• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sask Farmer Subsidies

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sask Farmer Subsidies

Just read this article.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/farm-subsidies-agriculture-saskatchewan-budget-1.4018441

CBC doing what it does best. Making up news.

You have got to be kidding me.The CWB hat says it all for me.

Comment

The taxes I pay on fixing vehicles due to driving shitty roads ....I think the fuel tax and other subsidies can stay in place.

That and driving past elevators that could handle my grain....

But the subsidies are going to be cut....not thru reducing wasteful management .....

Comment

Drop fuel rebate
        Raise education taxes
        Cut out insurance subsidy

Outstanding makes my day. FCC big banks and credit unions lined up to give me money to buy out the weak that won't afford hikes to fuel, land taxes, and insurance. Can't harvest your crop? Boo hooo,so what I got people in those places telling me there are lots on the bubble, this will make some burst I ll be ready.

All these improvements for example getting rid of local elevators for more efficient ones hundreds of miles away, no credit for small farms, Unharvested crop hahahaha make it easier for me to expand.

This farming is so hard. I don't know if I can go on. Oh well decided on 4 track units. That'll help the tax problem somewhat. Had to switch from red they actually wanted some cash from me. Haha

Comment

farmers in sask are over eight billion in debt, the provincial debt is small potatoes

Comment

The issue is a sensitive one. A number of Saskatchewan experts and academics privately told CBC News that various farm subsidies were excessive or unnecessary, but refused to discuss the issue on the record. Some declined to return calls after they learned the subject matter.

The provincial government is facing a projected deficit of $1.2 billion. The agriculture industry reaps $368 million in annual tax breaks.

That includes $121 million for farm fuel purchases. The provincial auditor said last year that the program had no defined purpose.

There's also $84 million per year in sales tax relief for farm machinery and parts, as well as $163 million for pesticide, seed and fertilizer.

On a recent afternoon, Goff opened a creaky aluminum grain bin door and scooped a handful of dark red canola seed.
            Try galvanized, moron, and BLACK canola!
            One other difference is farm size. Thirty years ago, the Goff family's 5,000-acre operation was considered large. 5000 still large...

Some out-of-province corporations now control more than 20 times that amount, according to a recent study by researchers at the University of Saskatchewan, University of Regina and University of Manitoba. The largest, owned by Alberta's Robert Andjelic, has Saskatchewan holdings of 180,000 acres.
            Who TF is this guy?
            As for the agriculture subsidies, one money-saving option would be to limit eligibility to smaller operations based on acreage or income as other programs do, he said

Comment

Just for re-education, someday I'd like to see all these assholes get really hungry. Food production is a national security issue. Starve farmers and someday everyone will starve.

The thing is, these aren't subsidies that distort the marketplace, or give Canadian farmers an unfair advantage in export markets.

Comment

Do you think fuel that never sees a road should pay road tax?

Comment

Andjelik had a section bought up for a while near us.

And I agree with sdg.....why pay road tax on fuel burned in the field? How the **** could we afford to "absorb"(because that is exactly what it would be) the cost of another 5% provincial sales tax on parts, chem, fert and seed? Are they ****ing nuts?

Comment

Oilfield guy from a. Originally from mb

He bought our old farm

Comment

The biggest subsidy is this story is the professors salary. Did you ever notice most professors have little real life skills? They couldnt even pump gas and make change.

Comment

The ex CWB director wants someone else's money, go figure ....

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
                          farmers in sask are over eight billion in debt, the provincial debt is small potatoes
                          And that is the 800 pound gorilla sitting in the middle of the room that no one wants to acknowledge.

A consolation for that debt is, some of it is land purchases, a physical asset which has proven long term appreciation.

Comment

........"appreciation" looks like it already happened! But success will be determined by when you bought in.... Buying in right now sure doesn't give me a good gut feeling.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Clearly Goff hasn't a clue. Prob inherited a farm and has been caretaker. Farms are not overly profitable. A completely inclusive assessment of equipment depreciation and a realistic labor charge and some reasonable return on investment and most farms are not as profitable as a business in town. Farm debt has been aggressively increasing. Would it be if profitability was at a proper level? Not necessarily.
                              Farm fuel should not pay for a road if it runs a tractor up and down the field.
                              Farms pay income tax when they make money. That and all the tax generated off the wealth created by farm production is a BIG contribution.
                              We will continue to do our part all right. Take monumental risk, work nearly every day of the year and generate billions of wealth for the province and country. The few programs there are specific to agriculture can stay.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...