• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Market Advisory Fees

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market Advisory Fees

Trying to do some fact finding about grain marketing advisory services. I know there's a whole range from the smaller local guys to the big outfits like Cargill, Agritrend and Farmlink. Can anyone tell me what these big guys are charging for their services?

We have been using deputter . Im happy with it . Think it has helped us , mind you we are pisspoor marketers on our own. Think its around $800/yr

Comment

I can make my own mistakes and not have to pay anyone to make them for me. Mine cost me too but at least its not cost plus.

Comment

Have a contact in SA that has helped on situation on the ground. Pay him a yearly fee. I have Weber yearly and Duputter through a chem company. Cargill sends out a morning report.

R E A D!

Comment

Most do a per acre price. I.e 2000 acres at $4/acre is $8000.

Cargill little pricier looking at 5-10k but very hands on. Advisory only

FarmLink less but not as hands on, will actually make sales for you

Agritrend same as farmlink, but more focused on info from my understanding

Decisive, partners with FC Stone, very technical options etc.

Most will work with you on price depending on farm size and situation. Might be best to call a couple and sit down with them and see what they offer before hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinger View Post
            Most do a per acre price. I.e 2000 acres at $4/acre is $8000.

Cargill little pricier looking at 5-10k but very hands on. Advisory only

FarmLink less but not as hands on, will actually make sales for you

Agritrend same as farmlink, but more focused on info from my understanding

Decisive, partners with FC Stone, very technical options etc.

Most will work with you on price depending on farm size and situation. Might be best to call a couple and sit down with them and see what they offer before hand.
            Thanks. I know the smaller guys charge less, but I guess $4 plus is standard for the big name brands. Seems to be the way things are heading. Hope it pays off.

Comment

The guys who run the services are all good and have great resources behind them. The bigger ones like Cargill do cost more but honestly you have much more available to you then others in terms of info, advice, learning, etc.

They might not give you guaranteed returns every year, but they do teach you a lot and help you build you marketing plan.

Comment

We have the intro version of Farmlink.

I think it's about 2400 a year... Daily commentary, which explains what's going on, plus sell recommendations.... They do a lot more also if you pay extra, and sit down with a guy if you need that.

They have a 30 day demo to try out too.

We're very happy with them so far.

Comment

Do most of it myself. Get advice from one guy on certain things. Isn't that hard . Cost me some beer .

Comment

Different needs for everyone. After trying a few over the years I'm comfortable where I'm at.
                    My broker tracks my hedging. Commision only. Grainshark sends price info/recs plus website access for something like $600/ year +-, no matter acres. Depending on number of commoditys. I read Agriweek for shits and giggles every week. Never again paying a per acre shiny pants.

Comment

Doesn't anyone have a concern paying for marketing advice from someone like Cargill who might be involved in input supply as well as purchasing farmers crops and also potentially importing the same crops from competing countries? Would you be confident they really have YOUR best interests at heart?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                        Doesn't anyone have a concern paying for marketing advice from someone like Cargill who might be involved in input supply as well as purchasing farmers crops and also potentially importing the same crops from competing countries? Would you be confident they really have YOUR best interests at heart?
                        Nah they have your best interests in mind at all times LOL.. The only way to have control of your business, is to have control of your business.. No marketing type fees paid here ever and never will be.

Comment

How in God's name could anyone pay for marketing advice from a grain co? Could you find a grain co marketing rep that isn't biased to the company who pays their salary? I could see someone paying for advice from an unaffiliated unbiased marketing service only with no skin in the game selling you inputs or buying your grain......to each their own!
                          Last edited by farmaholic; Mar 15, 2017, 19:33.

Comment

I forgot my favourite one Grain Shark he recommends sales and where you should be 60% old crop canola zero new is example.

Sticks his neck out and is close.

Comment

There are some pretty good elevator agents , they aren't all crooks .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...