• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFTA signed today

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFTA signed today

Could be a real shocker for the rest of the provinces if they have to adapt Ontario's gestapo transportation policies. Annual commercial safeties, ultra strict passenger vehicle safeties, annual commercial vehicle sniff tests, ultra strict enforcement standards and adapting the "we hate farmers" motto of the ministry of transportation.

15444, I would like a little enlightenment on commercial vehicle sniff tests. Many trucks out here have had the urea deleted, would that be an absolute no no in Ontario? Does passing this sniff test only apply to Ontario registered vehicles? Only for on road use? I am certainly concerned that at some point the age of our machinery and its resulting emissions will become an issue.

Comment

Anything grandfathered?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
        15444, I would like a little enlightenment on commercial vehicle sniff tests. Many trucks out here have had the urea deleted, would that be an absolute no no in Ontario? Does passing this sniff test only apply to Ontario registered vehicles? Only for on road use? I am certainly concerned that at some point the age of our machinery and its resulting emissions will become an issue.

#1) While I have never confirmed it, I would say yes, most definitely a problem. Although I know here it has more to do with the reading than the visual inspection, but I think it is stringently both in rest of province.

#2) Yes, but point of CfTA is to harmonize regulations and it is unlikely Ontario is going to lower their standards for rest of country - transportation enforcement is huge cash cow in this province.

#3) Yes only road use. But must remember that all pickup trucks in Ontario are commercial vehicles. And those with more than 4 wheels require (1 ton duals) require annual safety and sniff test regardless if attached to trailer ever or not.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          Anything grandfathered?
          Hahaha. No. If it costs you more than the vehicle is worth to get up to standards, she is scrap. Lots of vehicles get scrapped nowadays here with the heightened safety regs for passenger vehicles. Basically impossible/cost prohibitive to safety a vehicle more than 5 years old if it wasn't done before July of last year when regs changed over. No longer just lights, brakes, windshield and body concerns. Examples: any little noise or grinding in the transmission, or switches like door windows and AC not working will fail you here. Any small fluid leaking under vehicle will fail as well. Good for the consumer - pretty much made it impossible to sell a used lemon car here anymore. Cousin runs used car dealership here and sees a lot of vehicles with new Manitoba safeties, which are an automatic fail upon moving here because their rules are so lax.

Comment

Hopefully cfta will get the ball rolling for easier inter-provincial trade soon, it's hard to believe that in this day and age, with world free trade, that we in canada have so many restrictions and different regulations that restrict trade within our own country. Didn't realize that vehicle requirments were that stringent in ont., wow.

Comment

I did a little reading on CAFTA this morning, really a whole lot of to do about nothing. Andrew Coyne pointed out that there are 167 pages of exceptions. So really just a political document and show to make Canadians think our governments are doing something. No surprise!!!!

Comment

15444. Really? Makes people vehicle poor I would think. Or everyone rides the bus.
                At least here in AB people are vehicle poor by choice.
                As for the diesel standards. I would have but 2 pieces of equipment that would pass.
                Nanny state.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  15444. Really? Makes people vehicle poor I would think. Or everyone rides the bus.
                  At least here in AB people are vehicle poor by choice.
                  As for the diesel standards. I would have but 2 pieces of equipment that would pass.
                  Nanny state.
                  95% of people have vehicle less than 8 years old around here. Anything more and it can cost arm and leg to safety for next guy. Car dealerships value trades at way below market price to factor in cost of safety repairs which could run between 2k and 6k. You will see lots listed for sale 'as-is'. If they don't want trade, guys try to put them on Facebook selling groups with unrealistic value and basically end up for scrap, or sometimes parts. If they can get them cheap enough, guys will get together go back in the bush and see just what brand truck can take the most abuse before they die and just abandon them.

No bus service here. Lots of ride-sharing and guys running around on lawn mowers and ATV's.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...