• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our annual crop needs a birthday cake.......

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our annual crop needs a birthday cake.......

although there ain't much to celebrate. Thought we might try some wheat today and made it 50 feet. It's been a year since it got planted and held such promise till the end of July when the wheels fell off. The swathes overwintered fairly well and are mostly dry. The rest of it is only an inch tall now.
    June 5

July 16
    August 16 after another monsoon

October 10

Today a 1 inch wrench on edge

And more fun in the mud.

Comment

I can't imagine. I am so grateful I don't have to deal with that. The headed out crop looked beatiful. Pity. How does the ground ever dry out under that mat of straw? Then if it never quits raining you barely get a chance to do anything.
      Last edited by farmaholic; May 10, 2017, 05:42.

Comment

That sucks, it was such a nice crop.

Comment

Can someone help me on this. I had crop ins out to look at wildlife damage, they say no value left in crop so no compensation for damages, but the reason it has no value is somewhat on account of deer pawing out swaths and just wandering around in unswathed, says pink mold in swaths and less than 3 in tall in unscathed. Pink mold (fuserium)??never had fuse so know little about it , how do you that have a problem with it deal, and this is underside of swath, how does it get into standing crops, what percentage can you still feed safely. This is barley

Comment

there are no words to what your dealing with. makes my problems feel small that is stress on a whole different level. hope things get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
              Can someone help me on this. I had crop ins out to look at wildlife damage, they say no value left in crop so no compensation for damages, but the reason it has no value is somewhat on account of deer pawing out swaths and just wandering around in unswathed, says pink mold in swaths and less than 3 in tall in unscathed. Pink mold (fuserium)??never had fuse so know little about it , how do you that have a problem with it deal, and this is underside of swath, how does it get into standing crops, what percentage can you still feed safely. This is barley
              You can feed 1ppm (total all feed) of Vomi my advise would if you have been paid out for it burn it. And don't seed cereal back on.

Comment

Horse on your unswathed crop do you think you can pick it up? Our straw is so brittle that we're going to try just using the combine pickup like we've done on peas before. We looked at the other fields and filed a wildlife damage claim from the geese cleaning off 40 acres and the deer trampling 20-30% into the mud. The adjuster is supposed to come out this week since they will release fields with minimal damage over the phone. Dad just started combining swathes and was going good till he just called for a tow.....

Comment

Woodland. Good luck with wildlife damage as I found out if no value,ie less than 3 in tall then can't pay on something with no value regardless if geese, deer caused it to be no value. I don't know if I can swath it or not it was leaning enough last fall what I did cut I did one way,i thought what I may be able to put in a swath may be of some value to me, but cutting between water holes and draws probably not worth the trouble, but what the hell I can't do anything else so might as well aggravate myself with that.

Comment

That is terrible!!!

And horseshit also regarding crop insurance. The loss of the crop occurred last year when the wet came and you guys couldn't harvest. You paid for insurance on the weather last year. In these cases where millions of acres are out. The value of that crop at the end of last year is what wildlife should be paid out because the weather then lost that crop.
                    And just to make your day one farmer I know was told he had to harvest no if s and s or buts and so was his neighbor but his neighbor met the mla on the street the next day and just about laced him one and next day gets a call from crop insurance ya you can go ahead and burn it. Wtf about the other guy?

It's may 10 time to give farmers the choice of harvesting or getting paid your claim in order that they can seed.
                    If some fields not burnt soon there will be no seeding.

Comment

Extremely sad for you and all farmers SMASHED by water/snow/cold!

We might never get a crop in either, conditions horrible and if any RAIN...done.

Crop ins should say burn all crop out and PAY! Enough torture already assholes.

Every news cast bragging about young optimistic farmers yesterday... wow they must not be having spirit crushing weather.
                      And crop/livestock prices at record levels?

Comment

Just a thought from my out of the box perspective - if there aren't crop insurance requirements to harvest unswathed crops could you not just leave it and see what grows? We seem to have enough wheat seed in the soil to germinate a crop every year and that's just what went over the back of the combine several years ago.

Comment

Grassy, likely as not it won't grow. My best germ from last years crop was 42% and the worst was 14%.

We plugged the return so many times last on account of damp grain, I lost count. Not one kernel has germinated.

Comment

big Wheel,,,, burning crops puts Carbon into the atmosphere.

Comment

How high germination would you need though LEP? 40 bu crop with 10% germination would give you 4 bu acre of seed. Maybe it's a crazy idea but in a situation like this where the guy has cattle and can silage or greenfeed it just thought it might be worth considering.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...