• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drought ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drought ?

We have missed the last 2 forcasted rains ? Not a good sign for this area? Every drill in the country is going night and day

Seedbed for canola , looks like a pic from the mars rover ! 42" rain sure buggered this land for a year

Comment

This is prefect weather for alfalfa seed production, more money to made there than any grain production. The showers will come!

Comment

Another morning, mother nature is pushing the throttle ahead on the wind machine at 7:30. 60 km winds again today and whatever rain is in the forecast will turn to wind. Seems like we get into cycles now that have a hard time breaking. Once it starts to rain it won't quit. Once the wind starts it blows for weeks. At least it calmed down last night for a few hours.

Comment

That looks tough there caseih. That's happened to us before to, soil almost turns to gravel . End of seeding last year some of our gumbo soils were doing the same thing . Almost impossible to get any kind of seed to soil contact . The guys with tech no tills still had very good canola establishment though . I like that system , lots around this area , works very well year in and year out .

Comment

30 plus degrees and wind every day is beginning to get tiresome. Starting to feel your frustration Farmaholic. Im hoping the forecast for rain Tuesday comes true. With all this wind it doesnt take long to go from too wet too dry. I hope this isnt considered whinning.

Comment

If you can't whine on here to other farmers where can you whine. According to CBC my area has had the least spring rainfall since 1971. Its hard not to let it affect your mood while driving down the road. Also factor in the frost damage, sand blasting, daily blow dryer, and flea beatles. She ain't pretty.
              Last edited by biglentil; Jun 4, 2017, 09:45.

Comment

It's really getting dry there isn't going to much hay for the cow guys in this area. My dad was telling me that back in the sixties it was hot and dry but many of those years he got hailed out. Hail is something that hasn't affected me too much but thinking that could change with this different weather pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                  This is prefect weather for alfalfa seed production, more money to made there than any grain production. The showers will come!
                  You are right but nobody will even buy last years seed and its nice

Comment

Maybe a guy should bet on white combine. This would be the year, as long as crop is still alive when it comes. Bet,bet, bet no pst yet right?

Comment

Tyey don't pay if there's a shitty crop and the government won't make them pay up.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                        Tyey don't pay if there's a shitty crop and the government won't make them pay up.
                        I got into an argument about that last year with municipal on drowned out crop so i told him he had to refund premium. He said we cant do that in the end they paid the hail claim . But there is nothing in their legal bullshit about crop quality. This guy was just being an asshole . I think a lawyer would make them pay

Comment

Yes Grefer, the winds can wear you down. The stronger the quicker. The stronger with heat and low humidity sucks the life blood out of everything, including me. But the crop is not past the point of no return here yet. One canola field will have shitty patches in it even if it rains. The other that was seeded on 450 acres of pea stubble isnt bad at all considering what its endured but even if it rains you won't see it on the cover of any magazines or within it's cover either! But a rain would sure help, hard to believe how it's managing to hang on.

Re hail insurance. If there are only 4 stalks of wheat per square foot and two are broken over badly by hail...that's 50% damage, same.if there's only two per square foot and one got hit...50%...end of story. I am not aware of any clause stating minimum plants per square foot affecting the payout. If they don't want to insure poorly established crops or thin ones maybe they shouldn't accept the premium. Its a huge ****ing gamble piling on the indemnity in hopes of hailing out a shitty crop. Pay more premium for extra coverage and if it doesn't hail you still have a shitty crop that you have to pay extra premium with.

Comment

The last hail insurance guy I kicked off farm .....

Comment

Hopefully those who need rain get it
                              Those who are not done seeding may be

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...