• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A sledgehammer to the Cdn dairy industry

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ag-boy View Post
    Europe got rid of the quota and works well !!! price of milk came down .
    Yeah, came down catastrophically at farm level, put a lot of guys out of business. Didn't drop price in the stores though. What a good idea - let's do the same for grains, oilseeds and beef - see if we can bankrupt a lot of farmers and hand extra money to the processors/retailers. That's got to be a winning strategy eh?

Comment

Any dairy farmers on here? What is the current price they're getting?

I'd be very surprised if getting rid of quotas actually brought down prices in store as well. The quota system could use some tweaking sure, and the regulations, but I personally feel it's a leading reason for why Canadian dairy farmers aren't in the pickle dairy farmers are in in other countries like the U.K. and even US and NZ. The market would simply get saturated with milk.

If you really feel milk costs too much, get a cow. There's nothing in the law saying you can't drink your own milk. Just that it can't leave your farm.

Before you go out and get a cow for milk though, maybe try pencilling out the costs of raising a cow, feeding her, and labour and time spent milking her then compare it to just buying store milk.

Comment

Dairy farmers deserve what they get, work hard and deliver a great product. I think there's far to many Agriviller's a little jealous of what dairy farmers make and wouldn't want to put the effort required to be a dairy farmer because they enjoy their holidays way to much!

Comment

Well I havent left the place in ages. I personally know 2 ex milking neighbors who havent done so in 40 *** yrs. Food sovereignty aside, (and poverty issues for sure) how is milk different than anything else?

Comment

Blackpowder, exactly how would "YOU" personally benefit from the removal of dairy supply management? Details would be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
              Any dairy farmers on here? What is the current price they're getting?

I'd be very surprised if getting rid of quotas actually brought down prices in store as well. The quota system could use some tweaking sure, and the regulations, but I personally feel it's a leading reason for why Canadian dairy farmers aren't in the pickle dairy farmers are in in other countries like the U.K. and even US and NZ. The market would simply get saturated with milk.

If you really feel milk costs too much, get a cow. There's nothing in the law saying you can't drink your own milk. Just that it can't leave your farm.

Before you go out and get a cow for milk though, maybe try pencilling out the costs of raising a cow, feeding her, and labour and time spent milking her then compare it to just buying store milk.
              Milk price is currently .81 / litre. Not sure if there is any more to the equation like freight or quality premiums etc. 4L jug about 5.50 in store or $1.40 per litre. Good ratio for return to farmer.

All the power to them, retail prices are like taxes. Once public is accustomed to an amount it will never drop.

Keep the quota system but some size restriction to keep families involved and not corporations would be good for Agriculture.

Comment

Heard a woman on Gormley show saying how ending supply management will help a single mom trying to feed her kids I tend to get the smell of corporate bullshit in the air. I have no opinion either way on the quota system but I do know we will always pay way more than u.s. consumers no matter what is decided.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                  Milk price is currently .81 / litre. Not sure if there is any more to the equation like freight or quality premiums etc. 4L jug about 5.50 in store or $1.40 per litre. Good ratio for return to farmer.

All the power to them, retail prices are like taxes. Once public is accustomed to an amount it will never drop.

Keep the quota system but some size restriction to keep families involved and not corporations would be good for Agriculture.
                  In Scotland today you could buy a litre at Tesco (who screw the producers most) for 86c Canadian money. My parents buy from a local farmer who bottles his own and delivers to the doorstep for around $1.38/litre. Price paid to the farmer there probably averages in the 40s cents but has ranged from 20-50c over the last year depending on different contracts and high/low price periods.

I agree GDR that perhaps a quota cap per operation a few years back would have been a good idea. When you have a system that makes a 70 cow herd profitable guys don't need to be milking 500 cows.

Comment

An OpEd from a Wisconsin dairy producer. Doesn't blame Canada and doesn't mention supply management.

[URL="http://www.wisconsinfarmersunion.com/single-post/2017/04/19/Milking-Scapegoats"]http://http://www.wisconsinfarmersunion.com/single-post/2017/04/19/Milking-Scapegoats[/URL]

Comment

My understanding was that before supply management came in, there were extreme fluctuations in the price of milk -- and that sometimes poor parents couldn't afford it for their kids.

Putting a price on quota just means that you have to borrow money to make the bank rich.

We need a system that smooths out the ripples some.

I have a kid who works for me sometimes. His dad is a goat dairy farmer. Goat milk goes for a premium, but not a big enough one to make it worth while milking something that gives 2 liters a time. BUT there is no quota on goat milk.

They have a system where you get one rate based on your minimum month last year. And a lower rate for anything over this amount. This means you work hard to keep your supply even.

But goat milk is far from a necessity.

I can see merit in keeping the quota system for drinking milk, but scrapping it for milk for any other purpose. Right now cheese is a luxury -- it's made with milk that is from the higher price quota system.

Thoughts?

Comment

For sure we would love CHEAPER cheese. It's healthy fermented dairy. We don't drink milk any way, very hard to digest, takes 12 hours in your stomach/gut, and the protein makes all the calcium unavailable to humans. Sorry, dairy guys.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...