• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

45 Days till Seeding Have your seeding plans changed. Ours have.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

45 Days till Seeding Have your seeding plans changed. Ours have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	777511

So far this winter has been perfect for our area min snow. Unfortunately the last few storms have had wind and any slough with a Cat Tail is full to the brim. Run off from land will just soak in but the sloughs will fill with snow pack and run to creeks. One spring storm with heavy snow or heavy rain and game plan three is introduced.

So with 45 days left to go have plans changed, On our farm yes a bit.

I think the USA wheat crop is way smaller than they are saying and its really growing fast and ahead of normal so a Easter weekend or early april Frost cold snap or snow would have a dramatic effect on the crop.

Name:	DSCN0709.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	777512

4000 acres hrs we need the filler Barley has been a Dud. Malt is a joke and Oats should be over three all the time with our dollar at 33% discount. Funny the yards at Quaker were all Canadian rail cars. Cheap supplier i guess.

Durum 200 at most probably 100 because i just cant give up the drug.

Canola at 4800 as we have only one crop we can use as a specialty crop and unfortunately canola pays the bills. Ground is ready to go back to this number.

Peas i am dropping back to 600 acres do to the problems with India. It is a joke what they are doing but when your a buyer you can joke around when the supply is good or great. When it gets tight then you panic. Use contract we have and just fill it with a little left for seed if have hail on one someone would fill for price used. Better than selling rest at $6.00.

Lentils zero and zero, cant grow them any more with all moisture and india really scares me.

Flax none as i hate to grow it.

Oats 300 for shits and giggles.

Barley malt down because just sick and tired of shipping cow boys plump nice barley for feed. 300 acres.

SORRY TO THE GRASS MAN NO FRICKING GRASS WILL BE SEEDED.
    Last edited by SASKFARMER3; Mar 14, 2017, 07:25.

What?!?!?! No soy SF3?

Every year it takes more to get me motivated. And the land that sold beside me sold for nearly 2K an acre......I never thought this was two thousand dollar an acre dirt. I farmed here all my life seen some crops that definitely wouldn't justify those prices and much fewer that would.

Comment

Yes it is hard to get motivated when poor pasture or lighter land is trading at $1000 now and not bad is $1500.00. All this Thanks to guys selling out in Alberta or Ontario and now buying. Or Great land trading $2400.00 a acre to Guys who sold million dollar companies and now want to farm.

So yea its a tough time to decide does a person roll the dice and go again or is it just about time to call it and take up Golf, Fishing full time, ( Boat is 400000 with four 300 hp motors on the back) or just move to a more peaceful thing to do.

Comment

SF3, the issues in India have certainly taken the shine off of pea and lentil markets. As for malt barley I am with you, the weather patterns of the last 5 years have made my success rate less than 50%. Going to grow some semi-dwarf feed barley just because I prefer barley straw for the cows but malt barley is gone from my rotation. The markets are pushing farmers to a wheat canola rotation. Not good for farmers or the land. I will still be growing peas but less than last year. If I was a canola crusher I would be doing a dance, next year looks good for them.

Comment

Funny all American farmers on the Deere tour were saying similar songs. Corn and Soy repeat is not like it use to be.
          Now they do grow winter wheat on some ground and hope to have it off by June farm progress show time and are now double cropping with short season soy.

Any one who thinks Bayer Monsanto Syngenta etc are developing short season corn or Soy for Canada are nuts. Its been developed so Americans and South America can Double crop to keep prices down and supply good to great to abundant.

Name:	IMG_9041.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	765459

Comment

45 days.

Comment

I have seen that in May as well.

Comment

No change here.

Comment

MB fella here, lots of guys planning on through bean acres in. More and more elevators are doing trains and price for new crop is still above 11 in a lot of places. Estimates are 2 million acres. I'd bet gonna be over 2.2 if we can seed it.

Wheat is going to be taking the hardest hit. 15%-20% hit in acres. Price isn't great and isn't going to get better till seeding intention reports start coming out and even then it's not gonna be great.

Comment

take more than a freeze in states to kick wheat prices but your doing exactly whats meant to happen in a free marker growers respond to market signals and plant more or less of a certain crop.

EU farmers will not respond despite canola showing bets returns at current prices they stick with wheat those of us in lower rainfall parts are kinda locked into crop types by weather, in aust a lot of guys have dropped of poor performing country and will run extra sheep or plant it tto hay.

Comment

Nope , 30% canola , 30% peas , 30% wheat , and a bit of soybeans

Comment

No changes.. Durum, Malt Barley, Red, Large green, small green, black lentils, peas, canola... Never change much in the ratio.

Comment

Durum acres will be down overall, more soy growers around regina than ever before that is for sure.

We are probably going to leave them to the more adventurous.

Comment

JD , have you grown blacks before ?
                            Interesting lentil

Comment

Beans, beans, beans.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...