• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diefenbaker a great Canadian lovingly called Dief the Chief looking back pipelines

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diefenbaker a great Canadian lovingly called Dief the Chief looking back pipelines

THE GREAT PIPELINE DEBATE 1956

Prime Minister St. Laurent and his Liberals introduced legislation to have the Canadian government lend $80 million to the U.S.-controlled Trans-Canada Pipe Lines Ltd., to build a pipeline from Alberta to Winnipeg in order to export natural gas to the United States.

Diefenbaker in the House of Commons
    The loan was the key to a deal with high-flying Texas tycoons who for half a dozen years had been wheeling and dealing with the so-called "minister of everything," C.D. Howe, minister of defence production, minister of trade and commerce, and all-powerful in the St. Laurent government. The autocratic Howe demanded that the loan go through quickly so the pipeline could be finished before the next federal election, and he induced the government to impose closure to limit debate on the measure ... Diefenbaker, and other Tories seized on the arrogance of Howe and the Liberals to begin the most raucous episode in the House of Commons in this century, the infamous "Pipeline Debate." (1)
    Dief was in high form:

John Diefenbaker shouted about the Liberals' "brutalitarian tactics" and "executive absolutism," but he had equally poisonous contempt for the buccaneering Texas tycoons – "those Texas millionaires; those pampered pets" – especially Clint Murchison, C.D. Howe's friend and the central Trans-Canada Pipe Lines financier, whom Diefenbaker called a "pirate" who was "financin' by finaglin'." He accused the government of "playing around with . . . these adventurers from Texas and New York, trading away Canada's national resources at the expense of the Canadian people." The deal, Diefenbaker said, would make Canada "a virtual economic forty-ninth state." (1)

The Liberals had a strong majority and the legislation was passed, but it would come back to bite them on the butt.

That August, then Tory leader George Drew fell ill and John Diefenbaker would win the leadership. And though considered a long shot, he built his campaign on the "Pipe-line debates"

With eyes flaming, arms flailing and shoulders and jowls aquiver, Diefenbaker travelled the nation, fervently drying out for "One Canada!" and exultantly proclaiming, "I have come here with a vision of our nation's destiny." It was a "Canada first" vision expounded with visceral nationalism. "I have but one love, Canada. One purpose, its "greatness," he would say. Canadians hadn't heard such a magnificent spellbinder since the heyday of Sir John A. Macdonald.

My comment
    I wonder what the chief would think of our country with pipelines taking our nonrenewable energy to the tycoons in the US. The National Energy Board Diefenbaker set up had policies to protect Canadian energy for Canadians.

Diefenbaker was a Canadian visionary...

Comment

Canada First eh??

Comment

Diefenbaker... the man who single handedly killed Canada's military aviation industry and gave the Americans their space shuttle and fly by wire systems.

Comment

Klause

Hello....true he did have his faults....

Comment

Have you ever met an opposition party who didn't oppose most of the ruling party's agenda? Its their job! Even if they're wrong.
            Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 26, 2017, 06:59. Reason: spelling Nazi

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Have you ever met an opposition party who didn't oppose most of the ruling party's agenda? Its their job! Even if they're wrong.
              While this is true of most politicians that is not necessarily true of Diefenbaker. I am very interested in history and on the pipeline debate of that era history tells us that the Canadian Route that Diefenbaker envisioned actually came to fruition

This map shows the Trans Canada pipe line
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransCanada_pipeline#/media/File:TransCanada_pipeline.png

Diefenbaker also be credited with bringing in the Charter of rights and past legislation allowing first nations people the right to vote.

Diefenbaker opposed US ballistic missiles with nuclear war heads on Canadian soil. This was overturned by the succeeding Liberal government. Diefenbaker stood up to the US and John Kennedy at the time referred to him as "that son of a bitch"

Diefenbaker was also played a major role in bringing in public health care in Canada. Diefenbaker appointed his friend and colleague Emmett Hall to chair a royal commission on health care. Hall recommended a public health care program that went behind what we have today. Hall recommended it include dental care and a drug program for seniors.

Diefenbaker was unlike the politicians of today such as Mulroney and Harper who end up on corporate boards for their services rendered. Even Gary Doer former Premier of Manitoba after being Canada's ambassador to the US ended up on many of the same corporate boards with Mulroney. They were the best that money can buy.

Farmers from my fathers era remember and supported Diefenbaker for starting sales of wheat to China. This eventually led to grain sales to the Russia. Having these markets was very important ot Canadian farmers.

Comment

Poor dief was ousted by his own party in the end. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Dalton Camp in on that one too? He helped punt Joe "Who" Clark too.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...