• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB and farmer control sorry chuck chuck

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB and farmer control sorry chuck chuck

A myth there and here all we had was ability to vote directors on and off nothing more nothing less.

My father was a real renegade as was grandfather was against single desk, unscrupulous buyer used to rip off farmers etc etc grandpa used say well don't sell if your not happy sit and wait people used to complain only one buyer hmmm nothing changed with single desk......

Anyway one of there beefs with single desk was the "farmer owned and run" dad used think sure maybe one or two farmers as directors not 10 or whatever we had, he used to say we needed hard headed business men running single desk not farmers were good at farming not running billion dollar businesses
    Man did he get howled down at meetings.

The CWB here only had illusion of farmer control. Adrian Measner and Ward Wiesenthal (CEO and #1 henchman) ran the show here. It was their own little fiefdom.

I low that some of the selected farmer directors run very good farms, but I agree that that doesn't always transfer to good management of big business.

Comment

We will have the endless bs here from a select few, until all old enough to know are gone.
      Assuming OZ not as silly? Wonder why. Must have different historys from post war1 and on.
      Wonder what led to different historys.
      Interesting that the same bs'ers are cramming green at all costs down our throats.
      Using the same earmuff and loudspeaker approach.
      Same there with green crap?

Comment

Saw some humor here.

Comment

Humor and irony

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
            A myth there and here all we had was ability to vote directors on and off nothing more nothing less.

My father was a real renegade as was grandfather was against single desk, unscrupulous buyer used to rip off farmers etc etc grandpa used say well don't sell if your not happy sit and wait people used to complain only one buyer hmmm nothing changed with single desk......

Anyway one of there beefs with single desk was the "farmer owned and run" dad used think sure maybe one or two farmers as directors not 10 or whatever we had, he used to say we needed hard headed business men running single desk not farmers were good at farming not running billion dollar businesses
            Man did he get howled down at meetings.
            "Man did he get howled down at meetings"

This is very similar to the non support CWB haters had in Western Canada.

Your history is very similar to the CWB haters who seem to feel that they need to carry on an old family tradition. They are ideologues that make political statements with no information and data to back it up.

We have had instances in the past when anti CWB Directors such as Rod Flaman, Lorne Hehn and Ken Ritter got elected to the CWB as directors opposed to the single desk. When they saw the advantages of the CWB single desk they turned into supporters of the CWB.

Anyway when my neighbors all say they will not seed wheat anymore I understand the pain out there caused by the removal of the single desk.

In Canada farmers carry 100 billion dollars of farm debt which is unsustainable.

We are land locked in the prairies with two mountain ranges to ship from Saskatoon to Vancouver 1560 KM. From Manitoba to Vancouver is over 2000 KM

We can thank the Western Canadian Wheat Growers for eliminating our Crow Rate and the high cost of grain freight in Western Canada.

Do you get paid anything for protein in Australia? Right now for the protein premium is 40 cents a bushel for 1RS 15.5 protein over the base price for 1RS 13.5. In the 2011-- 2012 crop year with the CWB we received up to $3.44 a bushel Premium for protein comparing 1 RS 11.5 Protein to 1 RS 15.5 Protein.

Do you have a quality control system such as we once had with the Canadian Grain Commission? We no longer do inward inspection at port allowing the grain companies to destroy our reputation for high quality wheat.

Comment

So mallee are you suggesting farmers are not capable of owning and directing large scale organizations such as the CWB or AWB? There is plenty of evidence in North America that farmer and community owned and run Cooperatives and Coop Federations are and can be very successful. Which makes your assertions that farmers sitting on boards of directors can't successfully direct businesses, off the mark. Maybe in Oz your farmers can't handle the job.

2 examples below

CHS Inc.
              From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CHS Inc.
              Type
              Secondary agricultural cooperative
              Traded as NASDAQ: CHSCP
              Industry Wholesale agriculture products
              Fuels
              Founded 1931 as Farmers Union Central Exchange
              Headquarters Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
              Key people
              Carl Casale, CEO
              Revenue $34.6 billion Decrease (2015)
              Operating income
              $715 million Decrease (2015)
              Net income
              $780 million Decrease (2015)
              Total assets $15.2 billion (2015)
              Website www.chsinc.com

CHS Inc. is a Fortune 100 business owned by United States agricultural cooperatives, farmers, ranchers, and thousands of preferred stock holders. Based in Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota,[1] it owns and operates various food processing and wholesale, farm supply, Cenex brand fuel, financial services and retail businesses, and is a co-owner of Ventura Foods, a vegetable oil processor.

It is ranked 1st on the National Cooperative Bank Co-op 100 list of mutuals and cooperatives (ranked by 2012 revenue), and 69th (by 2012 revenue) in the Fortune 500 2013 list of United States corporations.

Then in Canada we have
              Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL), is a co-operative federation, established in 1955, providing procurement and distribution to member co-operatives in Western Canada.[4] Federated Co-operatives is owned by about 365 member co-operatives across the region. Some are large co-operatives, such as Saskatoon Co-op and Calgary Co-op, while others are small co-ops based in small towns, such as Abernethy Co-op.

In 2009, FCL was ranked as the largest co-operative in Canada by total sales.[4] In 2010, FCL was the second largest company by annual sales in Saskatchewan.[5] During that year, it earned revenues of 498 million and returned $355.7 million to its member retailers. In 2008 Federated Co-operatives saw sales increase and posted its 37th record year in a row for both sales and profits.[6]

Comment

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/alberta-farmers-jailed-over-wheat-exports-1.329406

Comment

Chuck, throwing up the Directors of CHS as an example of farmer directed boards is a joke. These directors (CHS) are like a who's who list of highly qualified, highly educated people who just happen to have farms, ranches and farm supply businesses

Ian McCreary and Butch Harder types sweep out bins for these types. Not a fair comparison.

When was Ken Ritter anti monopoly? He was just pro-Ken. Not good to speak ill of the dead so I'll let the rest of Ken's story rest there.

Also, joining a co-op is voluntary, not like the compulsory, but for prairie farmers only compulsory, enslavement of the CWB.

Comment

So Braveheart when you refer to the highly qualified highly educated people on the CHS board are these the people who got an MBA or University business degree based on published peer reviewed research and make good business decisions based on evidence?

You are right, most Agriville posters are not qualified because many of their decisions are only based on politics and not evidence.

What about the Boards of all the member Coops? I think you will find that the majority of the Directors of the grain coops in North Dakota are indeed farmers.

Take a look at the Federated Coop Board. Yep there are some farmers on there too.

So yee of little faith, you might want to stick to your other complaints about the CWB. You may have disagreed with the direction of the CWB but the elections for the board were open and democratic. You just could not win a majority on the Board because farmers repeatedly elected a majority of single desk supporters.

Comment

Actually, when all those dead people and retired and absentee farmers voted in the board that was there, I wasn't disappointed. I knew with the cast of characters it would just be a matter of time before the board was gone.

Comment

How on earth did a CHS ever exist without being mandatory??? Proof right there.

God, this is getting silly.
                        Do your children farm???

Comment

And I assume you would happily never grow lentils. Hypocritical to do so.
                          Course not sure there would be much market if the putrefied bord in control.

Comment

I am great friends with a ex awb director very very intelligent man, but he told me a million times if not one million and 1 all decision were made my ceo and the cwb from top down until it got to directors who would anylize it listen to debate and vote usually the way of those above.

CWB would have been no different farmer directors had little involment in policy zero in sales and risk management.

That not a criticism just the truth of most famer run shows.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	17264790_10155088072286369_2770222848324501294_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	765462

Comment

So in a nutshell crow rate was subsidized freight and was abolished??
                              Leading to closure of elevators no doubt?

NSW 2nd largest wheat state has cross subsized freight even today from certain areas of the state apparently $6 to haul wheat on rail rather than truck for up to 600 kms but this isn't in public forum but known so still happens.

I'm not here to debate rights or wrongs chuck just saying how it is in aust compared with you guys. Weve got it 3/4right still have huge supply chain costs and mostly at port.
                              Last edited by malleefarmer; Mar 15, 2017, 02:56.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...