• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power new service quotes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power new service quotes

We are building a new shop and it will be a little to far from existing transformer . Mainline runs 17 ft from corner of new building underground . Price quote for a 200 amp service and hookup just to transformer is close to $9k . They will recieve $35 /month fee on this transformer for the rest of our lives . On the other hand if we wanted to move transformer closer and upgrade they would pay half of trenching and all of transformer upgrade . They would not get the extra $35 /month for the rest of our lives . But we would have to dig up our yard again . A friend built a shop in town and his hookup was $4k , and they had to extend power line quite a ways . So much for farmers getting stuff cheaper????????? The most interesting part of conversation was when sask power rep told me their prices went up because they had an 8% labour increase cost last year ??!!!!!! In Sask where we are all apparently cutting back ??? Maybe time for a reality check in that dept ? !

Sk power was going to charge me a bunch too initially to hook up a new service. We upgraded to a 400 amp, moved the transformer close and didn't pay anything for it all in the end. Just gotta promise to use a lot of power in the future and pay escalating rates for that.

Comment

Here I planned a upgrade from 200 to 400 and the Saskpower guy said don't bother with 400 and brought a 800 amp no cost as long as the transformer never moved. If we would have moved the transformer we would have been charged for trenching. I just mentioned we were going to use the grain dryer less and use aeration more.

Comment

About $32,000 for a mile and a half nat gas quote to our farm(thinking about a shop too). Parents should have done it when it was about $2500. I was only about 18 at the time...what did I know. According to my parents I knew it all but now that I'm over half a century old I realize there's alot ****ing more I don't know than I do know....maybe I thought I knew it all too because they told me so. A little off track there ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          About $32,000 for a mile and a half nat gas quote to our farm(thinking about a shop too). Parents should have done it when it was about $2500. I was only about 18 at the time...what did I know. According to my parents I knew it all but now that I'm over half a century old I realize there's alot ****ing more I don't know than I do know....maybe I thought I knew it all too because they told me so. A little off track there ;-)
          sask energy doing the same thing on other side of building as main gas line runs 20 ft from opposite corner , but their fee is $4k , not $9k like sask power ? dad had put gas in here with grant Devine helping out , thankful for that . when we put the dryer hookup in 10-15 yrs ago cost us $4k. thankful we did that also !

Comment

Instead of digging up yard, we have had a neighbor come in with a directional drill machine....put in power and sewer line with this. No disturbance and they are very accurate where they can come out at. Price was reasonable and hardly any mess. Have had neighbors put water lines under roads, in and out of pens.....they drill thru and then pull back power cable or plastic pipe. Just an option for yard work.

Comment

Did a second service a few years ago the quote was like WTF. Did it because dryer when running made lights go dim in second house. So kind of had to. The pole they used as last pole before going under ground is a skinny little shit and was a thin little one instead of adding a new pole and it now looks like a bow. Cant wait till day it snaps. Cheep F#$Kers.

Gas line we put in years ago why not. If i could of had underground power would also done that to the yard. We paid to have our yard all under ground ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                Did a second service a few years ago the quote was like WTF. Did it because dryer when running made lights go dim in second house. So kind of had to. The pole they used as last pole before going under ground is a skinny little shit and was a thin little one instead of adding a new pole and it now looks like a bow. Cant wait till day it snaps. Cheep F#$Kers.

Gas line we put in years ago why not. If i could of had underground power would also done that to the yard. We paid to have our yard all under ground ourselves.
                Everything underground here including 4 or 5 lines in the yard to sheds , dryer,incubators , bins etc , once again thanks to the forward thinking of mr grant devine ! All buried lines in yard are always farmers own expense ,though .
                Friend just tried to hook up dryer about 1/2 mile from line , $64 k !!!!

Comment

Speaking about utilities, there is infrastructure money for that in the budget, but only if 10% of it is applied to project research.

As examples, a BC resident spent his tenth uncovering the earliest landline telephone service project in the province. He verified that on digging a hole to 5 feet, he would find copper wire at this depth (installation depth plus a yearly soil building accumulation factor) that would date the original project. It showed that the province of BC had telephone service for 100 years. He applied with this evidence, and received his remaining funding.

An Ontario resident repeated the study in his province, but he dug a hole to 6 feet. He found copper wire at this depth that proved Ontario has had telephone service for 200 years. He received his federal funding.

Not to be outdone, and to prove to himself that Saskatchewan was not just a fly over province for the Liberals, and that he could receive the same infrastructure funding, Ole Swenson from Regina dug a 7 foot hole, and found absolutely nothing. To receive his 90% remaining funding from Ottawa, he reported that Saskatchewan had been wireless for 300 years

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...