• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oats acreage going up big time.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oats acreage going up big time.

Canadian Oat Acres Expected To Rise
    Intended Prairie oat acreage this spring stands to rise significantly from 2016, experts say, in a post on FCC.
    Randy Strychar, Ag Commodity Research, predicts a 13% rise from StatsCan’s Mar. 2016 oat planting intentions estimate of 2.972 million acres.
    He attributes the increase to higher net returns for farmers from oats versus wheat and barley.
    Shawna Mathieson, executive director of the Prairie Oat Growers Association, forecasts a 12% increase, and taking into account average abandonment, predicts harvested area of 2.729 million acres.

So lets look at why, Average yield is easy to get 100 at 2.75 thats 275 a acre or same as 44 bushel acre wheat.

Wheat needs more fertilizer to get a great crop. wheat needs fungicide at heading that adds to cost plus more costly wild oats fertilizer. Oats can be less need for nitrogen and fungicide at flag is cheaper plus finally no need for wild oats spray.

Is it just me or have all wheat sprays gotten way out of line. The new rebates on Wildoats products for wheat should be 30%.

So yes oats will be a crop of choice just for fact farmers could make money.

Now get 145 oats at 2.75 thats the same as a 62 bushel wheat crop.

"Wheat needs more fertilizer to get a great crop. wheat needs fungicide at heading that adds to cost plus more costly wild oats fertilizer."

....no wonder I can never grow a decent crop of wild oats!

;-)

Comment

We dropped barley and are doubling oats and adding to wheat. We can grow really nice 50+ wheat crops here and don't have fuz problems or wild oats issues... long rotations and only 2 group 1s in our rotation so resistance isn't a big issue... use foax and occtain in crop always clean.

Comment

Better lock in the $2.75 price now..More acres/bushels only means 1 thing...

Comment

I agree. The oat mills play the oat market like a well tuned fiddle

Comment

Probably the same way the maltsers do.....

Comment

Oats seems like a boom and bust crop to me.

I wonder what it really could be worth based on end product costs.

I realize oat hulls may not have much market value but what would the groats alone would be worth if they could be offered to the end users?

Comment

Big storage and lots of hauling, mills will discount for what ever reason they want, not worth growing!

Comment

Oat stocks are not at a low by any means. Prices are still good for new crop so I'd be locking in as much as your comfortable with. All the mills are already well bought through to Jan/Feb.

Come harvest get ready to see sub $2/bu oats for a long time.

Comment

I have a neighbour here that is an oat barometer. If he goes into them big time better steer clear cause a price and production wreck is coming. This year he's going all in on oats. You are forewarned.

Comment

Ha ha. At least here there is no way we can grow oats economically.

Comment

oats is a poverty crop. The extra acres are coming from guys who
                        cant afford the inputs for a good canola crop on canola stubble.

Comment

Soy canola soy canola

No oong term oats guys know how to grow it it's not about can't afford canola

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                            Soy canola soy canola

No oong term oats guys know how to grow it it's not about can't afford canola
                            Supposedly oats is the best cultivar to sow to break the fusarium pattern. Do not grainbag so really not an optiom for me. 150bus/acre can crush storage pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                              Supposedly oats is the best cultivar to sow to break the fusarium pattern. Do not grainbag so really not an optiom for me. 150bus/acre can crush storage pretty quick.

Yup. Peas-oats-wheat-canola

no fuzz

Easy on the land too. No cut worm issues

Make a big pile... just make sure you can get rid of it in one year

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...