• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RB auctions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
    MNP accountants see all sizes, they opinion is 2000-4000 most profitable, after that need multiples of machinery and many more bodies. Might as well go way bigger. Watching the approx 20,000 acre neighbors is truly mind boggling. Millions in iron, shop, bins, and 30 bodies.
    are farm is 3000 acres of crop land and 280 cow calf operation. find we are maxed out in all aspects from seeding equipment to harvest equipment to cattle facilities to labour. if we were to expand anymore I find that we would have to double in size to get to the same per acre and per cow costs. and would lose some efficientce in management. of being smaller like being able to do own repairs and keeping equipment longer in wich I find are huge cost savings. plus just find the stress is not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Generation 5 View Post
      are farm is 3000 acres of crop land and 280 cow calf operation. find we are maxed out in all aspects from seeding equipment to harvest equipment to cattle facilities to labour. if we were to expand anymore I find that we would have to double in size to get to the same per acre and per cow costs. and would lose some efficientce in management. of being smaller like being able to do own repairs and keeping equipment longer in wich I find are huge cost savings. plus just find the stress is not worth it.
      I got to quit reading this stuff! Sure makes me feel like I'm lazy or at least farm handicapped. I'm less than half that size and feel I'm maxed out most days as a one man show.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
        MNP accountants see all sizes, they opinion is 2000-4000 most profitable, after that need multiples of machinery and many more bodies. Might as well go way bigger. Watching the approx 20,000 acre neighbors is truly mind boggling. Millions in iron, shop, bins, and 30 bodies.

As some have suggested, size doesn't always matter, its all management. I would agree that a 2000-3000 acre farm will often be the most profitable consistently over a 5-10 year period verses a larger one but as another post mentioned, often a 10,000 acre farm may have 3 family units working together.

Last fall is a big reminder of how close a over leveraged farm can get to insolvency. After a great number of better years in general, I fail to understand why farms would want to get bigger when they are not financial strong in the present. I would not know those numbers but when you hear about large farms getting involved with input capital and shifting to all equipment under lease you really wonder where there cash is/went. Because we all know, when you go to a lease, any equity you had in equipment is generally removed. If it goes into the bank that would be good, if you have everything else mortgaged to the highest level FCC and banks will let you, in my opinion there is very little net equity left and unless you change, the end may be near.

Putting "food on the table" doesn't require 8-10,000 acres. My accountant always says a 2000 acre farm putting up a 100-125 acre financial profit often is much higher than the larger farms.

To each there own, I just hope they understand the numbers and what is actually going on behind the scenes if something isn't going right.

Comment

You guys saying 2-3000 ac is the most efficient size in Saskatchewan are delusional​.

I would agree with saskfarmer, 10,000 would be about right. 2 60ft drills 3 combines and one big sprayer. Can always bring in some custom to help out with spraying or harvest. No reason a 10,000 ac farm can't make as much or probably more per ac than a 2000 ac farm. Are there 10k ac farms that make nothing? Yes! And there are lots of smaller ones that make nothing too.

Comment

For many owning land free and clear is the end goal and making a good living along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
              You guys saying 2-3000 ac is the most efficient size in Saskatchewan are delusional​.

I would agree with saskfarmer, 10,000 would be about right. 2 60ft drills 3 combines and one big sprayer. Can always bring in some custom to help out with spraying or harvest. No reason a 10,000 ac farm can't make as much or probably more per ac than a 2000 ac farm. Are there 10k ac farms that make nothing? Yes! And there are lots of smaller ones that make nothing too.
              Just to clarify, I didn't intend to mean that some farms at that size are not doing well. I personally feel many are unable to manage when numbers get big, credit is easily granted and the process can't be managed properly because of many influential things.

Its personal preference. If you earn $125 per acre on 10,000 acres its a big profit. If you earn the same on 2500 acres is relevant. Its up the each farmer to determine what do you actually want out of your business - a good living with some growth or a good living with a whole pile of profits or losses!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard5 View Post
                Just to clarify, I didn't intend to mean that some farms at that size are not doing well. I personally feel many are unable to manage when numbers get big, credit is easily granted and the process can't be managed properly because of many influential things.

Its personal preference. If you earn $125 per acre on 10,000 acres its a big profit. If you earn the same on 2500 acres is relevant. Its up the each farmer to determine what do you actually want out of your business - a good living with some growth or a good living with a whole pile of profits or losses!
                Yes that is key, be doing a very good job of what you have before you get more. Getting bigger doesn't make an unprofitable farm profitable.

Comment

Farm size doesn't matter much..it's the amount of yrs you farm..
                  Even the small guys are wealthy at a older age..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...