ponzi and then from zero rates inflating the bubble some more.

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
                        Perfect example is anyone can make $100k minimum and much more by becoming a certified plumber. Like shooting fish in the barrel. But that's not glamorous and would mean working longer hours.
                        There are opportunities for those who work hard and have been lucky enough to be born in a region where there are good jobs and access to education and training to better themselves. But you missed the point of the research that there are regions on the country where good jobs don't exist and therefore incomes are low, and often the schools are not great which doesn't allow for the next generation to go off and get the training and experience to become a plumber or any other tradesperson. There are a lot of families who can't save enough to send their kids to post secondary education especially if it is not close to their home. Therefore they are often stuck in low income occupations or unemployed . Just think of all the single parents mostly women who struggle to pay the rent and feed the kids. Affordable Post secondary opportunities don't often exist for these families. Of course there are exceptions but you have to look at the big picture and see what is holding back some of the regions. It is not about left or right politics it is about access to education, resources and opportunities to succeed.

Comment

There is way too much emphasis put on university education all the arts and science classes and psychology do nothing in the real world. The university system has become a money machine instead of a place for higher learning. I think it's time to start teaching trades in high school that is what is important to society.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                            There are opportunities for those who work hard and have been lucky enough to be born in a region where there are good jobs and access to education and training to better themselves. But you missed the point of the research that there are regions on the country where good jobs don't exist and therefore incomes are low, and often the schools are not great which doesn't allow for the next generation to go off and get the training and experience to become a plumber or any other tradesperson. There are a lot of families who can't save enough to send their kids to post secondary education especially if it is not close to their home. Therefore they are often stuck in low income occupations or unemployed . Just think of all the single parents mostly women who struggle to pay the rent and feed the kids. Affordable Post secondary opportunities don't often exist for these families. Of course there are exceptions but you have to look at the big picture and see what is holding back some of the regions. It is not about left or right politics it is about access to education, resources and opportunities to succeed.
                            Im from the parklands of Manitoba and was making darn near 6 figures at age 17.

You go where opportunity is. If you have the drive to.

Personal ambition is not something the state can teach. Free education doesn't help if there is no drive to succeed or to work hard.

Interesting... Dauphin Manitoba... Home of the first massively failed mincom program is one of the poorest regions in Canada... 30 years after the failed experiment.

Comment

There has to be a will to want to work not just being entitled to everything too many young people don't want to start at the bottom and work their way up. In the real world there will be rich and poor and if you don't want to be poor you will bust your ass to get ahead. Today's liberals want everyone to be equal like in school every gets a ribbon for participating so why try hard to get first place it doesn't matter.I guess it is the union mentality.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...