• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Market Advisory Fees

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So there are some?

Comment

Seven Deadly Sins of Grain Marketing

Lust: Wanting the highs. Every crop year needs to be approached independently of what happened the previous year. Marketing plans should reflect that.

Gluttony: Wanting more than needed for your target ROI. WHAT IS YOUR TARGET ROI??. Once you hit your projected or actual ROI you should be selling to reduce risk and lock in profit.

Greed: Wanting the best price, not looking at profitability. Greed is the biggest problem in farm marketing plans. Wanting a little bit more often ends up costing the most.

Sloth: Being a lazy marketer. In the long run a proactive, disciplined marketing plan will always pay off compared to not having a plan and being reactive.

Wrath: Being angry about your marketing decisions. Once you make a marketing decision, carry on and focus what you have left to sell. Don't berate yourself if prices go higher.

Envy: Coveting what you hear from your neighbors. Don't make your measure of success what your neighbors tell you they've done. Every farm is different; no two situations are the same.

Pride: Thinking you have to do everything yourself. Run your farm like a business because it is. Outsource things you can't or don't like doing and focus on what you are good at.
      Last edited by JDGreen; Mar 15, 2017, 19:56.

Comment

Wild Oats newsletter is a good resource. They email a weekly analysis and commentary, along with selling recommendations. Been subscribing for a few years now, very solid info.

Comment

So you guys paying fees for info..are you hitting the market highs all the time?
          We sell when dollars are required..usually a few months ahead..Guys wanting 12 dollar canola are still waiting here..
          Most market changes have nothing to do with supply..demand..

Comment

I wonder about you guys at times or things are different there, ive got a great relationship with Cargill and LD buyers here.

There basically not allowed to let farmers know when there in and out of the market.

I get cryptic message from from a lovely lady at cargills sometimes in the afternoon "I will be in for a short while in morning but will be out in the afternoon if you want contact me"

That actually a marketing message.......

Used it once this year for malt barley got absolute top of the dec market in SA and they pulled there bid within 15 minutes of me commiting 1500 tonne. Shipping short and couldn't fill with stock swaps from other companies. Was up $16 on day before.

Just there big grain cos there not the enemy in my opinion.

Comment

on the above post all farmers have access to shipping schedules and commodity and grade its all in the auction system for shipping slots.

grain market advisors keep there eye on things and ear to the ground

it really is a different marketing world here as I'm working out from you guys via chuck chuck and blackpowder and sask3 farmaholic and others.

are we better off or not that's not for me to decide are we better organized who knows but reckon we have more options anyway and we live with new system and don't bemoan the past its gone the old sayin "if life gives you lemons make lemonade" well I disagree "if life gives you lemons get a taste for em princess"

Comment

Mallee, we can only dream of having the information you guys get

[URL="http://www.viterra.com.au/uploads/PDFs/Ports%20And%20Shipping/Shipping%20Stem/Shipping_Stem.pdf"]http://www.viterra.com.au/uploads/PDFs/Ports%20And%20Shipping/Shipping%20Stem/Shipping_Stem.pdf[/URL]

There is no information publicly available for farmers in Canada that looks even remotely like this

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                  So you guys paying fees for info..are you hitting the market highs all the time?
                  We sell when dollars are required..usually a few months ahead..Guys wanting 12 dollar canola are still waiting here..
                  Most market changes have nothing to do with supply..demand..
                  no not us , lol . but I think we probably are in the top third . our lowest canola was a couple loads from the combine for $10.60 and $10.90 . a lot went for $11.35-$11.70 . highest was $11.88 at bunge , to del in July . have some new crop , bunge , dec del for $11. have about 25% old crop to price yet . nexera we averaged about $12.90 and some new crop priced for $12.49 sept-nov. del to bunge with AOG. 320 ac hear canola priced new crop for $14 full AOG total production .old crop hear was $13 flat , it's gone , not much of it after floods. we weren't smart enough to take the $7 viterra tisdale had for #1 wheat half the winter , did sell half though . had one load of canary priced at 25 cents , rest sitting in bin . sold feed barley for $3-$3.10 , vomi was good . too chitted for malt . got lucky , carried flax over from 2015 and a seed buyer bought it for $14 . , $13.70 net to us after trucking . had priced 3000 bu 2016 flax at $12 with AOG , That's about all we grew and they took it for that . can't find anyone that wants to pay anything decent for alfalfa seed , not much of it , guess it will have some birthdays . peas somehow miraculously turned out good and averaged about $8.75 for them . oats probably averaged $2.90 . no new crop oats or peas priced yet , may have missed the boat there also
                  what I like about it is he tells you what percentage you should be sold and it seems to be the boot in the ass we need to make the call. and sends bulletins to sell from time to time .

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                    Doesn't anyone have a concern paying for marketing advice from someone like Cargill who might be involved in input supply as well as purchasing farmers crops and also potentially importing the same crops from competing countries? Would you be confident they really have YOUR best interests at heart?
                    That's a question that goes both ways though, yeah they do handle supply in most of the world but that also gives them better insight into what is happening in those markets than the other advisor who is trying to translate Brazilian weather data to make an estimate. I went to a talk were the head Canada Wheat merchant for Cargill was there and he talks all the time with the Aussie, American, and Black sea merchants to see what is going on down there. That info is forwarded to the analysts and advisors.

The advisors are also separate from the buyers, they talk sure again to see what is going on locally. Alot of them also have contacts at other elevators as it isn't a sell to Cargill Marketing Service. It's Advisory, you decide where to sell and when these guys just try and help you get the best prices by using tools like puts and calls. If you want to sell to Viterra and they are better priced you won't hear an advisor complain.

I also believe there are several laws in place to prevent that sorta thing.

Comment

Don't hit the top but getting better at it.

we have a plan for sales and last year had a strong off the combine wheat plan. priced dropped a bit since but will average great on our hrs.

Canola waiting till last month proved a good strategy this year and will do good on that crop.

Barley missed the malt boat again getting sick of that program but liquidated while gone for $3.25 picked up.

Oats have just enough for seed.

Peas all gone with aggressive fall program and now have a decent price locked in for fall 2017 will cut acres and take total sold to 35 bus a acre.

Durum will be cleaned and screenings burnt and rest who knows not that much to worry about.

When every one wants 12 take 11.95 the extras 5 cents is $1000.00 more in your pocket but most times your selling for $5000.00 to 10,000.00 less if market tanks.

Big game but getting better at it.

Comment

re shipping stem brokers all know what grade is being loaded and buyers let it be known as well

Comment

Mallee, ship loading forecasts and agendas are not widely known here.

36 ships in Vancouver and 8 in Prince Rupert as reported in the last summary
                          That's likely about a 3 and a half week supply

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...