• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what you have guardian dogs for ajl. You sleep at night they nap during the day.

Comment

Good to here from you free sheep. I also was wondering how you were doing. Thanks for the update.

Comment

See you seeded NO wheat so you are Free of Wheat,
        Yes by the sounds of it YOU are drier than we are!
        See lots of us are thinking.... "CHANGE OF LIFE"

"I realized this winter I'm going to be the last grain farmer in my family".... getting real close here too
        after THIS stressful spring and lack of summer....
        Last edited by fjlip; Jun 17, 2017, 11:59.

Comment

running sheep must be kind of intensive? Grass ssaid a lot of work for 600 ewes.

standard unit here for one person is 1500 to 2000 ewes depending on high or low rainfall situation.

tailing and shearing really only time extra labour needed.

Comment

Remember winter Mallee, remember "winter". Can you leave yours out on paddocks all year round? Summer/Winter(?) paddocks? Here feed needs to be baled and fed to them quite afew months of the year. Has anyone gone to swath grazing or any other winter feeding method other than the old feed em bales. I don't think they would do well in deep snow foraging through it and moving around in it.

Comment

That was in Scotland Mallee, not in Canada. We managed them fairly intensively - 185-190% rearing rate. Ultrasound scanning ewes, housed for lambing and cross twinning (triplet lambs put onto single bearing ewes) then fattening the lamb crop on grass, then some off kale, then housed on grain for the smallest ones. Shearing, tailing, belly clipping/crutching everything going into the slaughter plant. Lots of days gathering, sorting, weighing lambs, fly dipping, moving groups around, fixing "stone fences" that they knocked over. I like sheep, they are a profitable animal but lots of work the way we managed them.

Comment

Grassy you forgot to mention your velcro gloves and rubber boots.

Comment

Good to hear someone at peace with the farming situation they are in, you re doing something you like and your family is involved doesn't get much better, good for you.

You ve found a product increasing in demand due to the increase in the Muslim population in North America, increase in immigration will increase that demand.
                  Way to go taking advantage of the current situation and helping it also.

Bought a liberal membership??? Hahahaha

Comment

Thank you for the update.

Sometimes, shift happens.😊

Comment

Mostly what others said. Glad you learned to swim. God bless.

Comment

Haven't heard from you in awhile Was planning a spring parcel.. You know the drill..

MIss Parsley

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...