• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for a newer truck

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for a newer truck

I am looking for a new truck for my off farm gig...I was thinking 3/4-1ton diesel as I have to haul around a lot of weight in the back and I make a insane amount of miles in a year 80 000km+.

I figured I'd ask the collective group, I understand this has nothing to do with marketing or I guess farming although it will regularly do double duty lol.

thanks in advance.

What are you hauling that's so heavy? How much weight?0

Comment

I run Diesel GMC One ton. It has to last 5 year and gets 250000 km at the end, then its passed down the line to my sons. The one coming next is a 3/4 ton as don't have big fifth wheel trailer any more.

Front end at 200000 km and new springs on back and shocks all around Plus brakes.

I kind of have a heavy foot for 70Km highway and 20 gravel twice a day.

Comment

Sorry about that the weight would be about 2800lbs of tools and supplies.

Comment

SF3 what kind of fuel millage are you averaging... I also have a heavy foot or grows heavier as the day gets longer lol

Comment

At least consider the big gas engines. We have a Ford 6.2 gas in an F250 that we love. It's got good torque, decent mileage depending on your foot and starts easy in winter and no DEF needed.

We also have a 2008 F350 powerstroke, new engine that is ok but not as enjoyable as the F250.

The weight you are talking about might not warrant the extra cost and maintenance of a diesel. Drive both and see which suits.

Comment

I think you're onto something Braveheart. If you are going to go diesel try to find a pre-DEF low miler!(might be hard to find but I bet one is out there) Or take Braveheart's suggestion and go with a gasser.

Comment

around a 100km good 120 not so good.

New Regina Bypass driving at 60 km to 80 km makes up for the rest of the drive.

Comment

We had a 06 GMC with a 6.0 gas, it was good had lots of power/torque but was also really good for Co-op patronage points as well...never seen much more than 13mpg

Comment

Haha, ya the old 6 litres were among the worst engines in history as far as gas mileage, they were reliable however.

Comment

Originally posted by stonepicker View Post
                      Haha, ya the old 6 litres were among the worst engines in history as far as gas mileage, they were reliable however.
                      Pick your poison go gas and have good reliability and low teens fuel mileage. Or go diesel and Powerstroke, Cummins or Duramax yourself into a maintenance and service nightmare due to emissions crap. Def pumps, Egr coolers always end up leaking eventually, Egr valves stick due to carbon, intakes and sensors fill with soot, Oil always black, 20000 psi Injectors, ceramic 'speed' glow plugs, and expensive variable vane turbos. Pay for gas or pay for shop time with diesel. In the winter you pay for both. List price on a new F350 diesel is beyond 100k now. I drive gassers and wrench on diesels.

Comment

I have an lml duramax did a delete on Def fluid and put in a chip if you drive it normal fuel mileage isn't too bad and the only problem has been a couple glow plugs and gm extended warranty on them to 190000 km or 10 years.

Comment

I've had a couple chev 6.0 and now have a 2015 f350 powerstroke. Have a darkroom (narrow camper type box thats 24 inches above the cab) that weighs approx 2000 lbs. 80,000 km now and 1800 idling hours (no choice it needs to run at work). Mileage since day 1 including idling is 19l/100km. When driving its 14-17 at 120 km depending on fuel supplier, chev gas trucks were 22-25 with same load No maintainance issues yet and I got extended warranty to 160km just in case. I'm going to delete it when the warranty is up though.

Comment

Not a big ford fan, but i still have a 96 F-250 with a 7.3 L diesel. It rattles and bangs but it has to be one of the toughest diesel motors ever put in a truck. ( dodge cummins also good)

Comment

'88 Chevy 350 half a million km
                              '95 Chevy 1500 with a 6.5 diesel half a million km.

2003 Chevy 6.0 half a million km
                              2003 Chevy duramax new injectors 420,000 km.

Original engines in all but the 350.

The two 2003s pull trailers around 30,000 lbs...

Duramax has the best fuel milage but the 6.0 with a throttle body spacer cold air kit and chip and 285 rubber gets about 15 mpg. Duramax 17.

This is empty. Pulling they are down to 6 mpg.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...