• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Closing STC a mistake

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing STC a mistake

Shuting down STC to save only $17 million doesn't make sense. This is an attack on low income and senior mostly rural residents who have no other transportation options. This service will not be replaced with private carriers except on the best routes. Many business rely on the bus for after hours freight delivery.

So what if it doesn't make money. Most of the European passenger railway system is subsidized. Germany one of the most densely populated countries railways were subsidized 17 Billion Euros.

"German rail subsidies amounted to €17.0 billion in 2014,[16] and in 2013, 59% of the cost of short-distance passenger rail transport was covered by subsidies, although subsidies are generally not paid in the long-distance market.[17]"

No it isn't chucky boy. Watch the bus from regina to yorkton every day and guess what a bus that size carry the driver and maybe if lucky one passenger or two. Some days none.

So yes that can be dropped.

Comment

How about manage it better??? But if you want to get rid of something make it look bad right!

We used stc many times regularly especially during crop season for parts etc.

A number of rural people do use it especially elderly people doctors appointments etc.

Comment

Might have been a lot more riders after this budget.

Comment

courrier to our town twice a day. parts get their.

And honestly who has ever driven buy a stc bus and seen more than 5 people on that huge thing.

Comment

SF3 How can you be sure. No question the buses are not well used in many cases but in order to determine what should be done we need to see the numbers.

What do you suggest for those rural residents who don't or can't drive and need to get to medical appointments?

Are you going to step up and provide medical appointment transportation for your community? What about seniors who families are not nearby? Who is going to subsidize their transportation?

Comment

It will be missed in more ways than one. And certainly by rural Sask as well as the job loss and actually a part of our infrastructure in the province; and a business for the larger cities.

Lack of ridership just proves that there are a lot more factors that were missing to people movement from A to B than the very good idea of 50 or so people on the same vehicle going 100 or 300 miles.

It just didn't all fit together in world of last decade

Comment

Greyhound no longer serves us here at all. We've adapted fine.

Comment

The buses were not used, likely the murder that took place on the Greyhound bus didn't help numbers.

It was handy at times for farm parts but a courier or Express Post can do the same shipping.

Comment

Chuck I take my parents to appointments etc. They take my old aunt to her appointments so yes family step up do you!

Comment

good point sk3. families must step up and take responsibility. times are changing. we cant keep throwing that word subsidize around like a tourist tipping with pesos.

Comment

I have to agree that shutting down STC for 17 million dollars a year does not make sense and is a attack against rural, northern and senior SK residents who rely on this transportation. This infrastructure is already set up and if lost it will never be feasible to ever start again in the future. It really amounts to about $16 per person a year, which to most people is peanuts.

This is my honest opinion on this subject and my first post and I'm not a lefty.
                        Last edited by Sodbuster; Mar 23, 2017, 09:30.

Comment

if there is a proven demand for transportation service. now that stc is gone this would open the door for smaller passenger van service. our community made the transition made a lot of sense. no subsidies and created jobs.

Comment

Geez if my elderly parents need a ride to a medical appointment that will be the day I ship them there on a STC bus....I don't care if I am working 1000 miles away I will make sure I take the time and DRIVE THEM to their appointment. There is no way STC was breaking even with those diesel guzzlers hauling a couple of people a day.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                              SF3 How can you be sure. No question the buses are not well used in many cases but in order to determine what should be done we need to see the numbers.

What do you suggest for those rural residents who don't or can't drive and need to get to medical appointments?

Are you going to step up and provide medical appointment transportation for your community? What about seniors who families are not nearby? Who is going to subsidize their transportation?
                              Chucky think of the all the C02 that won't get released into the atmosphere. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...