• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reading NFU thread a question?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reflecting on IF for a moment. Should one admire his conviction or pity his blindness?
    I choose the latter. Conviction holds a nobler tone than which applys here.
    A shred of honor and he would admit the share of blame thats due. Che Guevaras' end.
    IF. The original false news.
    Guess I felt like a brawl and thats all agriville good for lately.
    Last edited by blackpowder; Mar 13, 2017, 10:51.

Comment

So just to be clear you farmers who opposed the wheat board for whatever reason are in favour of single desk selling of potash because?

Since most of you support Brad Wall and his support for Canpotex, this is an interesting position coming from free market oriented farmers who will have nothing to do with marketing boards.

The same can be said for Conservative support for supply management.

So the principle of single desk selling and supply management is okay as long as it add value? And the problem was it didn't add value?

Comment

Why does anyone bother? Moreover, how does one stay polite?
        Phew!! OPEC Uralkali Canpotex, were monopoly sellers.
        You Chuck, were a monopoly buyer. Definition of monopoly I would assume to mean more than 15%?
        And we're supposed to lie down to your green garbage????

I wonder since Mallee started this, could he answer if fanaticism was as deeply entrenched in OZ??

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
          Reflecting on IF for a moment. Should one admire his conviction or pity his blindness?
          A shred of honor and he would admit the share of blame thats due. Che Guevaras' end.

Don't know what Che Guevaras has to do with this. Did he grow wheat on the prairies?

I am not sure what your point is but you have the right to say whatever you want.

Your facts are not accurate and your history distorted. I hope you understand the Mitchel Sharp was first a cabinet minister in 1963 not during the world war two as you stated.

Comment

Why does anyone bother? Moreover, how does one stay polite?
            Phew!! OPEC Uralkali Canpotex, were monopoly sellers.
            You Chuck, were a monopoly buyer. Definition of monopoly I would assume to mean more than 15%?
            And we're supposed to lie down to your green garbage????

I wonder since Mallee started this, could he answer if fanaticism was as deeply entrenched in OZ??
            No because reasons I stated we had a lead in period of deregulated domestic market and semi deregulated export single desk. People started realizing hey this selling for cash and getting all your spondolee upfront wasn't so bad compared to drawn out 18 month pools.

The fact is the single desk is a Monopsony not a Monopoly theres a huge huge difference.

But Canada is WAY WAY different than aust think you guys would have benifited from lead in period of 10 yr plus as well

Comment

Lets stop for a minute and look at 16/17 harvest. Those astute marketers got a high of $305 for wheat I DID NOT we locked in at $272 then sold in small licks down and to packers at good prices.

Pool returns or if single desk was going estimated returns would be at a guess $210 to $220 year like this is when pools failed badly doesn't matted awb or cwb they couldn't compete in falling markets just a fact of life.

Comment

Don't know what Che Guevaras has to do with this. Did he grow wheat on the prairies?

I am not sure what your point is but you have the right to say whatever you want.

Your facts are not accurate and your history distorted. I hope you understand the Mitchel Sharp was first a cabinet minister in 1963 not during the second world war as you stated.

Comment

See what I mean??

Anyway, 10 year lead wasnt possible here for above obvious reasons. Way too much history. Fanatic entrenchment from ideological core. The second they no longer had parliaments ear we had to shoot the dog. Decades of talk useless. Backroom Ottawa knew it for years. Che was also oblivious.

Comment

Top 10 Potash-producing Countries

http://investingnews.com/daily/resource-investing/agriculture-investing/potash-investing/top-potash-producing-countries/

Canada Mine production: 10,000 MT, Russia Mine production: 6,500 MT, Belarus Mine production: 6,400 MT, China Mine production: 6,200 MT, Germany Mine production: 3,100 MT, Jordan Mine production: 1,400 MT, Israel Mine production: 1,300, MT, Chile Mine production: 1,200 MT, Spain Mine production: 700 MT, United Kingdom Mine production: 600 MT

So there is roughly 37,000 million metric tonnes of potash produced in the world Canada produces 10,000 Million metric tonnes

So Canada producing 27% of the worlds potash did not have a monopoly. So wheat and potash are a good comparison and Brad Wall should know this. Why compete with yourself and lower the price for potash or wheat.

The Canadian Wheat Board always received a premium for 1CW 13.5 protein wheat out of Vancouver over US dark Northern wheat out of Portland. Canadian wheat now sells at a discount of $15.00 tonne to Portland wheat.

Grain companies are not marketers they are margin traders and if they make a margin they sell.

The Canadian Wheat Board returned value to farmers and here are two examples..

In the 2010/2011 crop year, for example the CWB premium for 15.5 protein CRSW was $3.46 a bushel extra. This is $173 more per acre for the protein on a 50 bushel crop.

The Canadian Wheat Board returned value to farmers. In the 2007-2008 crop year my take home net price for the #2 RSW with 15.5% or higher protein was indeed $12.64 / bushel. It should be noted that the Canadian dollar was near par with the US dollar in this period. In Canada we have the the Harper dollar that is at 74 cents US right now.

Does anyone on here seriously think that these prices $12.64 a bushel for 1 RS and protein premiums of $3,46 a bushel will ever be achieved again with four monopoly grain companies in charge of grain marketing?

Comment

Comment

So what is your position on Canpotex and supply management for dairy and poultry? No answer yet. Both are effective mechanisms to raise prices and manage supply for producers. Conservatives and the Sask party seem to support both. Why? Isn't the free market supposed to be better! Try to answer the question BP. Your non -answers so far are all politics and hot air!

Comment

maybe the farmers for less should put the blame where it belongs, on themselves. maybe get out and find out what union government employees who have a little power are really like.i have friends ,relatives etc who have told me what its like for someone who gets a little power and what assholes they become.u try and tell them a better way of doing things and they wont listen and are total assholes.the cwb were warned that changes should happen and as usual they were arrogant. the blame starts with the union government employees at the cwb.thanks harper and ritz for making me more money.would be nice if a former cwb employee would write a book telling us all the screwups of the cwb. i would donate to that.

Comment

How is it possible to regulate supply growing crops Chucky ?? You have a magic weather machine ?
                            The dead horse was a monopoly buyer - not a monopoly seller .

Comment

The CWB was a single desk seller that was run by farmers for the benefit of farmers. The Board of Directors was elected by farmers. Now we have a handfull of not very competitive grain companies whose only mandate is to maximize profits for shareholders, not farmers! That is a big difference in the way the system operates. Regardless of whether there were real or percieved shortcomings at the CWB, farmers were able to oversee operations and had the fiduciary responsibility to act in the best interest of farmers.

Just a reminder that we didn't control the supply of wheat but if you wanted to buy high quality Canadian wheat you had no other choice but to buy from the CWB. In the durum market Canada often controlled over 50% of the world exportable supply which is enough to extract higher prices with careful market management. That market power can never be replaced in an open market unless you are a monopoly seller.

Richard Gray's work and other economists clearly showed the benefits of the single desk. Now I know most of you don't believe in peer reviewed economic studies and analysis, so I don't expect you to change your mostly political opinions.

The CWB is gone but the complaints about the price of wheat, grain transportation and grain comapanies have not. That in the end says it all.

Comment

Hundreds of millions being invested in grain system infrastructure. Things are looking up

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...