• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reflecting on price and protein premiums received by farmers from the single desk CWB

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reflecting on price and protein premiums received by farmers from the single desk CWB

The Canadian Wheat Board always received a premium for 1CW 13.5 protein wheat out of Vancouver over US dark Northern wheat out of Portland. Canadian wheat now sells at a discount of $15.00 tonne to Portland wheat. According to Sask Wheat Grain Companies are taking an extra $1.00 a bushel in basis from farmers checks.

Grain companies are not marketers they are margin traders and if they make a margin they sell.

The Canadian Wheat Board returned value to farmers and here are two examples..

In the 2010/2011 crop year, for example the CWB premium for 15.5 protein 2RS was $3.46 a bushel extra. This is $173 more per acre for the protein on a 50 bushel crop.

The Canadian Wheat Board returned value to farmers. In the 2007-2008 crop year my take home net price for the #2 RSW with 15.5% or higher protein was indeed $12.64 / bushel. It should be noted that the Canadian dollar was near par with the US dollar in this period. In Canada we have the the Harper dollar that is at 74 cents US right now.

Does anyone on here seriously think that these prices $12.64 a bushel for 2RS and protein premiums of $3,46 a bushel will ever be achieved again with four monopoly grain companies in charge of grain marketing?

Not sure if your don't have a clue or if your misleading some more, but Carney/Harper were strong dollar supporters and that's what we had much of the time while they pulled the levers. Poloz/Trudeau, well I'm sure what Trudeau stands for but Poloz comes with an eastern slant for exports and a weak dollar, just read what he says and witness the results. That thing you just said, BS.

Comment

[URL="https://www.manitobacooperator.ca/daily/cwbs-2010-11-final-payments-set"]https://www.manitobacooperator.ca/daily/cwbs-2010-11-final-payments-set[/URL]

Do you still have your grain tickets? Better double check.

Anyway it could be we will never see protein premiums like that again. 2010 was a disaster on the farm here. Got flooded out. You did well to harvest such a bountiful crop of top quality wheat.
      Also, Russia and Ukraine had big crop problems and withdrew from world markets for a while. Aussie crops were downgraded.
      Things could get worse like 06-7 and 07-8. Protein spreads were poor like only 40 - 50 cents between 11.5 and 15.5 protein. Maybe a little more that a cent a point. Ouch
      Last edited by farming101; Mar 13, 2017, 22:19.

Comment

Comment

Nothin to see here. Move along folks.

Comment

I eat porridge every morning for breakfast, but yet, I am the type of person that cant remember what I had for breakfast yesterday morning, let alone what conventional wheat prices were doing in 2010/2011.

Has anybody tried to use www.farmlead.com yet? This is a platform where a farmer can offer out his grain at the price targets he expects. I think it is one way to give exposure to your invetory for multiple buyers to see.

I talked to a wealthy generational farmer today. He said "I don't want to grow wheat" 4 times in our conversation .
            60 bu/acre x $6.60 =$396.00/acre. Subtract $350.00/acre COP that leaves a farmer $46.00/acre.
            Thats like a John Deere tractor. Its Better than nothing....but not much.

Comment

i never got close to 12 dollars for wheat through the cwb. did just the farmers for less get that price just like the extra ballots?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                LOL!!!

Pretty much sums integrity up!

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  like, like, like

Comment

CWB idea of marketing freedom, Clinton or Bush take your pick

Comment

Comment

I remember the CWB deductions being about $60/tonne on wheat on our cheques. I can honestly say I don't know or remember if we were getting all the "port" price less the cheque deductions. And then the odd time they said the government guarantee had to bail out the pools?

I guess some would say they are undoubtedly better off in the new system, moving as much as they want when they want (not totally true) and hopefully capturing the market peaks instead of having to take a pooled average. Before it was just shopping it around for the best grade, now its grade and price.

I don't think opening it up was the worst thing to do.....I just would have liked to see a smoother transition. ...not blow open the flood gates and let her go! Checks and balances.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrity_Farmer View Post
                          The Canadian Wheat Board always received a premium for 1CW 13.5 protein wheat out of Vancouver over US dark Northern wheat out of Portland. Canadian wheat now sells at a discount of $15.00 tonne to Portland wheat. According to Sask Wheat Grain Companies are taking an extra $1.00 a bushel in basis from farmers checks.

Grain companies are not marketers they are margin traders and if they make a margin they sell.

The Canadian Wheat Board returned value to farmers and here are two examples..

In the 2010/2011 crop year, for example the CWB premium for 15.5 protein 2RS was $3.46 a bushel extra. This is $173 more per acre for the protein on a 50 bushel crop.

The Canadian Wheat Board returned value to farmers. In the 2007-2008 crop year my take home net price for the #2 RSW with 15.5% or higher protein was indeed $12.64 / bushel. It should be noted that the Canadian dollar was near par with the US dollar in this period. In Canada we have the the Harper dollar that is at 74 cents US right now.

Does anyone on here seriously think that these prices $12.64 a bushel for 2RS and protein premiums of $3,46 a bushel will ever be achieved again with four monopoly grain companies in charge of grain marketing?
                          Just take a minute and think about it. It's the exact opposite. The CWB only had a monopoly against farmers. They had absolute right to buy the grain from farmers in Canada. What makes you think they had any sort of monopoly on selling grain to the world? They had like 15% market share on wheat and only cwrs and no other wheat. they would even force cwrs into non cwrs markets. Please enlighten me how I have this wrong

was from the last thread. Thought I would repost since Chuck chuck, grassy and IF ignored it

Comment

Macdon - that bush / Clinton pic says soooo much .

Comment

interesting that since awb single desks demise a lot of the permiums have been debunked, kick backs paid, cut rate for freight as awb had own shipping charter lots of smoke and mirrors and in time a lot of ex awb guys are now working for private sector and revealing what went on. But strangley no one gives a stuff history no sour g****s move on type scenario.

But agree I think was farmaholic you guys were not ready for change.
                              And someone else mentioned costs of single desk hidden and other wise

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...