• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accumulated surplus

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accumulated surplus

The Canadian Grain Commission has a surplus on fees collected of over $100 million.
    It is asking for discussion on what to do with the surplus.
    Preferred choice for me would be to return it to service users through lower fees.
    Could be done lowering fees by estimated amount and length of time required.
    Would not like to see Commission go off on a tangent like putting money toward research or buying grain cars.

My guess is they throw it into general revenues. ....

Comment

I see two alternatives:

1) Mail out cheques totalling $100 million to farmers.
      2) Reduce or eliminate fees until the $100 million + interest is accounted for.

Comment

Invest it for a rainy day like when one of their bonded buyers goes down and the bond won't cover 20 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
          Invest it for a rainy day like when one of their bonded buyers goes down and the bond won't cover 20 cents.
          Think it is their mandate to make sure bonds are large enough to cover liabilities.

Comment

I would like a cheque in the mail..regardless of the amount.

Comment

Hire an officer to stand guard in every terminal to limit the obscene stealing.. Personally don't want a cheque. Want value for that money

Comment

Can someone please explain how every ****ing load of cereal grain bought at prairie terminals is weighed,tested,cleaned for export and somehow the grade changes between prairie and port and then somehow 100 million gets charged back to farmers.

Comment

Give it to the grain cos and railways.

Comment

That's what happens after you kiss your grain goodbye when you open the slide

Oh and remember the grain commission needs a 1000 gram sample before they can help you out

Comment

Re-implement the commissioners and decent grading system with vomi and falling numbers.

Comment

JDgreen.....I think that is the most derogatory thing I've seen you say about "them"...

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                          Re-implement the commissioners and decent grading system with vomi and falling numbers.
                          Grain Farmers Advocacy Office.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, right now the CGC is part of the problem and not part of the solution when it comes to vomi and fusarium tolerances. Like I've said thousand times before, with the tolerances set where they are, they may as well be zero!

How hard is it to pick out .25% for CWRS to knock it down a grade or .5% to knock durum down two grades.....****ing ridiculous! Then the NON-GRADING factor vomitoxin that is getting used to beat us down. A while ago I posted a link to a NDSU paper that claims vomitoxin is seldom dangerous to humans unless "consumed in very high quantities".

What happened to mildew and ergot tolerances? And in the meantime billions will be stolen using unrealistic fusarium tolerances and the vomitoxin lie!

Maybe it would be easier to haul everything to the slough and let "insurance" compensate for incompetancy instead of standing up and speaking out against unrealistic expectations. In 2014 I grew commercial salvage...cleaned it(about 18-20% removed) and got $7.06 for the cleaned product and $3.25 for shit screenings!
                            Last edited by farmaholic; Mar 6, 2017, 19:30.

Comment

Excuse this question if you like. I'm a beef farmer, my understanding of the politics of grain are next to nil. Also, I understand the ability to vent online.

But to you guys who really don't seem to like terminals... Are you friendly when you deliver grain? Because it just seems to me that you would be quite grumpy old farmers based on what you say on here. (Not saying this in any sort of relevance to what your grain ends up grading. Just curious if you're nice to their faces and then spew disgust and dislike everywhere else) Also, do you think/feel terminal staff are out to get you or do you differentiate between them and the procedures implemented by the companies and CGC?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...