• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP spring thrashed grain

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP spring thrashed grain

After a dry winter, I had hope of being able to get combining in the spring but it has rained close to an inch here overnight and this will likely nail the coffin lid shut on it now. (Edmonton area) Now the mold and mildew will set in while it will be weeks before combines are able to get out there. Drought only wrecks one year, but flooding gets two. There was some combining around here in late February which looks smart now. if you have unpriced canola, swing the bin doors shut.

Originally posted by ajl View Post
    After a dry winter, I had hope of being able to get combining in the spring but it has rained close to an inch here overnight and this will likely nail the coffin lid shut on it now. (Edmonton area) Now the mold and mildew will set in while it will be weeks before combines are able to get out there. Drought only wrecks one year, but flooding gets two. There was some combining around here in late February which looks smart now. if you have unpriced canola, swing the bin doors shut.
    Lucky if it only wrecks 2 yrs

Comment

Our wrecks started in 2010, subsoil water levels at surface. still looks scary wet for 8th year! See quill Lakes for a an eye opener.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
        Our wrecks started in 2010, subsoil water levels at surface. still looks scary wet for 8th year! See quill Lakes for a an eye opener.
        Yea sure is frustrating , we had a couple good ones in between but that june rain has killed us so many times . Last year was july . how far are you from the lakes?

Comment

About 30 miles as the crow flies, 60 acres we own drains to QL eventually. QL Colony lost 2000 acres to the lake already last year.

Comment

That's a real kick in the gonads having rain on crop left out overwinter. As if things weren't bad enough. My heart goes out to you. As long as you are doing all you can do that doesn't leave much else .... it's in natures hands. By the way you better be careful about how you talk about to much rain and flooding. Some one is bound to come back at you here and tell you you don't have a problem and how lucky you are to farm where there is lots of rain. LOL

Comment

I've said it for years. You can manage in dry/drought conditions but in extreme excess moisture like 2010, 40+ inches, you will take years for your land to recover. Water table inches below the surface means all the alkali comes up and stays there. Rain brings rain and more rain because the humidity never goes down. Damage to equipment from being stuck along with monster ruts and holes from washout. Cat tails looking like reforestation projects roads completely wrecked or unused because of being flooded over etc etc etc.

Comment

That is so right, but OMG dry is so terrible, no crop, little expenses, hard solid roads and yards.
                Might need to move to live the dry thing....64 years and MAYBE 3 qualify.
                But here we need a MONTH of this GD wind to dry shit up!
                And the forecast is chance of rain all week.
                Last edited by fjlip; Apr 8, 2017, 16:41.

Comment

Everybody needs a different prescription for their "ailment"(weather woes). Without trying to offend anyone, the hurricane can stop blowing here anytime NOW! Who knows, in month's time I may need a bunch of new meds for what ever is ailing me at the "moment".

So weather dependant....

Comment

Here in the slum of the Ghetto...

I will never forget the time I was at a community near Melfort to be in my second cousin's wedding party. When leaving for home I fueled up in Melfort and one of two old fellows asked where I was from. After explaining to them where I lived, one of the old fellows remarked about not being able to walk around outside with your mouth open and always squinting, both because of constant blowing dust.

....maybe that's why I had "crow's feet" before thirty!

Laugh lines.... (LMFAO)
                    Frown lines....highly likely.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      Everybody needs a different prescription for their "ailment"(weather woes). Without trying to offend anyone, the hurricane can stop blowing here anytime NOW! Who knows, in month's time I may need a bunch of new meds for what ever is ailing me at the "moment".

So weather dependant....
                      I was thinking of you southerners on Thursday. the wind really plays me out ! we had 2 days of it . don't know how you guys stand it most of the time . my 80 yr old uncle stopped and couldn't get truck door open against the wind ! must be a bitch up on top of air tank filling and working in that shit all the time .

Comment

Snowing heavy with a strong wind at the moment! It sure doesn't make me feel more optimistic but then it is only the 8th of April.

Comment

Yup, wears ya down!

Blown swaths.
                          Tipped bins.
                          Lifted shingles(if you have shingles).
                          Wind burned face.
                          Messy hair(if you have any).
                          Shitty gas mileage bucking wind.
                          Walking with a lean.
                          Drifting/dusting fields in the old days.
                          Out of control or hazardous fires in dry conditions.
                          Drying fields too much at seeding time(sorry too-wet folks).
                          Fields swept clean of snow sometimes.
                          Windchill.
                          Nearly tearing open doors off houses, vehicles and equipment.
                          Just plain shitty to work in.
                          Loading flax or anything light.
                          Shitty sledding because of rock hard drifts and rough conditions.

Now you know why I say wind is my nemesis!?!?!?!?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                            Snowing heavy with a strong wind at the moment! It sure doesn't make me feel more optimistic but then it is only the 8th of April.
                            good time for the old bitch to get it out of her system ! was dryin up way to fast here anyways . where are you in the northeast ?

Comment

We have a half section of barley completely destroyed by a hundred thousand friggin' snow geese. There was no stopping them. Birds are getting to be a big factor here. First time for a spring wipeout.
                              This is a recent thing. Partly due to all the water around. Thier flyway seems to have changed also. Geese of any kind used to be a rarity here. Not now. I hate the bastards.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...