• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAFTA negotiations

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAFTA negotiations

Looks like we are getting closer to discussions on another item on Trump's list.
    There are still some of us who see trade as a zero sum game where we expect something in return for giving up our own protectionist measures.
    Case in point where is wheat board and grain commission regulations were viewed by other country growers as protectionist. These growers tended to support their own protectionist measures such as country of origin laws, in part, at least, as retaliation.
    In recent times, United States wheat and corn growers have become more supportive of international agreements that support and promote trade.
    Canadian growers should do the same.

How many years did we have to put up with the grain price depressing Export Enhancement Program from the US?

I don't trust any US commodity group to act in the interest of Canadian farmers.

Trump is all about making America great. He does not care about Canada or Mexico.

This is the most protectionist President we have had in several generations.

Trump will do what ever he can get away with to protect American industries and jobs.

Fortunately Trump and his administration are incompetent, ineffective and disorganized. I am not sure he will accomplish much.

Comment

chuckChuck,
      agree with your assessment of Trump but wonder what approach Canada and especially our resource industries should take in renegotiating NAFTA which our government says it is open to.
      Is there any sort of compromise that Canada can accept to avoid double trade whammy of United States protectionism along with our own determination to proceed with carbon price?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post

Fortunately Trump and his administration are incompetent, ineffective and disorganized. I am not sure he will accomplish much.
        IMHO he has not been in long enough to make this assessment. The other leaders were. Having way more money leaving your country than what is coming back in is not sustainable in the long run.

Comment

Here is a one that makes me say WOW. Ndp mp had a guy looking at leadership of that party out this weekend touting his plan to tax imports that have not had carbon taxes charged on their production. There is no end to these people's depth of taxation. I have hopes that the opposite takes hold and that we do not tax carbon due to our disability to compete in the world. I just can't see how the housewife in Mumbai is going to look at the more expensive lentils on the shelf of her store that are sourced from Canada and say to herself," I must pay more to help the environment these Boy Scout Canucks are taking care of the enviro as the climate wackos want. I must do my part."

Comment

Lots of other policy areas are mixed up with trade.
            Thinking of taxation and environment especially.
            Think trade works best when we have similar policy.
            Environment protection looks to be big Canada-US difference.
            What can we expect in a changed or renegotiated NAFTA?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...