• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our annual crop needs a birthday cake.......

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GF I had the same thoughts but it would be my luck it would grow and 60 bu/acre seed is a bit heavy. Besides I still have last yr hay that no one wants so why make more feed ?

Comment

Grassfarmer the last thing I want to seed on these fields is wheat. It's all on rented land and due to a snafu with the landlord it's been in wheat for two years now. The disease wasn't bad since the first year was so dry hardly anything grew anyways. We started combining swathes and it's gotta be running over 40 bushels and our grain buyer/ fertilizer guy was out today and said if it's 55 pounds it's worth $4.50 even with fuzzy kernels. Going to try a go tonight to finish the swathes since the weatherman is calling for three days of rain, two days of sun and another two of rain.
      Most dust I've seen since September 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
        GF I had the same thoughts but it would be my luck it would grow and 60 bu/acre seed is a bit heavy. Besides I still have last yr hay that no one wants so why make more feed ?
        Horse I'll second that. We put up 20,000 tonnes of silage last year and before that the most we did was 6,000. I've got four years of feed in our pits and need some grain to sell. Silage is like money in the bank to us but doesn't pay bills today. We chopped from July 10 till December 10 and chopping in hills on frozen ground was wayyyyy too much fun.
        Good lightning storm and rain starting. I'd say the pasture will like it but it's been so cold it's hardly growing. Floating fertilizer on alfalfa today here.

Comment

Woodland I hope the weather gives you a break and you can make some good progress with your situation. Mother Nature can be pretty uncooperative. A bit off topic however I am curious about your fert. floating rig. Is that your own design ?

Comment

Neat innovation on the floater woodland.

Comment

Originally posted by redleaf View Post
              A bit off topic however I am curious about your fert. floating rig. Is that your own design ?
              Yes it is. We had an old spinner and it only held 2.5 T of urea and was due for a rebuild when my brother was talking to some Aussies and they had a similar setup. We built splitters so we doubled the runs off the Morris and built the spreaders too. Three pins and four hydraulic hoses to remove and then it's hooked back up to the air drill. 75 feet X 8 mph @ 250 lbs an acre is where it seems to max out at. Works great for alfalfa seed too.
              When I get back around it I'll have to take a few pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                Woodland. Good luck with wildlife damage as I found out if no value,ie less than 3 in tall then can't pay on something with no value regardless if geese, deer caused it to be no value. I don't know if I can swath it or not it was leaning enough last fall what I did cut I did one way,i thought what I may be able to put in a swath may be of some value to me, but cutting between water holes and draws probably not worth the trouble, but what the hell I can't do anything else so might as well aggravate myself with that.
                Horse the adjuster came out today and there's about 200 acres left to combine and my brother haggled him to write off 30 acres which was less than we were thinking but better than nothing. He asked about pink kernels and my brother told him it'd be a #2 (it wasn't last fall) after cleaning so we're getting that instead of feed price. Our conditions sound similar to yours so I don't know why you were denied? The swather was sitting in the field so maybe that helped? Currently pouring here. Hopefully things work out for you whatever you and Mother Nature figure out. And remember, it can always be worse.....

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                  Yes it is. We had an old spinner and it only held 2.5 T of urea and was due for a rebuild when my brother was talking to some Aussies and they had a similar setup. We built splitters so we doubled the runs off the Morris and built the spreaders too. Three pins and four hydraulic hoses to remove and then it's hooked back up to the air drill. 75 feet X 8 mph @ 250 lbs an acre is where it seems to max out at. Works great for alfalfa seed too.
                  When I get back around it I'll have to take a few pics.
                  Your Morris fertilizer spreader sounds interesting. 👍🏻

As far as the unharvested crop goes, keep your chin up. Its a big mess many of us (including me) are dealing with and no use being hard on yourself about it.
                  I've been wondering at what yield of feed wheat with goose droppings is the cutoff for burning vs harvesting as well.

Comment

Oliver here afsc will pay up to $0.62 a bushel for cleaning wildlife excreta out of grain. Did it about five years ago when the geese did a number to our peas and it worked out fine. Hauled it to the seed plant and afterwards straight to the hog barn and everyone was happy. Burning isn't an option for us since this is on a coal mine and they won't let us.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...