• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bin run canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bin run canola

start new thread interesting its common for open pollinated types to be kept for seed.
    most guys get new seed and grow then use bin run for one year and replicated process each year so seed is never more than one generation.

guys have be farting around with hybrids as well with usually 8 to 10% yield decline .

one farmer I know has been keeping his same seed for I think 12 years so its meaning he bought original seed grew it kept some grew that kept some and so on and so on.

he reckons hes tried all these new fangled ones don't yield any better were talking low yield envoirment.

is it illegal to use own seed in Canada or just a huge yield penalty.

Here agreements(Bayer's Liberty Trait Agreement and Round Up Ready's Technology Use Agreement) were originally signed saying you wouldn't grow it from farm saved seed. Now the bags even have a warning printed right on them stating it is illegal to sow farm saved seed grown from what's in the bag. Heavy hand. I know guys who blend bought with bin run.....save on costs. The Cos themselves seemed to be the cause of the abuse because they keep ratcheting the price of seed up. Then want to persecute the farmer for their crime of "stealing".

Oh ya....I guess you don't have to buy it!
    Last edited by farmaholic; Mar 30, 2017, 07:40.

Comment

thanks farma

Comment

Australia's shortage of canola seed threatens to put limits on crop sizes. An Australian shortage of certified canola seed, in particular for hybrid varieties, is threatening to put limits on what could potentially be a massive plant of the oilseed this year. Farmers have expressed the desire to plant more canola this year, but flooding in key certified seed production areas on the east coast last season has meant there is limited supply.

This came through the news wire this morning,

so let me get this strait what varieties in Australia can be bin run cleaned and will the above statement create extra farm cleaning.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...