• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When are you too old to work on the farm?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When are you too old to work on the farm?

Any thoughts on this?

We have a neighbour that I am worried about...he does not seem to want to slow down.
    He is in his early eighties and generally very healthy but a farm can be a dangerous workplace.

Anyone handle this delicate situation on your operation?

Thanks.

Let him be. Give him a hand if he needs it. He could very likely die in a farm accident, or simply pass away while operating equipment. I know of similar fellows and dying while farming is the way they want to go. Not sitting in a bed in a nursing home, slowly wasting away. They can get angry real quick with anyone who suggests otherwise. Tread carefully.

Comment

I assume he isn't the sole operator? I don't think anyone should work/manage a farm alone.

Slow reflexes, slow reaction time, slow moving and carelessness can cause dangerous situations when working alone or with another person. My dad did things as long as he could and then only as long as he wanted. But there comes a time for the safety of themselves and others if they don't step back on their own they have to be told "no".

Tough for everyone involved.

Comment

Both good points of view and we care for him.
        Want him to be happy but worry about safety.
        Does not need the money.
        Don't want him to wither away in a home either.
        Thanks for the advice.

Comment

If he doesn't have one, ask him/get him/convince him to get/carry a cell phone.

Comment

Our nabour who farmed beside us farmed until he was in his 90's and had a few cows too

A very interesting fellow

Comment

As soon as the ole timers are forced out of doing what they love..it's game over. I have seen it countless times, retirement at an elderly age often results in a rapid loss of health. Hard to explain why it happens but I know we have all seen people die of a "broken heart" shortly after the loss of a loved one. staying busy doing what he loves is keeping him alive.

As for an age,,nah doesn't exist. Everyone is different. Lots of 60 year olds should of quit long ago, while some 80 year olds are still hard to keep up with.

Comment

An old bachelor neighbour of ours climbed a ladder to roof of steel bin. The ladder fell, and he stayed there for about five hours when some one drove into the yard. I think a travelling salesman. Lucky guy didn't have to jump.

Comment

yesterday

Comment

Two grandpa's. ..same message. ..

Just let me die with my boots on...

They did not...

Comment

Best way to go is with a smile on your face.

Comment

Is that the definition of a "happy ending"?!?!? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          Is that the definition of a "happy ending"?!?!? Lol.
                          No farma ..definition of climax...lol

Comment

Had a neighbour still farming at 89 but was increasingly becoming a problem around machinery, just no longer fit to be driving or be operating it. If you take away their keys you are taking away their freedom and often their desire to keep on living. Sadly he died in an accident with a bale processor but he was still happy working on his farm right to the end. Tough on the family left behind though - lots of "what ifs?"

Comment

My Retirement plan, is to get shot by a jealous husband at the age of 96 while crawling out of his wife's bedroom window

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...