• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm Progress Show...June 21-23

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Progress Show...June 21-23

It will be blowing a hurricane here tomorrow, might just make it to the show. Unless....

Sure was a nice spray day today. Wind starting to pick up here now.

I am very disappointed, i won two tickets to this from farms.com and they only sent me one, next year kiss my ass.

Comment

You may want to reconsider that comment. Unless you were unlucky and they only put one in your envelope, but I thought I only got one too..... they were stuck together! Please check makar.

Comment

Might be handy for you, but to drive 5 hours and walk for 8 never appeals fro me. Still need to spray at a moments notice, I f we take a day off, usually regret it. Best time we had was camping west of city 2 nights and took our time seeing the whole show.

Comment

Makar, that's one more than I got so be happy.

Comment

same here, I thought there was only one too. two tickets were attached and folded together.

Comment

There was only one, my plan was to give them to newleyweds.

Comment

I thought i only got one too, but they were stuck together back to back. Thanks for the tickets.

Comment

Really the wind today is going to go from nothing right now to 50 to 70 km all day and night and rain tomorrow and wind. I guess it will be a perfect spray day! NOT!

Show tomorrow i guess.

Comment

Was there today and had the pleasure of meeting Nicole.

When you see the size and cost of some of the equipment, it feels like I will be technologically advanced right out of the business. The trend is pretty much bigger in every aspect of farming. You better have lots of units(acres) to spread the costs of acquisition/ownersip over or be relegated to owning good used equipment otherwise(nothing wrong with that, right Richard5).

There comes a time you want to get off the treadmill, before you can no longer keep up, or even worse, have no desire to.

Considering the cost of some of the "BIG" iron and it's ability to retain value, it makes farmland look cheap and an excellent investment.

A tradesman needs tools to do his job, a farmer needs equipment, but does the brand have to be new Snap-On or will good used Westward work.
                    Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 21, 2017, 23:55.

Comment

Just a thought.....

At the end of the day, with a small owned land base, if all you did or were able to do is farm a pile of high rent dirt, lease or buy expensive quickly depreciating iron, and support companies with the ever increasing costs of goods and servces but have no more equity to show for it than when you started.....why bother?

Comment

That's a good question farma , lots are doing it and it makes absolutely no sense to most . But they are being cheered on by the entire industry so they believe it is the only way to go.
                        There are some very big incentives from some elevator companies who supply all input and agronomy services for farmers hit certain acreage levels . Freight rates being one of them.

Comment

I know of some farms around here, mostly rent all their land, and more concerned about new green paint than building up equity in terms of a land base. Really makes no sense, their farms arent building up any kind of value. Probably be better off to work a 9 to 5 job in town.

Comment

Thank you guys for those opinions....been wondering how young guys buy high priced land and machinery when the numbers don't add up.

To make a modest return after all that work makes zero sense....they might as well borrowed that money and bought railway stocks....less work same return.

Also wondering about the sprayers that have more hours on them in 2 years than mine in ten....a lot more chemical has been expensed thru them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              Just a thought.....

At the end of the day, with a small owned land base, if all you did or were able to do is farm a pile of high rent dirt, lease or buy expensive quickly depreciating iron, and support companies with the ever increasing costs of goods and servces but have no more equity to show for it than when you started.....why bother?
                              Good question. Who are you really working for?
                              You did not mention the work/home balance.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...