• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is your Land/property taxes high?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is your Land/property taxes high?

Check these USA numbers.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=693186&posts=36&start=1

Feel better now?

Things are about to change here also. Reassessment has ag going up about double. Municipal tax may not change much but school tax is going to go crazy.

Comment

Are we seriously Lookjng at one factor to determine how bad or good farming is here compared to there? How much are chemicals fertilizer repairs equipment compared to here? At my scale I get the maximum from all programs probably makes the us farm supports look trivial.
      We re getting screwed so bad.
      Is it still cold up there? I m so rich farming is getting so bad, oh well another tequila and another free plant tour tomorrow. What am I going to do?
      Are green tracks better than red?

Comment

Mb farm land reassessments caused most farmland tax to increase signifigantly last fall, anywhere from 25 to 50%. To top it all off we pay school taxes on every quarter, and school taxes increase 3 to 6% every year. Its the mb way, farmers expected to pay the bulk of rual school costs.

Comment

After years of decline, AB farmland taxes increased slightly last year. Oil companies have notified the counties that they think they are assessed too high on leases so that will put upward pressure on property tax here in the future. Some of those US taxes fail to include state rebates. In Ontario, (correct me if I am wrong) they pay high taxes to the township and then get rebated some of it from the province if you are a farming entity. Some states do it that way as well. The combination of higher land taxes, higher interest rates, and lower commodity prices will cut farmland values unless the Bank of Canada can weaken the $CDN fast enough.

Comment

Probably depends on whether the RM/MD/County is "subsidized" with pipelines, oil wells or what have you.

Comment

It's time to amalgamate rms. My rm has enough new equip if used properly could maintain 3 rms. Also school taxes should be partially funded on a user pay system. Lots of farms don't have children and they don't receive federal tax credits or child support benefits so they shouldn't be paying the same as somebody who may have a handful of kids. Jmo.

Comment

so if you use that logic for education tax would the same logic be applicable to a farmer with only one semi trailer unit. paying less tax than a farmer with six semi trailer units.

Comment

Our county used to be quite well off. Talking with a foreman, revenues falling and poised to continue.
                  Every signal here points to higher land taxes. Arguably overdue perhaps, but with an NDP designing it?
                  It's gonna bleed.

Comment

Good analogy Binthere... But can see the point. The education portion of tax I pay, could have all 3 of my kids in private school. And there's a lot of farms around me with zero kids in school. So where is the money going? A long ways from this RM. Don't know how it works, but more money going out than coming back.

Comment

Those farms that have no kids in school still need educated workers to support their pensions as well as various subsidies they receive. Weather or not public education is doing that job is debatable but not the need for education weather or not you currently have kids in school.

Comment

You could argue that Tenants pay for property taxes through their rent as well, whether urban or rural.

Comment

Funding education through property tax is not fair way to do it. Also I realize that we all have to contribute somewhat to education but I know some in society make a career out of pumping out kids and we all pay for that it is another form of welfare it is time we need to be responsible for ourselves more and not rely on the govt. Guess I'm just bitchy because I sent in my 2016 income tax.

Comment

Yes my property taxes are too high. House is up 22% to $849,000 on a separate lot within Edmonton City limits. Time to fill out the appeal form.

Comment

Our cottage taxes became excessive so I thought I would start with the worksheet. There were lots of mistakes-not at all in our favor and corrections were necessary. Its not a bad exercise for a cold winter day. We were shocked.

As for education tax, I don't know what better way there is to collect it. What bothers me a little is when schools buy things they don't need just to use up their equipment allottment and teachers are going on 1-2 month foreign trips to study schooling in other parts of the world. Don't we have the internet?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...