• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thw worst stubble to seed into

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thw worst stubble to seed into

Everyone agree wheat stubble is harder lumpier, takes more power to cultivate/seed into?
    If so what makes it that way?
    Barley and oats way mellower, softer.
    How are pea and flax subbles?

Sick of the wheat, even at seeding time

Just a comment on flax stubble....I don't know what it is for sure but it always seems drier than any another stubble. Dusty. I realize in most cases most of the residue is removed but we even had the remaining stubble a little higher than usual and it still seemed dry. You got to wonder if that flax stubble acts like a wick to suck mositure out of the soil to be released to the atmoshpere.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      Just a comment on flax stubble....I don't know what it is for sure but it always seems drier than any another stubble. Dusty. I realize in most cases most of the residue is removed but we even had the remaining stubble a little higher than usual and it still seemed dry. You got to wonder if that flax stubble acts like a wick to suck mositure out of the soil to be released to the atmoshpere.
      I have always thought the "wicking"thing, but this wheat stubble is definitely NOT DRY like flax.

Is it the ROOTS? Was a 46 bu crop that looked like straw for 60.

Comment

Wheat just sucks all around. The wheat stub here is so wet can hardly drive on without sinking. Canola stb considerably drier. Pea stb beauty to seed this year, and lentil pretty good-have had both those get dry on top some years. Don't grow flax cause I hate removing residue.
        The only good thing about wheat is pulling into a nice ripe stand with a straight header. Otherwise the crop sucks

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...