• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain Doesn't Make Grain!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain Doesn't Make Grain!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5445.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	777574

What are the rain fall totals and what area out of the storm that just passed through Alberta Sask and Manitoba.

Any rain on wet fields is going to have a negative impact not positive as Plant 17 Begins. Guys who seeded peas three weeks ago thursday might have a few pop up this week.

We started yesterday and lots said duals would help, well second bigger drill has mud kit and duals and yep you hit a frost boil and down you go.

Soils in our area are saturated to the brim with water. Other areas are worse yet that i know. Some will have issues all spring getting this crop seeded.

Yes its only the first week of may and after today the next 7 days look like good to average drying weather.

So what totals did others get and where are they at.

Rain is nice in moderation but on wet soils it spells disaster.

7/10 here now , and our little pocket was the driest . Field conditions were good the past three days with just a few areas wet . It was just barely ready. Areas all around were wetter , especially west and south west . This is not a good set back now for those areas . There was still a far amount of crop out in those areas .
    May 15th will be here in a blink of an eye now

Comment

4 tenths here in sunny south central. Mercury hit 33 degrees Saturday. 40 % seeded with chickpeas and lentils in the ground and currently working on canola. Conditions have been spongy in durum and canola stubble with water pushing out of some slopes. Hot wind was drying out shallow seeded lentil stubble so rain was welcome for now.

Comment

Just a dust settler here so far if only there was some dust to settle. The fields are still super wet and I just hope we make it through the day with no more rain. The next seven days look sunny but the highest temp forecast is 16 and a never ending east or northeast wind that won't dry anything.

Comment

Guys starting around here. Depends what pocket you're in though. South of us on the level guys are going but my hilly clay it's greasy. Still harrowing to dry things but got a shower so we'll be down a day. For the first time I can say we are wetter than the guys south of us. If I'm seeding by the weekend I'll be lucky. Grass is awesome though. Might get hay for a change.

Comment

SASKFARMER3,,,with being as saturated as you have over the last 6-7 years, are you not seeing more problems with salinity? around sloughs that are always full, the bottom of side slopes, and along ditches where water has been sitting?
            Hard to think that your getting all this rain and runoff and not seeing the soil being damaged from the excess precipitation and ponding water.
            Are you seeing signs of deteriorating soil quality in your area?

Comment

Yup this is great for the hay crops , hay crops have been dismal here the past 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by danny W1M View Post
                SASKFARMER3,,,with being as saturated as you have over the last 6-7 years, are you not seeing more problems with salinity? around sloughs that are always full, the bottom of side slopes, and along ditches where water has been sitting?
                Hard to think that your getting all this rain and runoff and not seeing the soil being damaged from the excess precipitation and ponding water.
                Are you seeing signs of deteriorating soil quality in your area?
                He's not complaining about it but it's hard to believe that if that moisture issue was that bad his land would look like ours with salinity issues and cat tails where there was none before.

Comment

Yes it is happening here also some very expenseve flat ground has issues also around sloughs to the north and at home. Excess rain is nice first few years then it gets no fun! You change some things and start looking at a tile machine.

Comment

I guess I spoke to soon because it has been raining since I typed that last post and it is starting to move up the gauge. Rain makes Pain!

Comment

No measurable rain here this spring. But I've had my mfwd stuck 5 times before hooking the drill to my 875 versatile (old crude and loud so it doesn't get out much anymore. Kind of like me). Versatiles been stuck 3 times so far. Seeded 130 ocres total (and I'm on my dryer land). Can't wait for next week to start swathing again on the lowland.
                      Last edited by Ronski; May 8, 2017, 14:16.

Comment

Will be interesting if this holds true for Alberta / SW Sask after mid
                        May .
                        This one does change a bit

Comment

Doesn't it like to go like that? The guys who don't need the rain get it earlier in the year. By the looks of these maps, we will have to wait until after May 16 to get some moisture. When we used to seed with discers, massive straw didn't seem to be an issue but it looks like fall discing may be only option aside from a match and our popularity is tanking, haha.

Comment

Furrow what weather source is that map from I'm interested.

It looks to me the wet zone is now moose jaw west

Comment

Rain doesn't make grain. .....sooner or later it will have to here, otherwise I'll have a face longer than an old mare's. We are off to a good start but without any lubrication along the way we're in for a dry finish! WHAAAAT!? Just sayin were going to need rain here sooner or later.

Good canola seeding conditions and weather.....the blast furnace must have run out of gas!!!! Thank goodness. Enough of that shit for a while, at least for here anyway. Cooler conditions with less wind will keep furrow from drying out....have a Pilsner furrow.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...