• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A sledgehammer to the Cdn dairy industry

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sledgehammer to the Cdn dairy industry

Trump says he is going after the Cdn dairy industry in NAFTA. Seems that we put a tariff on American milk products. Now waych the fireworks.

Writing on the wall for very long time. I dont know what policies would have saved our food processing industries for example.
    Im sure the lefty fanatics will have an answer. But too damn late now. Policies created this mess.
    Avg herd size of 70 cows? Maybe we deserved a beef quota too?
    I always notice this. POTUS flanked by local senators rattling sabres over butter or boards.
    Here senators like an old encyclopedia. PMOC surrounds with cab ministers and trys to make nice.
    Wouldn't it be nice to have the regional rep everywhere not just ONT/QUE ?

Comment

Its about time Canada stop putting people in jail for milking a cow without a license.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
        Its about time Canada stop putting people in jail for milking a cow without a license.
        Like !

Comment

I've watched trade negotiators at the WTO hammer it out over supply management. It's doubtful it will go anywhere. Canadian trade representatives defend it well. It will take more than the Donald's "Art Of The Deal" to make it happen.

Comment

I know basically nothing of how and what happens at those negotiation tables but my gut feeling is the door will be opened a bit more for access to the Canadian market.

Comment

Trump knows a lot about Dairy. After all he is full of B.S. Told the peasants what they wanted to hear. When you have a 5 to 1 trade advantage with a country you don't whine. Moronic Trump. The U.S. has been ramping up production and want to dump it in Canada.

Comment

Agstar, cuz spending 5$ on a 2$ jug of milk is good for society, right?

Comment

You should probably check those emotions regarding "white privilege" of chicken and milk farmers born into a quota system there agstar. Where's the guilt?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                    ..... Avg herd size of 70 cows? .....
                    Are you implying a "small" herd size # is a bad thing? I think it's great if a family farm can make a good living milking 70 cows. Even better if, as some do, they are able to employ a dairyman in that size business and still be profitable. I'm all for profitable agriculture and rural jobs - why wouldn't you be?

Used to be lots of 70 cow and much smaller herds in Scotland but since they deregulated there are lots of 300-500 cow herds not making any more than the 70 cow herds used to. Gotta love "progress".

Maybe Trump should concentrate on fixing the problems in their own dairy industry where 40% of dairy farm income comes from Government programs directly funded by the taxpayer. Yet some fools like to claim Canadian dairy farmers are the subsidized ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 12.51.18 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	765509

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                    I'm assuming you are talking about selling raw milk versus producing without quota? Don't think anyone has been locked up for producing milk without quota.

Comment

So Tweety, $5 or whatever for a jug of milk is a crime but $4.99 for an ever shrinking bag of chips is ok? At least the costing formula keeps the producer caught up.

I'm always torn re supply management. My son worked at a local dairy when he was a young teen. He liked the work and we considered getting into our own dairy. The cost of quota killed that fast. Numbers didn't work.

We also try the lottery for chicken quota but no luck there. We even planted trees around a years ago in case a site was needed.

So, yes, I'm a little bitter that the high capital required to start a supply managed enterprise keeps us out, but, we milked cows when I was a kid so I know the work those people do. Also, the scheme they organized to create a consumer subsidized industry was genius.

Comment

Trump the clown and the Clown Show in the White House

Reuters article--- As Trump warned North Korea, his 'armada' was headed toward Australia
                        quote "When U.S. President Donald Trump boasted early last week that he had sent an "armada" as a warning to North Korea, the aircraft carrier strike group he spoke of was still far from the Korean peninsula, and headed in the opposite direction."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-carrier-idUSKBN17L03J

I have little confidence in Trudeau standing up for Canadian farmers. Unfortunately when trump tells Trudeau to bend over Trudeau will say "how far"

Comment

While Trudeau and Freeland and Bay Street were popping the Campaign bottles after signing away a huge chunk of the dairy industry under the CETA agreement Here is what is actually happening.

CETA and the Federal Government's response.
                          When CETA comes into effect, an extra 17.700 metric tonnes of cheese, produced in Europe, will come into the Canadian marketplace. That is replacing the milk production of what 400 modest size Canadian dairy farms produce or 2.5% of the national pool. In order to maintain production at the same level as before CETA takes effect, a farmer has to purchase quota and hope some of her/his fellow producers will quit in order to make that quota available. This investment will not generate any return, it will only help maintain the revenue from before the cut back.

In Canada we have milk free of Hormones and antibiotics and as a consumer I am not outraged when I can purchase milk for less than a liter of Coke or Pepsi.
                          The trade deals are nothing more than a corporate power grab from farmers and the citizens of Canada

I

Comment

I'm honestly torn as well.
                            Dad was given quota back in the day. Just never improved upon it and sold out in 96.
                            We cant turn clock back and we cant compete. Shitty mess. Utopias dont exist. Yoo-rupian or You-all for dairy. Take your pick.

Comment

On the media a politician said the quota is worth 37 billion dollars,. That price is figured into the price of milk. Question then is what would milk be worth without price of quota. I milked for 8 yr about 35 yr ago and they were giving out quota, now quota is more than cows and fixtures, how does the general public gain anything by letting it become so high ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...