• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heading to Calgary

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading to Calgary

have a wedding on august 11th guess we will arrive on the 8th or 9th.
    probably stay for 3 or 4 weeks and cruise around, have to get down to plevna montana and up to or across to dawson creek bc.

last time I was in usa Canada long time ago rented a car from "rent a wreck" quite cheap just 5 years old doubt they still exist. car was 5 years old not company

anyone got a spare pick up.......

what yall be doing in ausgust

In August we will be expecting an Aussie visitor. Hour and a half North and slightly west of Calgary

Comment

i am an hour east of dawson creek, stop by. Dont plan on getting much crop in, we can go shooting beavers.

Comment

We are near Regina. I have to warn you, Regina is in the Palliser's Triangle. This area was designated only fit for Mad Dogs and Englishmen - not fit for Agriculture. Actually not fit for Aquaculture either, LOL. We'll be swathing lentils and combining in August.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
          We are near Regina. I have to warn you, Regina is in the Palliser's Triangle. This area was designated only fit for Mad Dogs and Englishmen - not fit for Agriculture. Actually not fit for Aquaculture either, LOL. We'll be swathing lentils and combining in August.
          If you drive straight north of Regina 2 hours on highway 6 you'll be at our place!

Comment

I'm not much fun, so I won't invite you to the Slum of the Ghetto. Enjoy your holiday in Western Canada, there is lots to see and do but those things can be fairly far apart. I hope you have enough time to do all the things you want and go to all the places you want to see.

Have fun Mallee.....

p.s., some roads aren't fun to drive on, chose wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
              have a wedding on august 11th guess we will arrive on the 8th or 9th.
              probably stay for 3 or 4 weeks and cruise around, have to get down to plevna montana and up to or across to dawson creek bc.

last time I was in usa Canada long time ago rented a car from "rent a wreck" quite cheap just 5 years old doubt they still exist. car was 5 years old not company

anyone got a spare pick up.......

what yall be doing in ausgust
              Mallee. You'll drive right by my farm on the way to Montana south of Calgary. With in a few miles. Probably be combining around them if it stays this dry. Your welcome to stop by

Comment

If you pass thru Canora which is 2.5 hrs northeast of regina i will get smoker going and cook a good brisket.
                I will be in Australia from November 12 to December 7. How many thousands of kilometers are you from Sydney. Daughter accepted an 8 month term position with her accounting company in Sydney going to visit her and see what we can of the country.

Comment

Your welcome to stop by at our place if you are in the South West Saskatchewan area. Hopefully we are combining peas and Lentils then.
                  We are 4-5 hours from Calgary depending what route you take.

Comment

thanks guys best place to hire a pick up? for 3 or 4 weeks seeing I'm gonna be off the beaten track a bit or would car suffice

Comment

Hertz or enterprise rentals. Should be able to get one at airport. Lots of rentals are suvs for not much more than a car. Pickup would be harder to find and expensive.

Car would do fine in alberta but if going to saskatchewan you may need a tank for some of those roads!! Just kidding, used to be that way but SK has got better and ab worse.
                      I am an hour north of Calgary and you are welcome here just let me know what you need.

Lots to do within driving distance of Calgary. Mountains and Banff, Dinosaur museum at drumhellar, huge variety in land and farms if you go a couple hours each direction.

Good luck

Comment

seems Alamo or budget around the mark other rental company enterprise was one nearly double. Around 380 per week a car is 320 luxury car up to 500. Will have to check insurance waivers etc for accident and theft. half tonne ram 1500 seems common. Most are dual cab only need 2 seater can seem to find one for rent
                        any help appreciated.
                        another company was cheapish but charged after 2000 km 50 cent per km

Comment

Check out driving force.ca

They have mostly pickups

Comment

Rental companies get pretty pushy about their insurance. You either gotta buy it or get coverage back home and sign off at rental company. Theirs is expensive but if you get in a wreck you hand them the keys and walk away. If you use your own insurance it can lag on for a long time and they also try to stick you for loss of rental income on the car. Can be messy. Either way in Canada the owner of the vehicle insures for liability damage to others. (Rental company)

Comment

I have found rental prices are a function of supply and demand. The websites that I use allow you to cancel anytime with no cost. So here is what I do.

Book your most likely option of vehicle and length of use today.

Then keep checking other options and site right up to departure. If you find a better deal, book it and cancel the first.

Also in Canada we have several credit cards that offer car rental insurance as a perk. Worth looking into.

The company that I insure my owned vehicles through actually extends coverage to car rentals as well, but only if I am driving.

When you get to Canada go a buy a decent gps and update it. Don't pay for one through the rental agency.

Finally, check which network your phone runs on in Australia and see if Telus signal is the same. I think you can buy a SIM card for your phone with a package of minutes that is likely cheaper than what you might pay your service provider at home. Not sure if you have to get your phone unlocked though.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...