• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SARM Resolution on protection of property?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SARM Resolution on protection of property?

Do you suppose SARM's resolution to lobby Ottawa to relax laws in favor of farmers protecting their property would allow farmers to shoot at landowners who do illegal drainage and flood their neighbors or kill their neighbors crops with spray drift on windy days? Hey if you can threaten or shoot someone for alleged theft why not other forms of property damage?

Oh brother......

Comment

cC....we know you're smarter than that! Unless it was an attempt at sarcastic humor? Like my first sentence in this reply.

Just kidding....

The real reason for the resolution might spark some debate here.

Comment

obviously cc has not read the information to obtain warrant relevant to gerald stanley. it puts all kinds of holes in his apple to oranges comparsion regarding self defense and civil law issues.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
          Do you suppose SARM's resolution to lobby Ottawa to relax laws in favor of farmers protecting their property would allow farmers to shoot at landowners who do illegal drainage and flood their neighbors or kill their neighbors crops with spray drift on windy days? Hey if you can threaten or shoot someone for alleged theft why not other forms of property damage?
          are you for real ???????

Comment

Comparing peoples lives to spray drift and flooding is kind of despicable

Comment

Originally posted by binthere View Post
              obviously cc has not read the information to obtain warrant relevant to gerald stanley. it puts all kinds of holes in his apple to oranges comparsion regarding self defense and civil law issues.
              nor will he read any of it , or will anyone else at CBC

Comment

Here's CBC's report of the warrant application: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/rcmp-search-warrant-early-colten-boushie-1.3820632

Comment

SARM - simply decided to lobby the government for changes to allow property owners the right to protect themselves and their property.

Why you ask? - It is simple rural people are isolated and are concerned for their own property; personal safety and personal welfare.

I think this is pretty simple - if I enter into a someone's yard or their home without being invited and am asked to leave the expectation is that I leave immediately without question or discussion. Failure on my part to respectfully comply immediately then I think an individual is well within their right to take action and to use force to remove me from their property.

What means and force they are going to take will vary on how threatened the property owner feels. This should be expected as I am now a threat as I did not comply with a request to leave and the party that feels threatened has no idea of what my intent may be... it maybe a genuine need for help but how do they know for sure?

Why do we think as a society it is fine to allow people to destroy, steal, and create a sense of uncertainty or unease for rural residents and expect them to not instinctively protect themselves and their property?

Comment

Just to avoid any confusion my post was written as satire.

Does anybody really think that SARM should be wasting its time passing this kind of bullshit resolution that accomplishes **** all, except makes Saskatchewan farmers look like gun toting redneck vigilantes. This is really embarrassing.

The Saskatchewan Justice Minister thankfully told them to f... off. Surely SARM can find more constructive and effective ways to deal with rural crime.

Comment

Anyone want to guess how long the worst case scenario call for help emergency response time is? If you are in an emergency situation, in need of police help, in sparsely populated low crime area I would bet it feels like an eternity.

Recently there was a gun amnesty. ....lol. I wonder how many criminals that never had their guns registered turned them in.

Sometimes I think more "criminal victims" would serve as a better deterrent than the justice system metes out. Just sayin.
                      Last edited by farmaholic; Mar 15, 2017, 22:52.

Comment

ChuckChuck - the only way to create change is to candidately discuss the need for change. SARM resolved to begin to discuss the need for change and hopefully has some ideas to bring to the table. So yes as they represent rural people they do have a role to play here - I wish that they could focus on other operational and other pressing matters but...

Our governments, our leaders, our justice ministers and judges and to some extent our police forces are not taking note of the problems rural citizens are seeing so someone has to bring this matter to the table.

I think changes have to be made and my RM does not have the crime problem that other RMs are encountering.

Once again it is pretty simple if we are powerless to protect our property and our safety what deters individuals from creating unrest?

Take another example - why should sick people in a hospital have to lock up thier valuables? Why should there be any concern for safety leaving certain hospitals after dark? How can we not feel compelled to do something here as well?

Comment

Petty rural property crime is widespread. It is very difficult to stop because it is opportunists who don't give a shit or are out of money. Things like batteries, tools, fuel, parts, booster cables go missing or are "borrowed". I have had only a handfull of incidents over 30 years.

But serious threats to personal safety by strangers in rural areas is very rare and very localized. Domestic violence would be a much higher risk especially for farm women.

The biggest risk to my family is from assholes who drink and drive or text and drive. This is wide spread and part of the culture. What does SARM have to say about that?

Two stories. Years ago my dad caught the neighbor stealing gas. No explanation, he probably just ran out of gas at home. Did we get out the gun and threaten him or take a shot? Nope better to let him leave with his few gallons of gas and his embarrassment that will last a lifetime.

In another case a neighbor with a drinking problem was cutoff at the local watering hole. He went home and got his gun, came back and demanded a drink. Did the bartender pull out his sawed off shot gun and tell him to bugger off? Nope that could have resulted in a lot worse situation.

Comment

Something needs to be done I saw on Facebook someone had young calves stolen last nite. The rancher tried to get a plate number but they got away. This is when you need some of those mother in law type cows on patrol at night.

Comment

Chuck Chuck your last post adds to a constructive conversation. Although I do not agree with all you suggested in your post - I can at least read it and consider your point of view.

I think small thefts leads to larger thefts but regardless a theft is a theft.

Your stats maybe correct and quite likely are but one violent encounter with someone entering your property is all it takes.

I have had numerous (a dozen in the last 5 years) individuals enter my yard; some I am concerned about and others I happily offer assistance.

A neighbor needing fuel - why would he not ask your father; if he was not around leave a note or leave something of value to make it known he was desperate for fuel and planned to return later to pay for it or at least tell your father he took some.

Had your father returned unexpectedly it would then be a simple matter of your neighbor leaving the yard immediately if requested and making a phone call that evening to explain himself. A simple hey Joe I ran out of fuel you were not around so I was at your tank borrowing 10 gallons - I left my drivers license in your inside your screen door because I had no cash so you would know it was me...

I do not have time to comment on the bar story - but someone walks into a bar with a gun demanding a drink is not acceptable in my books and I hope he was charged and spent a little time in jail for that lack of judgement.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...