• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This would not have happened with the CWB--- Ideologues may differ

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This would not have happened with the CWB--- Ideologues may differ

There are so many sad stories and they all pertain to the loss of CWB single desk.

Here is an article from DTN about US and Canadian durum situation.

"There were lots of issues with contracts up here last fall that were being handled differently from company to company," said Cliff Jamieson, DTN Canadian Grains Analyst. "I heard about a farmer that had 4CWAD contracts in place with two companies roughly in the $6/bushel area. Grain was grading Canada feed, so one company was reported to be deducting around $3/bu., the other over $5/bu. Doesn't leave much left for the grower, especially when you spend three to four months trying to get it off the field."

Jamieson said that last fall, "Farmers in Canada not meeting required grades on their contracted durum were facing the prospect of writing a check for tens of thousands, in some cases hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy out their contract, unless they could roll it." He said he had heard a buyout on a farmer's contract could be as high as $250,000. The farmer, like many others in the area, was not able to harvest all of his durum and the poor quality didn't meet his contract requirements.

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/perspectives/blogs/market-matters-blog/blog-post/2017/02/13/hard-amber-durum-noodle-wheat-faces-2

Similar outcomes would have happened with the CWB around. The reality was that the durum did not meet spec. so the CWB would have discounted hard as well if they could have moved it. I had to cash pay a CWB advance due to circumstances beyond my control one time and they made me pay the penalty interest rate so I am sure that they would be applying all applicable penalties in this circumstance as well. Thinking otherwise is just naive.

Comment

For every famer (like In-te-gritty farmer) crying crocodile tears, there are a hundred doing a happy dance.

Comment

For you Braveheart the Urban dictionary definition of "Happy dance"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Happy%20Dance

Comment

There are more sad examples of loss from 80 years frozen in time.
          Perhaps it could have turned out better, but it didn't.
          What personal glee chkchks alt identity IFfarm gets out of this I don't care.

California wants a bill making climate denying an offence. Et tu Brute??
          After a civil war there is often a group revising history for many reasons.
          Saddest of all for some may be the fool some are making of themselves.

Comment

Let it go intreg 5 we got screwed a lot worse with the board very happy it is gone.I HAVE CONTROL OVER MY GRAIN!

Comment

if this is the system we are in, hey they took the risk signing the contracts.
              pay the bill.
              my neighbour , signed pea contracts whole crop , last winter, bone dry conditions.

i only did 5 bushel/acre . chicken , he did great , i did OK

the same guy bitching , probably wanted the board gone
              so pay up.
              pretty simple

Comment

"Everybody into the "pyoool""..... too funny.

Then it was optional

Then it was over...

Comment

Maybe don't try to sell quality you don't have?

Comment

Pretty risky selling something you dont have. Greed can play havoc in a marketing plan.

Comment

I don't like prepricing ungrown grain that is susceptible to easy downgrading either.

Greed.....Yup. But I like to call it maximizing profits! Everybody else in the chain is doing it.

Comment

Pre pricing grain is great now getting out of contract is usually easy and costs very little if anything , wish I was 29 now I would make so much money without the crooked Union government employees .

Comment

Wiseguy

Couldn't agree more....wheat at the west coast to the prairies is more than 2.50 per bushel spread and yet the basis doesn't reflect that.....

You have guys bitching about the CGC having a slush fund for the work they do out west and yet we pay that and the freight and get a prairie price that isn't reflective of anything.

Much the same as when the cwb was in place ....but you know the money is going to grain cos now ....back then it was into general revenues for the country...

There is an article in the western producer about the pending disaster out west....with all the money others have swindled off farmers and no one can figure out all weather loading??????

Comment

Oddly enough, engineers could figure out how to put an overhang over the stands in the new Mosaic Stadium or if they wanted to spend the cash even a "retractable" roof over the whole thing! What's the total yearly value of the commodity grain being loaded on those vessels? And the net profits from handling that grain from the Inland Terminal to the Port Terminal(both Inland and Port terminals owned by the same Company)?

In most other businesses the "consumer" pays for business upgrades and expansion(you define it because there are many types handling it between the Port Terminal and the absolute end of the line for the consumed commodity)not the "supplier" of the raw commodity.

Comment

The new stadium looks like a ****ing toilet seat from above....exactly where this province is headed ....down the shitter. ...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...