• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmgate Video: Importance of crop rotations - Dr Randy Kutcher, CDC, U of SK.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmgate Video: Importance of crop rotations - Dr Randy Kutcher, CDC, U of SK.

Discussion on the benefits of crop rotations.

No big mystery why no replys to this ho hum.

Comment

Options are alot fewer than what there would appear to be at first glance. How many different types of crops can you grow in your area that don't share some of the same diseases? Not all crops are suited to every cropping district. Disease, insects, risk, profitability, weather ....wouldn't it be nice to be able to text book farm. Because everything always works out exactly like it's planned and supposed to. One of the few businesses you aim for the best case scenario but never know what the end result will be. You can do everything right and end up with crap results.

Comment

And sometimes Farma, even if you don't do everything right, it still turns out ok. Even good. You gotta have an overdeveloped sense of optimism otherwise farming is the wrong occupation. Realistic expectations and pretty steady hard work, plus some luck...

I think if your in it for the long haul rotation farming beats market farming.

Comment

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/86717226/gabe-browns-five-keys-to-soil-health

Comment

And why do the Americans and many others grow just corn or soybeans, and many years no rotation?
            There yields keep going up, year over year.

Comment

Researchers Should Treat the Source

I am wondering. If diseases are harboured and cultured in the residue and if new varieties aren't addressing the destructive effects of the disease, maybe treating the soil to kill or cripple the spores is the answer. To say just lengthen the rotation is just thinking in the box. Researchers need to get creative because plant diseases are becoming a huge problem with layers of trash. Gotta wonder why some people do not have diease pressure. (Maybe not all due to longer rotations)

Comment

Some researchers know what producers are up against. But wouldnt it be different if they had the same skin in the game some of us do.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                  I am wondering. If diseases are harboured and cultured in the residue and if new varieties aren't addressing the destructive effects of the disease, maybe treating the soil to kill or cripple the spores is the answer. To say just lengthen the rotation is just thinking in the box. Researchers need to get creative because plant diseases are becoming a huge problem with layers of trash. Gotta wonder why some people do not have diease pressure. (Maybe not all due to longer rotations)
                  To further your question. Over on my side of the province most guys are spraying fungicide on wheat now but there are some of us left that don't and we get away with it. For how long I don't know but when that time comes I hope to have more alfalfa in the rotation. Really though guys here are solid wheat canola and we are now starting to see fuz show up. sometimes I wonder using fungicides doesn't kill the beneficial bugs and nature needs to fill the void and the bad bugs do that as they are more resistant from chemical selection.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...