• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear tractor tires??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear tractor tires??

We have Deere 4760 that we use for some field work and lots of loader work and feeding cows in the winter. We were running firestone on it but they are such a hard rubber that they have poor traction on ice. So we tried some Chinese tires but their tires are a much smaller footprint/ height which doesn't work well with a mfwd. When the fronts blew the sidewalls out that was the end of them. We then put firestone on the fronts and alliance on the rear and were quite impressed. Now after three years the alliance have stress cracks around the lugs and a goose egg showed up in the sidewall and i don't think it's long till it blows out in two feet of mud in the corral. The firestone's look like new yet.

Just wondering what others have had good luck with. This unit is used almost daily and needs something reliable. I imagine there might be some warranty on this but I don't know if I would want another of the same thing on here.

TIA

It's worse then it looks in these poor pictures.

Tires

We've had good luck with Galaxy, they hold up well for field and loader work and logging. Never seen any gain paying for premium brands.
    I miss Stomil tires, those things lasted forever

Comment

Dalek alliance and galaxy are the same company. We had some galaxy wagon tires a while back and were quite happy with them. Much more impressed with them than Goodyear or titan. We had some tubeless tires that started leaking through the sidewall after a couple of months and the dealers solution was to hand us a couple of tubes. Just because we change all our tires in the shop ourselves doesn't mean we like to do it.

Comment

Trellburgs on the rear would be nice, square profile so lots of surface contact, and you can lower psi without worrying about sidewalls cracking. Not sure if theyd have your size though.

Comment

When we bought our new seeding tractor in 2013 it had Goodyears on it. Also on the lot was another tractor with the same size tires but Firestones. I paid them to swap them.... the Firestones actually smelled "good" when they were new...and they still have that sweet smell but maybe not as intense. It only seeds and otherwise sits it the shed most of the year. The tire size molded into the surface of the lug that contacts the soil isn't even completely wore off yet.

I think firestone is a superior tire, but you're going to pay for it.

Farming little leaque.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            When we bought our new seeding tractor in 2013 it had Goodyears on it. Also on the lot was another tractor with the same size tires but Firestones. I paid them to swap them.... the Firestones actually smelled "good" when they were new...and they still have that sweet smell but maybe not as intense. It only seeds and otherwise sits it the shed most of the year. The tire size molded into the surface of the lug that contacts the soil isn't even completely wore off yet.

I think firestone is a superior tire, but you're going to pay for it.

Farming little leaque.
            Farma, im also farming little league. Slowly but surely switching everything to firerocks. Goodyear bias dyna torque IIs have terrible cracking on the face, and weak sidewalls in my experience. Goodyear implement were goid till they started being mfg'd by titan, now we cant get the tubeless versions to hold air, so switching as they wear out. I've had 0 luck with anything offshore.

Preferences,
            Ag:firestone
            Heavy truck steer: michelin!
            Heavy truck drive: bridgestone
            Trailer: firestone

Comment

I haven't wore off the tire size print on the face of my Michelin agribib but they are absolute garbage tires.

Sidewall splits to the cords.

Face splits between lugs....

And it's tough to deal with the Michelin rep....no worries his engineer tells him ....put it in writing changes the tune....

Less than 900 hours and it could be a 30000 dollar hit.....

Might as well trade the tractor...

Comment

Anyone have experience with tracks?
                I have heard 3,000 to 4,000 hours they need replacing at a cost of about $50,000?

Comment

We did a major rebuild of our old JD fwa loader tractor last fall as it approached 18,000 hours. Finished up by changing out the rear tires. Goodyears that were down to about 30% tread. I reckon they were the originals and there wasn't a hole in them nor the tubes. I don't think they had ever been off or had a puncture since new. Same tractor has Goodyear dyna-torques on the front and the last set didn't last 1000 hours before they split out between the lugs. Did Goodyear make good tires years ago and crap now or is that just the difference between wear on front versus rear tires on a loader tractor?

Comment

Trelleborg Wheel Systems will raise prices on its agricultural and forestry tires in North America by 8% effective April 1, 2017.

The price increase "is driven by the recent increase in raw material prices," says the company.

Apparently all manufacturers have announced similar increases lately

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      I haven't wore off the tire size print on the face of my Michelin agribib but they are absolute garbage tires.

And it's tough to deal with the Michelin rep....no worries his engineer tells him ....put it in writing changes the tune....

I thought the only bad thing about Michelin was the price but I don't know of anyone that runs them. Hope it works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                        Trellburgs on the rear would be nice, square profile so lots of surface contact, and you can lower psi without worrying about sidewalls cracking. Not sure if theyd have your size though.
                        I never thought of them. Even though we got radials on right now we run them pretty solid for dragging the feed wagon and loader work on the hills. I guess I could look at bias if the weight ratings are similar. We had bias firestone on our 4440 from new and they ran 10,000 hours and were bald but fine otherwise.

Comment

710 firestone radials. Should give you some grip on ice without too high inflation pressure

7700 hours on 7 out of 8 23 degree 2 star Firestone radials

Comment

couldn't agree more bucket . 3 years ago local tire guy bragging them up . told us we wouldn't need fluid or weights and if we weren't happy him and Michelin would take them off and give us something else . well after seeding they took them off and we put wider 650's Mitas ( think they're tied in with trelloborg ) on . these tires look like new yet . ran michelins on diesel service truck one summer and they were toast ! I wouldn't put michelins on my wheelbarrow . they're good at marketing tho. I'm glad we made them put that in writing at the time cause they sure weren't happy about getting them back .
                            Last edited by Guest; Apr 16, 2017, 21:34.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...