• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Father's Day Week!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Father's Day Week!

What is the most important life-lesson that your Father taught you? WIll you share it with us? The lesson you learned could have been implicit, or explicit, but either way, it has served you well. And writing it down will salute your Dad while reminding all of us how very important Fathers are. Pars

My dad was quite the fellow ....got stopped for speeding and the cops asked if he had been drinking ...he blew in their face...he was that type of guy when he was right...

He had 9 kids ....they called him "ever ready steady Eddy" at the coffee shop.

I remember waiting for him to get me from the field and a guy was there telling me about all these big plans he had...dad showed up and I got telling him about how that guy talked....dad just said "yeah mostly about himself" ...I still chuckle about that ....there was a lesson in that.

He didn't suffer fools....probably why we didn't see eye to eye all the time...

He sure took alot of shit from 6 sons ....cheers dad.

Comment

Heartwarming reflection. Made me smile. Cheers, Bucket.

Comment

I got my Y chromosome from my father. And a decent work ethic. My exemplary personality and distinquishing charm(right 101) are the the sum and result of my life experiences up to this point(could it get any worse?)

Comment

Hmmm my pop was cool worked side by side hardly a harsh word if there was mostly at my sporting efforts he was talented alas i was a tryer...

"Forgive but dont forget"
          "Fewer true friends better than lots of false friends"
          "Stand side by side with your wife and workman"
          "Life aint a dress rehearsal"

He was also big about having interests other than farming

Comment

Farmaholic: "distinquishing charm"

Pars: I think It should be endearing charm.......

Yes, definitely.

Comment

He was a big light in your life, Mallee. Happy Farher's day, friend.

Comment

Father said
                You vote Ndp
                You don't come home!!

Father in law said
                You vote conservative
                You don't come home!!!

Christmas dinner was always alternated and exciting!!!!

Hahahaha
                Last edited by the big wheel; Jun 12, 2017, 05:45. Reason: Spell

Comment

We had 2 fathers - now both passed- on grandfathers - maternal and paternal and both lived nearby and had a profound affect on our households. One was Ukrainian, one French, one a buyer-fixer-upper -resell type who was not afraid of anything or anyone, the other one a sauve pilot-world traveller type but both farmers at heart. They both decided to retire at about 56, buy nice city houses, golf every day if possible and winter in Mesa for 6 months. After they retired, they never looked back.

The lessons: the Ukrainian one begged his children not to be farmers and his favourite saying was , "No use banging your head against a brick wall." Think they listened?

To describe the other was to call him a gentleman who loved flying more than most anything else (but also farmed for a living). He believed in "brothers" and taught his children never to quarrel or argue. We all worked together and never remember once a word of disagreement between brothers - believe it or not!

Those fathers became grandfathers. How big an effect the grandfathers had on their grandchildren is monumental. The third generation brothers are so much more but still their grandfather's lessons live on - go for it and never look back.The world is your oyster.

Comment

Work ethic from Dad.Go.Go.Go.
                    Make a descion and get at it.
                    Work hard till the job is done..sleep later.
                    Dad still here at age 95..went for a Steiger ride with me this spring. Would probably still be in tractor if we let him.

Comment

My dad is still part of the farming operation. Still very conservative but that can be good at times. The one thing that he taught me that applies to farming but life in general was "always pay your bills", we hate owing people money.

Comment

You can love your father because he's your father. Not every father-son experience is a good one. But, lessons can be learned from that too.

Comment

My pop passed with cancer at 78 was still working on the farm I think 10 days before he succumbed.

Anyway he wrote a piece to be read at his funeral "things I love in life" will try to find it and post its not to long and from a farmers perspective

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                            Father said
                            You vote Ndp
                            You don't come home!!

Father in law said
                            You vote conservative
                            You don't come home!!!

Christmas dinner was always alternated and exciting!!!!

Hahahaha
                            Love this story.

Comment

I think dad sends me messages thru my son....the shit my son annoys me with is all coming back to me....

I figure he is getting his revenge for the prick I now realize I was to him....but it does make me laugh when I think of it....

It should teach me to be better....

Like a neighbor says....

" ....my dad's been gone for x amount of years....his dad gets smarter every year..."

If you understand that it makes a lot of sense....

To mine as well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...