• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Populism or Leadership

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Populism or Leadership

British Conservative party can learn a lesson from latest election result.
    Instead of showing leadership in face of calls for Brexit, former Cameron government took coward's way out through referendum.
    It was pandering to the same kind of populism that led to the election of Trump in United States.

Originally posted by Hopalong View Post
    British Conservative party can learn a lesson from latest election result.
    Instead of showing leadership in face of calls for Brexit, former Cameron government took coward's way out through referendum.
    It was pandering to the same kind of populism that led to the election of Trump in United States.

Not sure I follow you - what would Cameron have done if he'd been showing leadership? move to leave Europe or stay in and ignore calls from his own party members? Isn't putting contentious issues to a referendum the democratic thing to do rather than "the cowards way out"?

Comment

Do not have a lot of confidence in government by referendum or populism.
      Too many politicians will promise anything without regard to consequences.
      Trump agenda of make America great and America first raises the prospect of isolationism and eventual settlement of disputes through war rather than international co-operation and negotiation.

Comment

I've often thought the election should be held AFTER their term is up, not before. Let us rate them on their actual performance, not their empty promises. We could vote for them on how they kept promises and fiscal responsibility. The choices would range from public flogging to multimillion dollar retirement packages. Give them some motivation to do the right thing.

Instead we keep on with these popularity contests, electing whoever promises me the most with no regard as to who will pay for it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...