• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst drought in 40 Years SE Sask

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst drought in 40 Years SE Sask

Yep..i am calling it here. Sadly, the rain circles right around Regina. Regina and most of southeastern sask gets essentially nothing from the "biggest rain event" since March.

Crop tour this afternoon shows many fields that would be the perfect filming location for Mars Rover missions. Most of those you could not even figure out what is planted there, lentils sitting on surface because top soil is all blown away (maybe those are combine losses), occasional canola plant (maybe those are volunteer) and couple cereal plants (maybe those are wild oats). It is really UGLY out there. Even the nicest stuff is patchy and begging for a little drink, subsoil moisture disappearing now.

Rain is not going help much at this stage for some fields, but those that are holding on by a thread cant afford to miss this rain. With no other significant rain in next 14 day forecast, its hard to imagine ugly can get uglier but I think we might see what true extreme drought looks like.

Feels like mother nature is punishing us for complaining about too much moisture for past few years. Rain makes grain.

Isnt it always the way it goes. Baba always told me to be careful what I wished for. Old people definitely have wisdom from the past and history repeats itself. I know exactly what your dealing with man. When u need it it won't happen. When u don't it keeps on coming. Shud have been a weather man. Get paid to let a computer do my job. Right or wrong still have a job and whether it rains or doesn't still keep that job. I honestly believe the weather predictions 30 years ago were more accurate than today. Not sure if thats because actual people made the forecast because they used there own brain to predict weather patterns not what a computer tells them. Hope u get some moisture. We dealt with your situation in 2015. Never got good rain til July 7th that year and by then it was too late. Frustrating when it s coming right at u then disappears. Sorry for the ramble but I can sense your desperation, anger, hope and all that goes with the job we have to do and there is no cooperation from mother nature.

Comment

Maybe they will spend 6000 per acre to get you irrigation to drought proof your area...

They did it around riverhurst and those guys grow lentils under pivots and don't start the machines.....

Comment

He's right about Biggest storm of the season last night gee they had what two inches for That area in two days. Well its over and I am having my morning coffee looking south and the Pavement is starting to dry in Regina.

Weather forecasting you can get it right every day when its a Flood.

Here is my weather forecast for the next five days. Just out of thin air.

Windy conditions for Regina .

Slight chance of Spitting shower but probably won't happen.

cloudy dry cloud cover.

Till Sunday same.

total accumulation 2 /10

Alberta Weather prediction.

Wet wet and more wet as the flood zone i always talked about has moved to the Calgary to Edmonton and then over to North B and north.

Manitoba wet for two days then sun then wet again showers coming form south.

Comment

Timely rains are candy to farmers, but it doesn't always work out that way. I remember 5 years since 1980 where the first rain in spring never materialized until June or even July 18. There is some kind of system block over Regina that we have seen many times - it's frustrating. There's quite a few NDP in this city. 😆 I talked to a farmer last night just East of Regina who needs to reseed all of his crops if it rains - 480 acres of Canaryseed and 160 of Fenugreek. It all blew away.

It was a nice rain last night and hopefully it will bring a lot more. Weatherhub predicts a wettish June. We need an inch once a month to grow a good crop. Mother Nature holds the key. I will never curse the rain after what we've experienced in this area.

Good luck all - more rain to the dust bowl and repreive for those that have enough!

Comment

As a visiting group from Africa once told us, "There is no drought here, you're still green."
            It could be worse. Just don't let SF3 control the weather or we'll all be in trouble.

Comment

Magnum, the sad part is the amount of money spent trying to grow the crop. If we were a little more than subsistence farming would it matter as long as we had enough to eat, but the irony is we may grow enough to feed ourselves and a bit to spare but then the drought just affects the "bank account" in this type of expensive high input farming for profit model!

Comment

Farmaholic, it is time for a rain dance. 😂

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                  Farmaholic, it is time for a rain dance. 😂
                  Me and Parsley are going to Schotische barefoot in the mud of the Slum of the Ghetto! Or jig a River Dance number....stand back out of the splash zone, mud will be flying!

Comment

E-I-E-I-E-I - 0. You can make a you-tube. 👍

Comment

Two different worlds I guess! Unseeded fields and still crop left out from last year and raining as I type. The soil is packed hard from rain and when you try and seed it comes up in big chunks that won't pack the seed into any kind of seed bed.
                      If it keeps raining the crop that is seeded will get pinched off and be weak and yellow. Canola will get that sick purple look that turns into disappointing yields.

Comment

I heard that and I'm game. And definitely barefoot....sumdum can video... Pars

Comment

Originally posted by parsley View Post
                          I heard that and I'm game. And definitely barefoot....sumdum can video... Pars

BUSTED!

I'm all talk, no action, and suffer from performance anxiety!

Comment

west side of Lake Diefenbaker--- lots of clouds and barely 2/10's from this system.

Comment

Achen4Acres, you must have got a little shot if your in SE Sask?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...