• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9625.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	777593

Well seeding is a wrap in our area as most have finished and the last guys just are done. It was a windy dry spring which for many in our area was a treat. Some fields like the one i sprayed yesterday end to end no turning. Makes you wonder if i should get the drill out today and seed those patches. It would guarantee a rain as the last 10 times i did things like that it pours.

The top layer is getting really dry and our first rain will be needed in the next week. The above wheat was first seeded and is rooting down nice. Last seeded dried out really fast as winds have been insane.

Spraying is taking place in our area. We are doing first run of Liberty on Canola and RR canola has its first shot. Peas will be next followed by the barley then the Wheat before back on Canola for second shot. Some early peas and wheat is already sprayed. funny only two real good days to spray the last week. Sunday and yesterday.

So here is a break down of what the crops look like.

Wheat is up in our area with good emergence and is rooting very nice. Wet areas past years where crop died is very nice and growing real well.

Name:	IMG_9628.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	777594

Early Barley came through all the spring frost events not bad and is growing real nice a Axil shot will happen early next week and then disease control just as it is in the boot and emerging.

Peas are looking good and soon will need their shot of Viper. If the crop hears on the radio its going to get cool the next few days it will die before your spray with viper. Not really but it seems viper is hard on the crop.

Name:	IMG_9594.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	777595

Now this year the lentil crops in our area are few again. Maybe it would have been a good year to seed being dry but time will tell.

Soy is coming up in area and doing not bad at all this spring.

Flax is up on odd field.

Name:	IMG_9622.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	777597

Canola the retarded sister that has everything from flea Beatles to cut worms to poor emergence to dry seed bed to mud packed shit thats like concrete. Most crops look the same and drill type doesn't matter. Thin slow growing plants. The wind heat dry is taking its toll on the crop. Right now if it wasn't this late i would reseed some of ours. Just saying Friday the Feds will F#$K the market with a Bullshit report that Canada is seeding some 21 million acres and its all good. Bull shit is all i say drive from Regina to Saskatoon to Yorkton and back yea its all a 5 out of 10 at this time and the flooded areas will be losing acres we have been their. Purple sick water logged plants don't produce jack shit all.

Name:	IMG_9618.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	777596

Pastures are doing ok and guys that fertilized are waiting for rain. Hay will be not so good if rain stays away. Some old fields may already be that way.

So to end this week, their is rain event on its way for some areas but its a 30 to 60 percent chance. Hell all spring that would mean F#$K all. I always say we can grow a crop on 4 one inch rains looks like the end of seeding one we might miss. So its starting to look like a average crop but we miss the June one and were below average and if the july doesn't materialize were F#$Ked for 2017. Rather simple. Now mud and excess rain just makes you spend more and your still F$%Ked.

Respect the wind and watch your neighbours fields and neighbours watch your drift also. It happens from time to time we have all done it. Case guys yes you can spray in the wind but 100km put the F#$King thing in the Shed.

Be safe out their and remember the ones at home are way more important than any crop.

Wheats on a run as SD spring wheat crop is heading at 6 in tall. Just saying.

It's too ****in dry.......

But on the bright side overall we have decent crop establishment, one canola field is ugly but the other is decent under the circumstances.

On the bright side...if we can get some timely rains but keep the "surface" dry, I won't have to be a sprayer jockey all summer, the fungicide can stay in the retailer's chem shed.

At this point I'm hoping for average, at the very least my investment back so I can try again next year.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 8, 2017, 07:08.

Comment

We took the back roads home yesterday and crops look surprisingly good for the beating they have taken. Even flax fields came up and are standing like 3 inch soldiers. Many fields blew in our area and seeding apparatus seemed to be the reason. Some left the fines on top which would seem logical except with 70 mph winds, followed by same demons from the other direction the next day. Guess that is why Indian Head Research Station was developed in the thirties. A big rain would do us good!😀👍🍀

Comment

Finished the 1st pass on RR canola.
        With the lumpy seed bed I must say the half inch rain awhile back sure helped a lot.it actually looks good for the most part.
        Lots of dust behind sprayer..but sure scared to hope for rain.

Comment

Had the yard sprayed for tent caterpillars last night..
          I hate worms.why are they and ticks on this planet?

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post

I always say we can grow a crop on 4 one inch rains looks like the end of seeding one we might miss. So its starting to look like a average crop but we miss the June one and were below average and if the july doesn't materialize were F#$Ked for 2017.
            So 3" short after the disastrous, flooded out, drowned out last 15 years and it's game over for your crops? Maybe pause to think about those who aren't starting with fully charged water reserves and reflect also on the critical necessity of rainfall to agriculture on the prairies in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
              Had the yard sprayed for tent caterpillars last night..
              I hate worms.why are they and ticks on this planet?
              Not even on any other bird/animals diet! Cancel mosquitoes also, disease carrying bastards!

Comment

Crops looking good year. Light showers two weeks ago was enough to germinate stranded canola and other shallow seeded crops. Unfortunately those showers only covered some parts of the valley. Most crops have been sprayed once, will hit the rr beans 2nd time in two weeks. Getting very dry here, less than 1 inch since may 1, wind has been stupid. If we dont get rain in 10 days, crops will start to deteriorate. Had lots of subsoil moisture, crops must have massive root systems already.

Comment

Crops here are on life support durum has gone backwards for 3 weeks now, canola planted early may is still smaller than a loonie, flea bitten and sparse.
                  Lentils on canola stubble are in poor shape and on cereal stubble somewhat ok. Canaryseed is in bad shape top inch has turned brown and crispy. Need to catch it from the right angle just to see its there. Neighbours land won't stop blowing into my my lentils I priced out a mile of snowfence. Farmers in the area are stressed out just like the crops. Thistles are doing well! Can't they genetically modify them to produce walnuts or somethin? Lots of reseeding happening in the area still. Due to poor germ, sand blasting, fleabeatles or whatever else. Hybrid canolas were not bred with this dry shit in mind.

Comment

Big lentil I agree with your comment all new canolas were bred in wet years and won't handle dry.

Comment

Hey grass nice to see you around. Read what I wrote and then read it again and think I like 4 inches rain and that would be perfect. You just can't comprehend how much our area had as rain the last 15 years. Are you that dense or just slow. So yes I can relate to those who are flooded.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                        Hey grass nice to see you around. Read what I wrote and then read it again and think I like 4 inches rain and that would be perfect. You just can't comprehend how much our area had as rain the last 15 years. Are you that dense or just slow. So yes I can relate to those who are flooded.
                        I did. What you write makes no sense - rarely does. By your own account to date you are only an inch behind your perfect rainfall figure with 15 years of excess in the ground and you're already predicting a disaster. You certainly can't relate to those that know what dry weather or droughts are.

Comment

Been here before all through the eighties. Not fun at all!

Comment

Honest grass you really are a shit for brains aren't you.

Read. Or wait tell us about the crops in your area and actually post something that makes sense not trivial bull shit.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                              Big lentil I agree with your comment all new canolas were bred in wet years and won't handle dry.
                              New canolas have terrible vigor, they bred out the vigor, and all natural pest controls. Actually quite a useless crop. I like the idea of breeding weeds into some useful crops, cant we find a use for wild buckwheat or ladys thumb or red root pigweed seeds?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...